Help in deciding a project for final year..

Bangalore University said:
Students should individually develop a project. They should implement their project in cell in any KDBMS package or any language available in the college. The students have to collect data outside practical books.Project may be taken outside but must be implemented in college.Internal marks can be awarded by the guide by evaluating the performance of student's during the course of project work.

The project carries 240 marks and is awarded as follows :
1.Demonstration & presentation 200 marks
2.Viva-Voice 40 marks
as this is potentially ~40% of my sems marks...this is really imporatant to me...but i just cant decide what to do & which base to use...i'm a novice in VB 6.0 , C & C++ & pretty good in cobol.
My sixth sem marks (total) ~700 where this constitutes the vital 240 marks...the previous projects i've handled has given me full 95% percent marks....altough the marks were only 80 & 80(80=max) (for 2 small projects that were dont in VB,ORACEL 9i,& c++(game))

Most of my classmates are getting the project dont in other institutes etc..by paying them extra...like joining the institutes for the sole purpose of getting the project done by them,,,,:no:
Whats the use ...? It wont help them in gathering any resource....

Am not able to catch any of my seniors..:(... so guys help me in selecting a project and a good base..i have a thing for programming...& im sure i can pick up the amateur skills required for this project by going through the E-books or other resources...

from what ive understood from BU....(from 5 yrs ) is that the code is not give that much importance....the interface & explanation is given all respect..:eek:hyeah: :)

awaiting replies..:)
This thing is confusing..:(

Maybe u should try a Java APP for mobiles. Or if u r good in C++ then try to code an app for Symbain. U get C++ Kits for Symbian OS and u get pretty good Documentation also.

Just a suggestion coz doing a mobile app is not that difficult, plus it is related to what skills u have and also that it looks good. And u can make 50% of ur demonstration on how the framework ( symbain ) is etc etc, and then 50% on ur project.

IMHO learning something new and implementing it is the essence of why we are supposed to do projects in our engg. Also talk to ur guide. If ur guide is doing some kind of research of his own , then helping him in that will definitively help u in terms of guidance and marks ;)

And dont worry too much, coz anyways most get > 70% of the project marks, but the good ones get upto 95% to 99% marks. :)

Josh, that was a good one.
Currently lotsa projects are being handled in india on Mobile UI.

to add to his list,
NewLC Forum - Index

newlc answers almost 90% of ur questions. Do go thru FAQs before posting, cos most of your queries might be already solved.

:hap2: good luck

Last year for my Final year project... I had made a Java VM for a robot (called it "JPathFinder") using the Hitachi H8 microcontroller. The design of the VM was based on the sourceforge project leJOS.

It used C for the VM code while the programs for the robot were in Java. JPathFinder could follow lines, read barcodes, identify colors and measure distances. The main advantage in using Java progs was extensibility or such programs/AI would have taken a few 1000 LOC in C...but each capability of our robot took some 150-200 LOC in Java. Also we built a web servlet for remote loading of progs into the JPathFinder...

All in all its a lot of hardwork and we were just 2 ppl who did all this... None of our professors or Univ faculty figured the magnitude of our proj. But, we got 194/200 -> highest in the University (MU). It wasnt satisfying enuf coz other students with half the effort scored 185+/200. Thats when I realized that I shouldnt be creating the best thing, but the most useful thing.

Im also guiding 4 different projects this year in Mumbai... so if u are interested in the project I made (JPathFinder), then Im here to help!!

^thanks a lot for your suggestion & idea...but i think i forgot to mention that the project is INDIVIDUAL . . . & the people @ the bangalore university are no different..all they care is if the project works & the language,base used & some stuff...for gods sake none of the externals till date have taken more than 20 mins to examine & give marks to a project carried out by us......:(

thanks again..

i will look around what my classmates are doing for their projects & will post here.... most are using J2EE as the base for the projects..that i'm sure of..

since u r planning an individual project... I think J2ME should be the best.. Simple, fast and useful stuff can be made. Try netBeans with mobility pack and u'll realize what I mean by rapid development.

Im guiding a project this year which is a (the guys calling it GHOOM) "travel route search engine" for Mumbai. It considers all bus routes, trains, walking etc and guides a traveller from source to destination. Without the need of GPRS/net...it has a stored database. It will be showing small vector maps to make intuitive for the user along with 3 choices based on price of travel, time of travel and changeovers! Im sure ppl in bangalore would like to have such an app on their mobiles??

I have a host of other stuff that Im guiding students...tell me ur strengths and scoring abilities and I may surely have smething for u in my mind!!

sunbiz.. I had seen ur JPathFinder and it was unbelievable... couldnt imagine some1 from college could make those stuff... Amazing work dude...

@saiyan: you could also make a VB project for Computer Shop management where u manage all the inventory and AMCs and send the maintainance guy on an autogenerated schedule... Could be simple for 1-man project!!

I have some projects in mind but nothing java - mostly involves protocol and one involves some imaging/video stuff. Ping me if interested.

Back