PC Peripherals Help me chose HTPC components

Bandu

Disciple
Hello all,

Shifting to India (Mumbai) this week end. Have been out for 3+ years. So not sure about what's available back there. Hence this thread.

I'm planning to build a AMD (780g) based HTPC. Will later build a Intel based gaming rig. So, thought of going for AMD with this one. And the 780g does have decent reviews online.

My budget: 55K max for the following components:

Cabinet: I already have the cabinet. Aerocool M40.
PSU: Maybe 400W will suffice. Not sure. The requirement is to have a PSU with <= 140 mm depth.
Motherboard: I'm thinking to buy the Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
CPU: Still not sure which one to go for. Please suggest a power efficient dual core AMD.
RAM: Please suggest 2x2GB.
HDD: WD 1TB.
UPS: Will the APC 500VA be enough? Please suggest.
TV Tuner card: Compro VideoMate Gold Plus II. If you have any other better recommendation, please suggest.
Optical drive: ?
5.1 speakers: ?
80mm fans: Please suggest silent exhaust fans. Need 2.
Keyboard: Please suggest a small wireless KB/Mouse or KB with trackpad solution.

Not planning to buy any graphics card. IMO, the onboard 780g should suffice for a 42" TV. will think of buying one If it does not.

I'd prefer to buy all new parts, locally in Mumbai.

The only use for this will be as a HTPC and maybe some work (internet browsing, p2p, etc.).

TIA.
Bandu.

Excellent choice for the cabinet mate. Looks like a sound system. Optical - A Rom would be preferable. Writable drives begin to wear out after the first year.

^^Thanks for the tip, broadway. Yes, I like the cabby. Guess it's not available in India yet.

Do you have any recommendation for the ROM drive?

I don't think they sell a dvd-rom drive anymore. I have read hear somewhere that LG blue ray drives(Rom) are available for around 5k. Hit this guy a with a PM for any price related queries. He's a dealer from lamington road, mumbai and a member here.

Power efficient Athlon II X2 is the 240e, although I’d suggest going for a quad core.

APC 500VA is sufficient to switch off the system as soon as the power goes off but if you want backup, then go for a minimum of 650VA. Preferably a 800VA or a 1KVA.

PSU – get a minimum of Corsair VX450, you won’t regret it.

Try getting the 785G. It is the best IGP board in the market. 780G is also a good board with good reviews but is a little old.

As for the TV Tuner card. How much does the one you’ve mentioned cost? I’d any day go for a card that gives good features and more importantly works with Windows natively. Such a card is Hauppauge WinTV PVR150MCE. Although there are better cards out there, nothing matches this one’s price tag. This is not available in retail but only OEM and costs just under 2k.

Thanks, otpsurvive for your suggestions. I'll definitely consider all these. I'm not sure how I came to know about that TV Tuner card, but I'll definitely consider your suggestion about the Hauppauge card.

Thanks, broadway for the member link. Yes, I have talked to Rahul from ItWares a couple of times, and will most probably deal with him.

Back