Help me build myself a HTPC

SumitB

Adept
Recently, the folks at XBMC released their much anticipated XBMC 10.0 “Dharma†and boy, it has me floored. I now need to get myself a HTPC and hook it to my other 50" plasma (Panasonic V20). As is advised, I am putting my requirements thorough the template.

Questions

1. Q: What is your budget?
1. Lowest possible budget. Just need the components to last me for atleast 2 years. One and only purpose is to run XBMC over Windows 7 x64

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
1. GPU - MSI 4670 1GB DDR3 - I need the V20 to be connected using the HDMI interface. So if the onboard graphics is powerful enough to support 1080P encoded mkv files, I can skip the GPU. I will prefer DXVA support though.
2. RAM - 2 x 2GB Corsair DDRIII
3. SMPS - Corsair VX450
4. Cooler Master 590 Cabinet
5. Remote & IR Receiver from the Hauppauge PVR150

3. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU
2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
3. HDD - All media will be stored on the NAS so the drive need not be huge, per say. Maybe 500GB or even 320GB will do.
4. Cheap KBD

4. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
2. CM590 will be upgraded to a decent HTPC cabinet

5. Q: Where will you buy this hardware?
1. Open to online purchase

6. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
1. No

7. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. HTPC

8. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
1. I would prefer an Intel proccy and any compatible motherboard which can be modded for SLIC

10. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. Full HD Resolution for my V20
11. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
1. No

12. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows 7 64 bit

Friends, please suggest what I should get to get this to work. Also, I need to keep the noise levels to a minimum. Please suggest accordingly.

Re: Help me build myself a Ech Tee Pee Cee

AthlonII X2 250 ~ 2.75k
Asus M4A78LT-M LE ~ 2.75k
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 ~ 1.8k
Logitech MMKB+ Mouse ~ 0.7k

Thank you for the responses.

@DarkAngel: The thing is that in NE-India, AMD support is crap. For one, the dealers in Shillong don't sell AMD. You can get the dealers in Guwahati to get AMD on order but they refuse to provide after sales support for AMD and if you want to RMA the product, you're pretty much on your own. Can you suggest an Intel configuration for me?

Also, I need this system to be as low on the noise levels as possible. Passive cooling if possible. Also, the motherboard should be BIOS moddable for SLIC. :p

You can also go for an Intel core i3 + Cheap mobo or else Intel Pentium Dual Core + Cheap mobo.

As for slic moddable you have check forums my digital life for more help. They are the experts in that section.

Guys, help me out here.

I have finalized on the following:

1. AMD AthlonII X2 250 Processor

2. Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H Mainboard

The other components are already with me. However, as I have mentioned in the opening post, no one stocks AMD in North East. The dealers are refusing to get it also for me. Where else can i make the purchase online? I mean does anyone know of any online retailer who has both these in stock so that I can get the same from them?

I don't mind getting the GA-880GM-UD2H mainboard also as I don't see the need of USB3 on this build.

Thanks in advance for helping me out. :)

Well guys, I got in touch with Rahul of ITWares and he informs me that the GA-880GMA-UD2H is not available and only the GA-880GM-UD2H will be available. So now my question. Is the USB3 the only difference between the two mainboards? I don't really care about the USB3 but I was wondering that for the same budget, is it possible for me to get a better mainboard or should I go in for the GA-880-GM?

Thanks for looking again. :)

Along with USB 3 880GMA also supports Sata 6 which i feel is a big difference. I am myself searching for 880GMA to build a rig for myself.

Dushie, have you managed to find the 880GMA with any retailer? If the GMA is not found, what do you plan to get?

Also, today DarkAngel suggested that I get the X3 440 if I plan on using this system for atleast a couple of years. The main usage of this system will be as a HTPC. Currently, I am testing the HTPC on a E4500 Processor and a basic P5GC-MX mainboard with the HD4670. Things are working well per say. However, today, I installed the much talked about Aeon skin for XBMC and I am experiencing jerks with the skin. I am assuming that this is due to the processor not being able to handle the load. How does the X2 250 or the X3 440 compare to the E4500? I am more or less inclined on using the onboard GPU of the motherboard I get. Also, I am indeed planning on keeping the new setup for a few years. Anyone has any experience with the Aeon skin for XBMC? For reference, I am listing the other components here:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 or AMD Athlon II X3 440

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1600 (I have these lying unused with me)

500GB Seagate SATA

Corsair VX450 SMPS (I have this lying unused)

For the time being I am going to use a spare Cooler Master CM590 Cabinet. However, I will eventually get a decent HTPC Chassis.

Also, I will eventually get the Asus Xonar DX2 audio card in a few weeks, when budget permits.

Help will be appreciated. I am planning on getting the components (Processor and Mainboard) tomorrow.

SumitB said:
Well guys, I got in touch with Rahul of ITWares and he informs me that the GA-880GMA-UD2H is not available and only the GA-880GM-UD2H will be available. So now my question. Is the USB3 the only difference between the two mainboards? I don't really care about the USB3 but I was wondering that for the same budget, is it possible for me to get a better mainboard or should I go in for the GA-880-GM?

I can also confirm that Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H is not available here in Pune. However, Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H is available in abundance! Former one has USB3 & SATA3 while the latter one has USB2 & SATA2. These are the only two differences I noticed. Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H costs 4,150 INR here in Pune.

Alright guys, an update. The GA-880GMA-UD2H is not available with any retailer in Mumbai or Delhi. As such, I have decided to get the GA-880GM-UD2H from ITWares. With the money saved (Rs. 700/-), I have decided to upgrade the processor from the Athlon X2 250 and get the X3 440 as per the suggestion of DarkAngel. As per him, since I plan on keeping this system for a couple of years, it would be better to go in for the upgrade. The money has been transferred to ITWares and I should have these in hand by the next week. Will keep you all updated.

The final configuration is:

Athlon X3 440

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz

Corsair VX450

Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA HDD

Cooler Master CM590 Chassis

Next planned upgrade will be to get the Logitech diNovo Mini Keyboard.

Next will be to get the Asus Xonar DX2 audio card.

Finally, I will get a decent HTPC Case.

The processor + motherboard cost me 7500/- plus 350/- for shipping to Shillong. The other components are already with me.

I am also looking to buy a new PC.

Even in NP Delhi, Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H and Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H are not available. Now I am looking for another options in the budget of 4K.

I also tried 785G mobos but not avlb in NP. Only MSi 785 P-45 mobo is avlb in NP. Pls give your comments on this mobo.

An update. I got the ordered components from ITWares yesterday.

Assembled the rig and modified the BIOS to incorporate the SLIC. Installed Windows 7 x64 and it activated in a jiffy.

Installed XBMC and ran into issues of stutters and pauses while playing 1080p content on XBMC. Had enabled DXVA in XBMC and still the same results. It turned out that I needed to set the IGP mode to UMA in the BIOS. Will try it out tonight and report back. Other than this, the build is really solid and I hope that it serves me well for the next couple of years. I don't plan to overclock or unlock the fourth core.

Next planned upgrade is the Logitech diNovo Mini and a decent and cheap HTPC case.

Watch this space for more. :)

I did everything I could think of and was advised. Works with MPHC. Turns out that I am unlucky as even the logs of XBMC was not able to show a problem. Seill the AMD/Gigabyte combo. Getting an intel build.

If it works fine with MPC-HC then there is problem with the XBMC hardware acceleration settings and not your pc, i would think..

You could give MediaPortal a shot, just to check, before selling off in a hurry...

Back