Laptops Help me CHOOSE a good laptop!

Zayni

Disciple
Hi All!!

Im not thinking about buying a computer before july..but, when i first had in mind to buy one, i chose laptop! But when i discussed it with my uncle who is an computer engineer, he said that its not recommendable to buy a laptop, because its really slow...but i know it does have advantages which desktop computers dont have!!! And also, the shops selling laptops in Mauritius are third parties, which my uncle describes as the last place to go and buy laptops!!! :( :(

But i saw an HP the other day, with 1.66GHz processor, 80GB memory, WiFi and 2 USB ports, screen 15"..quite interesting, but seriously what do you recommend?! :)

and tell us your budget too. These days Laptops are pretty fast, you don't need to worry about it much.

You can go for the Dell if you don't want to buy from the shops.

Zayni said:
Hi All!!

laptop, because its really slow...but i know it does have advantages which desktop computers dont have!!!

besides protablility & less space consumption, name me 5 ADVANTAGES that laptops have over desktops. If u wanna carry ur PC with u, then only a laptop is recommended. Otherwise in plain words, Laptop SuXX!! compared to high-end desktops. Be a little subjective when ur seeking help rather than making funny comments

^^^

1: Very Good Screens at very Good resolutions.

2: Fast enough to compete with Good Desktops

3: Portability is the MAJOR Point.

4: Very comfortable to carry and work. ( read no seperate Mouse and Keyboard, bend down to insert DVD/CD)

5: Awesome battery backup

High End Laptops dont exactly SuXX when compared with High End Desktops. High end is subjective to price and components.

Otherwise in plain words, Laptops RoXX.

Audience for Laptops and Desktops are different. Besides who wants to sit in the same room and the same chair to go online. Gaming is totally different ball game. So keep that aside.

If you dont Game, do 3D stuff etc, or in other words your needs dont justify a desktop; You should consider a Laptop. Period.

@Zayni , as Saiyan said you can check out Dell if they ship to your place.

O/T : Dont keep your laptop on your lap while working. According to TOI ( some days back, Pune Edition) it causes serious issues which may have major implications on your prospects of having an offspring. Medpal may professional comments on this.

OK,thanks for all that!!
I wasnt making funny comments, mehargags!! i dont find anything funny about what i said!!!! READ properly instead of making silly comments!!!

Well, in August im entering University, and that was why i was thinking of buying one, cos ill probably need one to do presentation and still,many have one and why not me?!(to be honest) and yeah, i think ill need portability, but then i do have a 256MB and a 2GB pen drives..
The thing is my only problem is speed, i get :mad: when my computer slows down, now imagine laptops!?!
Now coming to the price, in Mauritius you get Laptops prices ranging from rs25000 to rs50000...so make that rs12500 to rs25000 for India!!! My budget, well my parents are buying it for me :) :) they told me to choose, but my uncle suggested that he can get me a desktop computer with a flat screen...

Josh, if i listen to your suggestions, then which laptop fits those options you mentioned?!

Well if you are looking for something in the range of Rs. 25k then I guess the only laptop around that price is the Compaq 3155AU which stands at around 31k. There are other laptops from brands like Acer and Lenovo available in that range if i'm not mistaken, but HP usually gives you more bang / buck while looking pretty as well.

Seriously what is all this talk about no performance? Firstly it all depends on what you are doing with your machine. Most people who engage the thought of buying laptops arent looking to do high end gaming. 9 out of 10 times, people who get laptops use them primarily for work which could include the internet and the MS Office Package for which even the most underpowered laptop will suffice.

Zayni, you don't strike me as a hardcore gamer and assuming that you don't really need "the hardcore desktop computing power". All you need to concern yourself with is how long the Battery lasts.

The AMD's have shitty battery life with most mid range machines lasting in the range of 1:40 mins to 2:00 hrs. The plus side is they perform decently and are dead cheap.

If you get the Intel offerings like the C2D's you could get as much as 4 hrs depending on how many cells the batteries have. Downside is they are significantly priced as compared to the AMD processors but they outweigh them in terms of Performance, battery usage and heat dissipation.

There are 3 things all the expert here need to know from you before they can give you their best

1) Your Budget
2) What the machine is going to be used for (list everything you might use it for)
3) How long you intend to use the machine before your next upgrade

Once everybody is clear on that these guys will narrow it down to the T for you.

OK, you got it right, im not gamer!!!

1.My budget is between rs15k to rs40k(indian money)

2.The machine will be used for myself, my own personal use, including internet, Microsoft..i dont work, i intend to use it to do my projects, if needed!!

3. I intend to use the machine for as long as i can, bearing in mind to keep it in a very good condition always!!!!

dell 6400 i guess would b better.....39k....but if thinking to buy frm 25 to 35k range go 4 compaq,hp.....they have good warranty support...acer have good warranties only outside india...no idea abt mauritus...

Girl, u dont need too much computing power to browse net and edit documents...if ur comp is sluggish then it has to be some virus thats caused the stall...

yep....dell 640 or dell 6400 suit ur need perfectly....just choose 1 over the other....the protablity of a small screen (14.1) to the usefullness of a big screen (15.4") b/w the 2 dell models

OK thanks all!!!i checking it out, will let you know! :D :D

Vij, i dont think you understood what i meant!! anyway...thanks!!! :D :D

And what you guys suggest for laptops above rs40k?!

My advice is: go for a laptop which has decent processor (no need to go for top of the line or the latest one), and sufficient RAM (1 GB atleast).

Acer n Compaqs are most cost effective in this regard.

The bogging down/sluggish feel you are talking about, comes usually becuase of less RAM that ppl put-in.
Usually the manufacturers put the latest Processor (because they earn them maximum profits), and sub-standard RAM (speed and capacity wise).

Never would you be using the maximum capcaity of your Processor (I am sure you are not going to do video editing, hardcore gaming, or some flight simulation activity).

However, you WILL use your comp for opening many applications simultanesously. THAT requires RAM.

Just keep that in mind before purcahsing

arre never buy additional ram frm the original dealers....they'll charge u an arm and a leg for even 512 MB RAM stick....better to get 1 urself frm a computer store and tell him to put it in ur notebook...

wld advice atleast 1 GB of RAM and a dual core proccy (for being future safe)

well since the needs are very basic, you have to stick to the basics :p which is

Dual core processor

1gig of RAM

Enough storage (upto u)

Connectivity

Portability (read weight)

I think these are the factors you should be looking at....look at all the options you have ...weigh them on the above basis and decide on which one :) tadah!

Back