PC Peripherals Help me cool my comp

KingKrool

Skilled
I had to shift my comp down, frm the top of the desk, cos of space constraints.
I was playing NFSUG2, and the comp restarted, after it came up, I rebooted again and went to the bios to check the temps - a whopping 69 C!!!! The thing had never gone above 50 b4 (AMD clawhammer)
Clearly it is an airflow problem - rear and right side are pretty restricted. Is there anything I can do to improve the cooling short of moving the comp back up (one reason I don't want to move it up, is because it has some vibration problems when up there, and the sides rattle and make WAY too much noise).

Well bro in a congested place how do you expect good airflow.

Did you try moving the cabby up and checking that its only the place thats causing
the temprature to rise.

Well do you have front intake fan for better cooling.

Also do you have a 80mm or 120mm fans.

120mm fans will help you cool better at low noise , also look for for High CFM & low dB Fans

if you are keeping it inside your table , you could ask a carpenter to drill some holes in the side for ventillation . move the comp in front so that theres some gap behind the pc as well .

a pic would help ;)

I hope u have an intake and an exhaust. Also make sure that IDE cables are not blocking the airflow near the cpu. Another thing you might wanna do is to apply a bit of AS5 on the cpu. Will drop temps by atleast 5 degrees in most cases.

i used to have this problem with my athlon Xp 2400+ going to 70C at full load..!!!!!
i did these things to keep my case cooooler..

if you got wires and cables hanging lose then tie em up together to make more space for the airflow.. ide cables are flat so they restrict airflow . but you can always fold em and tie em so make em smaller in size. they won`t be any problems..
install a fan in the rear end of the case..and a fan in front of the case which would greatly help in cooling your system..
all this helped me coool my system by a good 20c!! temps at ful load were always around 50C after all this..
aditionally you can cut out your sid panel and install a couple of fans there tooo... if possible..

chic_magnet posted 1.8 minutes later:

btw from where do i get AS5?? and exactly what is it?

@KingKrool - You can also design a duct at the back of your system, as there has to be atleast a few centimetres of clearance at the back. The duct will help you get the hot air away from your system easily.

Additionally, a front intake fan would help draw cool air. If you can, try having an intake drilled into your side panel.

BTW, what kind of vibrations and stuff ?

@chic_magnet - AS5 is a thermal compound which is applied between the processor and the heatsink to improve heat conduction. This way, the heatsink is able to take away a lot of the heat dissipated by the processor, at a faster rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
so to apply As5 i would need to remove the thermal pad right (got the whole procedure from articsilver.com).. hmm whats the life expectany of the pad???

Hmm, well there is say 10 cm from wall space at the back. None on the right, and making a hole there wud do no good (cos next to the desk is the bed. None on top either (that iBox grabbit is rather tall)
Vibrations - well the side panels used to rattle a lot. If u pressed em they wud shut up/ I tried taking them off and screwing them on again, but the results were anomalous. Once I moved it down, the problem stopped. I think it is something to do with the harmonic frequencies of table top, and bottom.
I have 80 mm fans I think, just the CPU fan and one other (system fan). I think the chipset has some sort of cooler too. I never really poked aroiund all that much, cos as I said, it was running max of 50 on full load b4, and after I installed CnQ updates, the thing never went above 33-35 on regular load.
The thing has the original clawhammer CPU cooler, which I have heard is an excellent cooler (copper or something, the later ones -a64 stock coolers- are not as good I hear). Still have to figure soomething out. I guess I will open up the cabinet and see if I can manage something.

10cm is decent enough if you can fashion a duct. The duct would send the hot air out in a particular direction rather than just spraying it out the back. Try using those low noise Thermaltake fans. They provide good airflow, and almost no noise at all.

As far as the vibrations are concerned, they could b fixed with rubber dampers, but that also depends on which part of the panel is vibrating. I fixed this problem in my old cabby by inserting thin strips of rubber, between the side panel and the cabinet frame.

Back