CPU/Mobo help in buying mobo and cpu

zapout

Disciple
i am upgrading my motherboard and cpu from my old Intel d102ggc2 & p4 3.2ghz
my budget is 6K
i am confused between amd & intel:huh:
please help me decide,
and also specify mobo and cpu

The AMD combo has become much cheaper now.

i) AMD Athlon II 240(3k)+Biostar A785GE(3.3k) - 6.3k (The biostar mobo has verey good IGP(HD4200). The only IGP which is direct x 10.1 complaint and can play HD videos and support light gaming with ease)

ii) AMD Athlon II 240(3k)+ Asus AMD 740G M2A74-AM(2.9k) - 5.9k(The 740G is also way better the G31 IGP)

Last option is

iii) Intel E-5200(3.3k)+ Gigabyte EG31-S2L(2.3k) -5.6k. The onboard IGP G31 is crap.

As a combo the AMD is much better. Go for the first option with the 785GE board. You wont regret paying 300Rs more than your budget :eek:hyeah:

Hey everybody,
Not wanting to start a new thread for a query in the same vein, I'm posting this here:

I've got a Celeron 1.8GHz, 256MB SDRam (DDR ports dead on mobo), nVidia Geforce FX550, with all USB ports dying a slow death and the system clock running ahead of its time despite my repeatedly setting it to the correct date and time. There's a DVD R/W and CD R/W attached, alongwith 120GB HDD. Monitor's a 15''LCD and the Keyboard-Mouse are working good too, and so is the SMPS and the ATX cabinet. I've got about 756MB of DDR RAM lying around because of the dead DDR ports

Basically it seems the mobo's going down slowly one component at a time; for instance my onboard VGA just conked off one day with no display and some beeps at system startup; had to switch to the nVidia after that.

I've been wondering, would it be possible to use the good components from this system to build another system using with a good mobo and processor. I've budgeted about 5-6K for the upgrade. The main uses for this system would be a) Internet Access (browsing+downloads) b) Gaming and c) some MSOffice apps (I guess this one's already covered if we build something for points a & b :))

Could someone help me with this please? Any help would be appreciated.
I was considering checking out some used stuff as well, but couldn't find many good leads from the internet.

I am in Pune, so if you've got any trusty dealers' addresses to share, I'd be really happy. :)

Thanks in advance for your help

If this is a completely different setup, get the Athlon X2 240 + 785 board.
If you'll be using the 8600GT on this, get the E5xxx + Gigabyte G31.

viralbug said:
You already seem to be having an 8600gt. If you plan to keep it, then go for the Intel combo.
Yes he is absoulutely right .if you have a 8600 gt then it's not worth paying .7k fro AMD combo:)

Back