Windows Help for clean install of Windows 8.1 on HP ultrabook

cool_cat

Adept
HP Envy4 ultrabook pre-loaded with Windows 8 upgradable to 8.1. No product keys etc(in BIOS). I want to do a clean re-install using Windows 8.1 disc(downloaded from ms servers). Here's what I assume needs to be done.
1. wipe out SSD and hard drive (ultrabook OS is loaded in a SSD) including recovery partition.
2. Install OS into SSD. partition hard drive as you like
3. install drivers downloaded from HP product support website.
^ Is that enough. Since product key is embedded in BIOS, will I need to worry if the OS license will be valid? I have backed product keys etc.
My main doubt is whether it is needed to create a system recovery image using HP recovery manager?
Please add what other things needs to be done. will be installing Linux - dual booting later on.

You can perform a clean install of Windows 8.1 on the ultrabook. However, my advice is to be careful, in case things did not work out as they should.

Therefore, I will advise not to remove the recovery partition immediately. First, install Windows 8.1 on the SSD, or the hard drive, without removing the recovery partition, and see if things work out fine. If the OS is able to install, and it works great, then you can go ahead and remove the recovery partition too. Otherwise, if things do not go as planned, and you remove the recovery partition too, you will not be able to even factory reset the ultrabook. So, just be careful.

In any case, I will advise creating an image of the hard drive having the OS, along with the recovery partition.

I will also ask, why do you want to perform a clean install? Why not just download the Windows 8.1 upgrade? Or, do you just want to start fresh, since you have the Windows 8.1 disc now?

You should note down the Windows key from the BIOS, and keep it safe somewhere. Do not take a chance. There are different software and ways in which the Windows key from BIOS can be recovered. Please see my post here:

https://www.techenclave.com/communi...8-1-from-8-clean-install.170907/#post-2000930

You should note down the Windows key from the BIOS, and keep it safe somewhere. Do not take a chance. There are different software and ways in which the Windows key from BIOS can be recovered. Please see my post here:
yes. I've backed up the product keys. I tried to create recovery image using HP recovery manager with external hard drive. However, this tool does not allow image to be copied into external hard drive. It needs either a 32GB pen drive or DVD's! I wonder, whether any trick exists so as to identify external hard drive as USB drive.

Back