Help for low Power consumtion charity PC

rakesh_sharma23

Do It Yourself
Adept
Reason to start this thread is that I want help from you guys
I am making a PC to give as charity to a poor child, he is very good in studies. But his family won’t accept the computer, they are very poor and says it will increase their electrical expenses. (They have just one light bulb and a fan).
So I am making very low power consumption yet a good PC to help the child.

I have so far collected following hardware:-
1. AMD Sempron 140
2. Asus M2N68-Plus Mobo
3. 1GB DDRII
4. 15†Samsung LCD monitor
5. Microsoft Wireless Bundle with 2 rechargeable battery pair (Which can be charged at my house free of the cost)
6. USB Laptop DVD-rw (Plug when needed)
7. No case as Pc will be assembled in a cardboard box.

I still have to decide about the HDD and PSU. Here I need your help.
For HDD what should I use a laptop hdd or WD Green HDD?
And which PSU?

Any other suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks for reading.

Rakesh Sharma

@ rakesh brother,

i have a smps, but it lost its capacitors will it be of any help for you?

and i have 512mb ddr 1 ram, can you use that?

i m ready help you bro...

and i read in paper, kapil sibal has launched a new computer for 1.5k yesterday. it wud be available from next year onwards it seems ...

anyways, let me know, how i can help him...

good luck for you and best wishes for him..

Thanks.
But local smps are not low in power consumption actually they are power hungry beasts. I have tested few of SMPS.
I dont want to put more burden on them by increasing their electric bill.

You might as well get the kid a netbook. It'll be portable , run on battery power in case of electricity issues and if you like , the kid can charge the netbook at your home. This way there will be no increment in the electricity bill for them.

go for a netbook, its more capable then sempron and also can be charged outside, some netbooks model of lenovo are advertised 8+ hours in a single charge. that sounds the best deal.

Thanks for you kind replies.

I am seriously concern about the computing needs of student and will netbook serve it.
Second netbook need very carefull handling, child is no-bo in computers will he be able to take care of the netbook. If some mishandling happened the whole idea of helping and charity will stand to nothing.

a net book can't even replace P3 system.

Suggetions
1. FSP SAGA 350 should not consume too much power.
2. you can get used ATX cabinet for as low as 250/-
3. laptop hdd surely consumes less power, it is way costlier than the 3.5"
4. don't give speakers. no movies and songs. PC will be used for studies only

Since you mention that the kid can charge his laptop/netbook at your house, why not ask the kid to come and work on the computer at your house daily for an hour or two? That was you can also guide/teach him stuff since you tag him as a newbie to computers. This will ease their concern of an increased power bill.

Get him an Intel Atom system

In that way the power consumption will be kept low. even at Peak it can touch max 60Watts

I am building my Uncle a similar system and this is the config i would give you.

Please modify accordingly for your needs.

Mobo+Proccy: GA-D510UD (pretty hard to find hence I recommend Intel D510MO which is cheaper but passive cooled)

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Green 64MB cache

Cabinet: CFI - A8989 (check ebay for this)

RAM: Transcend JetRAM 2GB DDR2 800Mhz

Monitor: Check for 2nd hand LCD's or Get a Basic LCD. (I have a used Gateway LCD 17 inch 4:3 max res 1280x1024. If you want let me know.)

Keyboard+ Mouse combos any one from Logitech or Microsoft.

Speakers: good 2.0 speakers or basic 2.1

I can't recollect anything else to add.

PM me for the LCD if you are interested.

First of all, hats off to you for doing this.

Secondly, I think a netbook is more rugged than a desktop computer. Especially one housed in a cardboard box. Everythings securely packed, so no chance of something coming loose. If the screen breaks...if the kid is really very careless...then you can always plug it into a 15" monitor.
Regarding computing power...I think a childs needs would be using the net, and doing some programming, so yes...it will suffice. It'll take him some time to learn the basics of programming, and he won't need any advanced tools till then.
It'll take him time to learn about the OS, apps like words processors, spreadsheets etc...and then os installs and then programming...so the netbook should tide him over for 1-2 years easy.

Kudos to you mate for what you are doing...:hap2:Also i feel an atom rig would be more than sufficient for the boy&to add its low power consumption..This not only reduces the cost of rig but it will be more than sufficient...:)

Well thanks all for your kind replies and responce.

Good news is that a local dealer is ready to donate child a new Asus Netbook + a extra battery + free life time service in exchange of all the hardware we have collected till now.
Child is too happy, he will get the product with in a week.

Back