Graphic Cards Help me convince Big Byte (Vikas) that my 9800Pro is *really* messed up..

TechHead

ex-Mod
ALright, hereth continue the Club3D 9800Pro saga. Bought it in May '04 from Big Byte. RMA'd one in April this year (3 year warranty). Got a brand new piece in July (!!). Was surviving on a GF3 till then..
Anyway, this new one seems messed up as well. Any game (NFSUG2, Republic Commando, AOE3 demo) plays fine for 10 mins or so, and then the system just shuts down. I tested my RAM with memtest96 for 4 hours or so.. no errors. Tried upping VAGP, downgrading to 4X AGP. Nothing helped.

I've decided to return this too, but those idiots will NOT believe me.. how should I convince them? And how can I get a new card quickish?

The system shutting down could also be due to bad/failing ventilation on the CPU due to a failing fan.....Or you SMPS being screwed......

Try monitoring the CPU temps, and also try a substiture power supply before pinpointing the GFX card as the culprit

Hmm.
I suggest you take the card to his place and explain him the problem.Request him to test it at his place with his setup.
If the problem arises at his place, he has to accept that there is some problem with the card.
Beat them at their own game.
Thats the best way to convince them.
I did the same thing when my P5GD1 board's 1 RAM slot went kaput.
Tested infront of them,so i was there, they were there, so they couldnt help but accept the problem.

Just my opinion though.

exactly.

Also if system is shutting down then there is high possibility that problem could be overheating or PSU limitations.

What PSU you have? if you can test the card in some other system, preferably in the BBC shop itself as Darky told.

superczar said:
The system shutting down could also be due to bad/failing ventilation on the CPU due to a failing fan.....Or you SMPS being screwed......

Try monitoring the CPU temps, and also try a substiture power supply before pinpointing the GFX card as the culprit

CPU fan is fine. Got it checked yesterday, PSU is a 400W VIP - 24 pin version.

CPU temps are fine.. about 45-47C, which is WITHOUT AS5. And the kicker - both these games work fine for extended periods with my GF3..

I think Darky's suggestion workable..

Also, the system also shuts down when running Photoshop CS and DivXtoDVD. Isn't that an indicator of the GFX card as well?

Back