Graphic Cards Help guys...plz advice

sushantsjain

Disciple
Dear all,

I am a total novice and need to ask you guys something about ATI SAPPHIRE HD3870 X2 1GB card.

I have a offer to buy a second hand card and i have two queries:

1. Whether I should buy this card (or not). It is more than 3 yrs old.

2. If yes, then what should be its approximate value/price.

FYI, I have never used a GPU ever and completely depend on your advice as to but this or not.

Please help and advice me asap.

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards

max to max 1k, but even thats a litle too much i'd stay away from the card. The power consumption is too much for such little performance in today's standards.

sushantsjain said:
Dear all,

I am a total novice and need to ask you guys something about ATI SAPPHIRE HD3870 X2 1GB card.

I have a offer to buy a second hand card and i have two queries:

1. Whether I should buy this card (or not). It is more than 3 yrs old.

2. If yes, then what should be its approximate value/price.

FYI, I have never used a GPU ever and completely depend on your advice as to but this or not.

Please help and advice me asap.

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards

First you have to asses what you are going to use the card for ? It appears from your post that your onboard graphics has served you well till now.

Are you planing to game or require higher graphics for work?

Secondly the existing hardware that you have got will it accommodate the Card especially the SMPS as this is a power guzzler ?

The card is PCIe or AGP ? Check if your mobo slot is compatible.

What are the other hardware that you have got as this card alone will not do wonders if the cpu/RAM cant keep up with it.

Clarify these points to enable the members to guide you seriously

Thanks guys....

I am sure I am not buying this card. There is no real need for me to get a graphics card, was just being curious. But looking at the suggestions I would rather not buy it.

@shravank30 : I dont need a graphics card. Though my SMPS might support it but am not sure about other components.

Not buying this card for sure. Will try and but something from the TE market or probably will not.

Thanks a lot again everyone for their valuable inputs.

motorheadinc said:
Prehistoric card as per todays standards. Stay Away. Use it only if you get it for free :)
LOL well said. Not quite prehistoric but there are better cards released recently which consume less power, dissipate less heat and provides better performance for the same bucks. So it certainly doesn't make sense to invest in a 3870X2 which is more than 3 years old.

A realistic price would be about ~2.5k since it doesn't have any warranty. A somewhat similar but a slightly older card would be the HD4850 512MB. :)

Back