Budget 51-70k Help in choosing a 34inch widescreen monitor for work

rahuljawale

Patron
I have been infatuated with Dell U3421WE at out newly renovated office. After using a widescreen at work, I have been looking for a similar setup at home. I currently have a two 24" monitor setup. But it feels clumsy most of the times. I could never find a sweet spot for positioning and I always end up feeling fatigued within a short span. For me, the important specs are
  1. IPS panel
  2. USB C - PD (for charging)
  3. Curved screen
  4. At least two additional video inputs (HDMI or DP)
So I have short listed couple of models, one each of Samsung and LG. I would like to hear what community thinks of those models and would also like to hear suggestions, if any.

• LG 34WQ75C on Amazon
  • Samsung LC34J791WTWXXL on Amazon (Though the model uses a VA panel, I have heard that Samsung has refined their technology to suppress shortcomings of a VA panel)

Note: I briefly considered Dell U3423WE priced at 93k on Dell website. Money isn't the problem, but I cannot justify spending so much on a monitor. :)

Some alternatives I can suggest with the two mentioned are-
1) Benq ex3415r: comes around 66-70K, This monitor is very close to the dell but with high refresh panel.

2) HP X34 UWQHD Gaming Monitor 34 inch, 165hz, VESA mountable, FLAT IPS Panel: https://amzn.eu/d/0W9KsGv

3) The cheapest flat 34inch panel- Acer CB342K , FLAT IPS, QHD, 75Hd @27k: https://amzn.eu/d/4oR9G3o

All the three lack PD charging btw.

Also regarding Samsung model, dont get that the smearing will ruin your experience while working with terminals or anything that has dark mode. Samsung has produced good va panel by driving them to their limit but those models are few and far between like Odyssey g7/g8 series being one.

Last edited:
damn you should have gone for

in past two sales it was at 58 and after cards it was really near 50-52 mark .Might say third sale would be a lucky for you

Thanks but 48 inches is a little too big for the working space at home. In fact it is even bigger than the living room TV. :p

Some alternatives I can suggest with the two mentioned are-
1) Benq ex3415r: comes around 66-70K, This monitor is very close to the dell but with high refresh panel.

2) HP X34 UWQHD Gaming Monitor 34 inch, 165hz, VESA mountable, FLAT IPS Panel: https://amzn.eu/d/0W9KsGv

3) The cheapest flat 34inch panel- Acer CB342K , FLAT IPS, QHD, 75Hd @27k: https://amzn.eu/d/4oR9G3o

All the three lack PD charging btw.

Also regarding Samsung model, dont get that the smearing will ruin your experience while working with terminals or anything that has dark mode. Samsung has produced good va panel by driving them to their limit but those models are few and far between like Odyssey g7/g8 series being one.

Thanks @Alucard1729 . I will research more on those models. TBH, I did not consider other brands for the fear of their after-sales service. Do you know how Benq and Acer fare with respect to their service in India?

Do you know how Benq and Acer fare with respect to their service in India?
Talking about after sales is tricky as you would hear horror stories for every brand listed here.
If you buy from amazon, use the 5-7 days to ascertain any faults.
Local shop purchase, you are at the mercy of the companies. Acer is decent at best for tier 1 cities, they forward your case to local third party service centers, so you will have to see few reddit posts for Acer service in your locality. Benq and LG, haven't heard too many horror stories, might use third party service centers similar to Acer.
Dell had been great with their support but that might be because of having premium care subscription at the time.

Thank you @Alucard1729 for taking time to write a detailed response. I think I will go with the LG model since it fits the bill.

@TinTinSnowy with a flat screen, depending on the distance between you and the screen, you may have trouble reading the details on the far right or far left edges. Curved screen tries to follow natural field of view and reduces distortion at the very edges. This illustration explains the technicalities better
1697958786103.png

source: https://www.viewsonic.com/library/entertainment/curved-vs-flat-monitors/

Anyone care to explain what the advantage of ultrawide is when you can get a physically bigger and sharper 4k screen for lesser?

