PC Peripherals Help less ram detected in bios

njankit

Disciple
When i installed 2GB ram it was fully detected.
But when i installed another stick of 2GB my bios detects only 3456MB of 4GB.
How do i gain the rest of my memory?

This is normal for Windows XP 32 Bit/ Vista 32 Bit. This is a limitation of the OS. If you want to use the full 4 Gb, you need to change your OS to 64 Bit Win XP or Vista 64 Bit .

njankit , just check in BIOS that it is detecting full 4 GB RAM, if it is, then u don't have to worry.

In Windows, it will show u that much RAM only, as it is a limitation of the 32 bit OS.

@axeman I m aware of the 32bit architecture limits but does it imply to BIOS too.
I guess no matter what OS i have my BIOS shud recognise full 4GB.
BTW will just installing 64bit OS make my system 64bit?

@ameet148 What is a Ram Disc. How do i make one?

Yes, ur BIOS should show 4 GB, no matter which OS u have. Strange, y is not showing 4 GB. Have u tried resetting the BIOS to default settings?

And yes, installing 64 bit OS will make ur system 64 bit (as ur processor is already a 64 bit).

In bios System information reveals i have 4096MB installed but says 640MB appropriated.and 3456MB as available.

What is this appropriation? Is it normal?

dude, u havent left a word about ur mobo.. I think ur mobo IGPU is consuming the 640mb memory. state ur mobo. let me see i can get u sort out this issue...

njankit said:
@axeman I m aware of the 32bit architecture limits but does it imply to BIOS too.

I guess no matter what OS i have my BIOS shud recognise full 4GB.

BTW will just installing 64bit OS make my system 64bit?

Your processor must support 64 bit to be able to even install 64 bit OS.

Use a tool like everest or CPU Z to see the details of your RAM sticks as seen by the Mobo. I am 100% sure u will see 4Gb total there. It would be next to impossible to make a 1.5 Gb RAM stick just to cause you trouble.

man , i learnt that u have p5-GC MX mobo and xfx 8400gs. I think ur mobo IGPU is consuming 128MB memory ( if u havent disabled it) and ur gfx card is consuming 512mb memory if m not wrong. (512+128=640mb). Appropriation means the memory is allocated to some device like ur graphics card or ur IGPU, since u have a graphics card with shared memory (8400gs = s stands for shared). u must have an option in ur mobo bios to control how much memory u want to allocate for ur graphics card. check it and see.

hope this helps...........

have u checked ur bios for gfx allocations as i said ??. just tell me if ur issue is sorted out....

My gfx card has 512MB onboard.
In the bios there is DVMT where i've set 64MB but i guess this is related to intel gma950 apart from that i cant find any option related to sharing my system memory.with gfx card

axeman said:
This is normal for Windows XP 32 Bit/ Vista 32 Bit. This is a limitation of the OS. If you want to use the full 4 Gb, you need to change your OS to 64 Bit Win XP or Vista 64 Bit .

XP has physical address extension and can address little more than 4GB in 32 bit OS. for 4GB you can still stay in 32 bit ..

hey man, did u try updating ur bios. u use 2x 2gb ram , right ? u said that when installed an additional 2gb , this issue arises. Now try the 2nd 2gb alone ?. check it.. dvmt is dynamic video memory technology. I think it has nothing to do with ur issue..
if ur bios is up to date, try removing ur gfx card and see how much ram bios shows with ur onboard VGA. check it and tell me mate...

all guys FYI , XP has a limitation of 3GB memory. But the OS has nothing to do with the bios. BIOS SHOULD report the full memory.

all these limitations are immaterial for the BIOS.

axeman, u r wrong. I am using 2x2gb ram and i am able to utilise the full 4GB in my OS which is Vista 32bit SP1.

Its not necessary to have x64 OS to utilise full 4gb, even 32bit vista can do it....

Yes i've d latest bios.

I've checked both the modules individually, they report their full capacity.

I will be able to chk without gfx card by morning only coz i need to fetch the vga cable.

Some googling revealed that 945 chipset lacks a feature called memory remapping.
Now with limited memory that can be addressed the more u add devices with their own memory the lesser is the available system memory.

Hope this information helps someone with similar scenario.

Back