Camera Help For Digital Camera ( Full List Included ) ??

Praks

Skilled
Hello friends,

Need help to choose a Digital camera.

Budget - Max of 13000/14000 (With 1/2 GB Memorycards + Charger + Pouch )

Requirement - Min 6 to 8 Megapixel
Optical zoom - 3 to 6 X
Good Battery backup
Good service support & after sales in India.
Can Record Video also, with TV out if possible
Amazing Picture Clarity is MUST.

Just wondering how All weather camera ( Only available with Olympus ) helps saving camera from water / rain ?

Here are few which I heard are good & short listed after checking various sites.

:cool2:

Canon Powershot A630
Canon Powershot A570 IS
Canon Power Shot A710 IS
Canon S2 IS / Canon S3 IS

Kodak EasyShare C763
Kodak EasyShare C613
( I heard All Kodak cams are battery hogger, Is it True ? )

Sony DSC W55
Sony DSC W80

Olympus Stylus 740
Olympus Stylus 750
Olympus Stylus 780
(All Olympus cams are Water proof, Shock proof. Does it really help ?? Can I take pics inside water using it ? ) :huh:

Would be glad if anyone can help me choose a best one.

( Please give ur opinion about any other camera in my budget from which you are really satisfied )

Stick with Canon. Either the A710 IS (for a slimmer cam) or the S3 IS (for a bulkier but more featured cam).

The S3 IS comes with a 12x optical zoom lens !

In the whole list provided by you, Canon S3 IS is the best option. Lot of options in the camera. If you are into serious photography, this is the best option as an entry. It will work as an introduction to digital SLRs.
Get the Canon S3 IS or you can try Sony DHC H2 also. both are almost same in features.

Forget water shooting :p

At max, those cameras are water resistant, not water proof :p Means splashe of water, not dipped in water AFAIK. Most of the models at least ;) Even with most canon cameras you can buy separate external water resistant/ water proof (not sure) cases sold by canon itself

Ok guys..

Olympus & Kodak is almost out of list.. Do anyone still recommend them ?

Help me choose from Canon & Sony...

The Oly 720SW is water PROOF - i.e you can use it in the sea or the pool up to a 10 ft depth. The 770SW upto 33ft and the 790SW upto 10 ft. HOWEVER, unless you need the waterproof capability of the camera, go with the canon A710 or the S3/S5, those are very good cameras.

I would recommend Canon Powershot S3 IS. It has got 12X Optical Zoom and good image stabilization. It uses 4 AA batteries, hence no problems if you are in woods. Videos are smooth and really matches a video of camcorder. Single recharge of Ni-MH batteries around 410 shots for me.

price update (and sad facts of life)
went to all good shops in kolkata
EVERYONE says s3 IS is discontinued (for many months now, according to them) and offer the s5 IS BUT the canon website still shows s3 IS ??!!!
s5 IS is about 4K costlier and there is nothing to justify this much
extra
trust canon to rob us poor indians :-(
at last got price for s3 is in grey rs 13,700 /- (only cam)
and sony h3 grey rs 13,000/- (only cam)
so which is better ???

S3 is much better than H3. I have checked it myself. During my purchase, I was confused between H3, S3, H5 and S5.

I ignored H3 & H5 due to these reasons:

- No AA rechargable batteries. This is a must needed feature for me. Canon has it.

- Poor image stabilization compared to Canon.

Back