PS: the above image is misleading because the curved screen is actually bigger than the flat screen. In reality, curving a screen would decrease it's width and increase the depth/thickness

In my experience, it is the ability of arranging multiple windows side by side. I work in tech industry and my job involves debugging code while running a reproducer in web browser. So at a minimum we need two screens to work so that we don't lose context when switching between the windows.

I have a single widescreen monitor at work and at home, I have a three monitor setup with two Dell P24s and one portable Viewsonic. After using both setups for a few months I found that a single widescreen monitor can offer same amount of real estate as that of the two large monitors but without the seams (literally!) and less clutter of cables. So I believe widescreens find their use in tech industry more than others.

@n1r0 not sure why the illustration appears misleading to you. Agreed that straight line width decreases and depth increases for a widescreen, but I don't see any claims made by the author that could appear misleading. :)

Blue box = flat screen copy-pasted from right, only colour has been changed.
As you can see the curved is noticeably wider.
If both were of same size, a curved screen will appear smaller than flat. I was surprised by this when I got a curved 32" screen as replacement for my flat 32"

Curved Monitor.jpg

...multiple windows side by side
...at a minimum we need two screens to work
...same amount of real estate as that of the two large monitors but without the seams
I feel you'll get more screen area at a lesser price and more pixel density (PPI) if you go for:
  • 16:9 4k instead of 21:9 1440p UW
  • 16:9 1440p instead of 21:9 1080p UW
It seems ultra wides are overpriced: 1440p UW costs more than a physically larger 16:9 4k. Same for 1080p UW and 16:9 1440p

Here's a quick size/screen area comparison of 27" QHD, 34" UW QHD & (hypothetical) 36" 4k monitor

1440p UW 4k.png

While you may think UW QHD = QHD + extra width, the reality is
UW QHD = cropped version of 4k
And you are paying more for UW, whereas with 4k one could get:
  • taller screen, hence more area
  • more PPI, hence sharper image
If the price of UW was actually between that of QHD & 4k, this argument would not exist, but that is not the case. And since no 36" 4k screens exist, you would be getting an even wider/taller screen with a 38"

@rahuljawale since you are going to use this monitor for work, i am planning to purchase 27 inch monitor too, most of my work is related to MS Office and lots of reading.
If may ask what kind of work ?

Why have you selected widescreen,
Isn't 34 inch too big compared to 27 inch,
Are you planning to do gaming on this widescreen monitor or only work ?
Any other things you will be using this monitor for.

Thanks for reading.

@rahuljawale since you are going to use this monitor for work, i am planning to purchase 27 inch monitor too, most of my work is related to MS Office and lots of reading.
If may ask what kind of work ?

Why have you selected widescreen,

Thanks for reading.
Widescreen are pleasure to work with when you have multiple windows opened up. Good for gaming/productivity and movie watching is such a pleasure in that 21:9 format.
PS : At home I am using a 48 inch TV as a monitor.

@Fenix How is your experience using a 48 incher TV as your monitor? I was looking at a Hisense TV with 120hz actual to make it my primary display. Max I have used is 32 1440p. How far do you sit?

Thanks @n1r0 . You make a compelling argument. At work, I have used all, a dual 27", dual 4k, single 4k and a widescreen and among all, I found the widescreens the most comfortable. :)

@Futureized, my job involves reading code and having our application running (and variety of other references) in multiple windows. TBH, I wasn't even interested in widescreens until they were introduced at work. After using all combinations of monitors at home and at work, I found widescreens to be the most fit. So my decision to upgrade to a widescreen is solely based in improving quality of life (and work) at home.

I have two 24inch flat panel monitors at home and they can barely fit two split windows. Then again, the content gets squeezed to the extent of being unusable. Adding 3 inches to that isn't going to be much of an improvement.

I used to, and I still do. But the number of hours spent gaming has dwindled to few hours a month. So it is almost negligible.

Not really, just work. I have other screens at home to fulfill other roles :)

Back