Car & Bike Help me decide on a car.

Hello everyone...I need to buy a car, but not sure if I should opt for a used car for time being and get another new car after the business is set?
The budget will be about 6L.
Requirement:
-Diesel car, as it would be doing about 90kms on daily basis. 70km of it being on highway.
-I am over 6ft, so the legroom is very important for the driver seat.
-Low maintenance.
-Should have decent features to make the ride comfortable and relaxing.

Help me decide if I should buy a new hatchback or a used sedan or SUZ?

I would suggest to go for a new ride instead of an old one..In your budget you can look for i20 Diesel..It is loaded with features, is descent in interiior space and looks good too.. Above all the performance of its diesel motor is far ahead of its rivals.

How well will a hatchback serve me for a 90km ride, daily?

I have been reading that i20 is a little underpowered and is no fun on a highway. Polo 1.6 is said to be pretty good for its power and stability, but then its on the expensive side and is a petrol version.

Another reason I was thinking of a used car is to avoid the run-in time and be able to use it to its full power.

harish_21_10 said:
I have been reading that i20 is a little underpowered and is no fun on a highway.

Those comments should be about the i20 1.2 petrol which definitely is under powered. The diesel is a different story altogether, far more powerful, and definitely makes the car feel different.

U haven't mentioned the size of ur family i.e. the number of seats you would need + boot space when fully loaded.

I would suggest the Ritz VDi over the Swift mainly coz the current Swift is gonna be replaced with a new Swift in April 2011. The Ritz being the younger of the two, it would be some time before the changes come over.

I also second the i20 Diesel as it is a great car as well. Underpowered.....??? Hell NO..... that is a myth.....!!!

If u are keen on the VW Polo, u can get the Polo Trendline Diesel..... it should fit ur budget very well.

If u need bootspace, u can look for the Indigo CS LX Dicor.

All in all, avoid a used car unless absolutely necessary. 6L is sufficient budget to opt for a new car I guess.

Update: The budget might be just 5L now.

anish_sha said:
go for swift...good pickup , nice styling.. gr8 VFM but interior is not so good, but u can customize it urself...
Was looking at that too but my concern is about Swift being a old car now and just too many out there. But then I have got not many options either.
agantuk said:
Those comments should be about the i20 1.2 petrol which definitely is under powered. The diesel is a different story altogether, far more powerful, and definitely makes the car feel different.
Could be. A test drive will give me a better view.
nehaladsul said:
U haven't mentioned the size of ur family i.e. the number of seats you would need + boot space when fully loaded.
Family size is just 3. Boot space of any car should do. We need a car to get started with the factory work for now, will anyways be getting a new car after 5-6months.
nehaladsul said:
I would suggest the Ritz VDi over the Swift mainly coz the current Swift is gonna be replaced with a new Swift in April 2011. The Ritz being the younger of the two, it would be some time before the changes come over.
Thats a good point, but then I dont really like the shape of Ritz.
EDIT: Just checked out the pictures of Ritz and the interiors look much better than that of Swift.

Now that the budget is lingering at 5L, I dont think I am left with many diesel car options. The very basic models will be a disappointment in the features department. How much will a diesel Swift, Ritz, Punto cost me? On-road price that is.

i20 and Polo seem to be out of the budget now:(

if you just want a good economical solution at 6L then Swift Dzire VDi or Punto 1.3MJD are your best best.

Fiat has not so great service reputation..also maruti has like some 2600 service centers all over india lol.

so if you can look past the looks of DZire then it is the most economical solution at its price range atm.

Polo Diesel is not at all VFM feature-wise.

Basic model will cost you 6L ..that is the Trendline model.

economically better or on par with Swift Dzire

on the other hand Polo Petrol 1.2 will give you mileage comparable to that of Swift Dzire Diesel.. 2kmpl less at worse.

the thing starts at ~5L for basic model and can go upto 6L if you want to spend alot to improve its looks internally as well as externally..

Polo 1.2P Trendline - ~5L

Original VW Alloy Wheels - ~25k (6k each)

Body Coloured Mirros and Door handles - ~4k

Seat Covers - 7k for VW one's ... 25-27k for Stanley Leather Seat covers

Music System - 12-14k with 4 speakers

other standard accessories - 10k

What you lose.

~20% economy compared to Dzire VDi. 70km Highway and 20km city shall give you good figures anyways.

ABS

Rear Power Windows

Maruti's Cheaper Spares

Wide Maruti Service Network

What you Gain:

Stunning looks

Lower Annual Maintenance (Service at 15000km or Once in year..whichever that is early) 90km x 365day = goes above 30000km which mean 2services.. each costs 5-6k

Much better Build Quality.. (visit showroom and try pressing the door metal and compare that to i20 and Dzire. :p)

Great road grip and ride quality even at higher speeds.

Swift Dzire is out of the question. I am just not satisfied with the way it looks. Main problem with Swift, not Swift Dzire, is its interiors. Polo would have been my choice too but then the price tag and the expected higher spare part cost makes me think twice.

As mentioned in earlier post, the budget has dropped to 5L. Might try and push the budget to 6L but not sure yet. i20 does come with lot of features but most of the video reviews on Youtube are not very encouraging. i20 is on the expensive side too.

Punto looks alright, but as you mentioned the serviceability is a negative.

For now Swift seems to be fitting the bill, but its just too old now :( Will see if Dad agrees for 6L.

Needed more views about VW. It being a premium brand does worry me about the expenditures I might have to make in the future.

Since you will be travelling more on Highways you can go for swift. The diesel gives amazing mileage. On highways it is known to give close slightly over 20km/litre.

Another VFM car is Indica Vista QJD. Lots of space inside. Power is on par with swift(basically they have the same engine). But the build quality is not great, but far better than the previous gen indica. After a year or so you will get some issues( pwer windows doesn't work, ac doesn't work properly. These issues come up repeatedly even after service). I own one and this is from my personal experience. Cant comment the build quality of swift. Check with someone who owns it.

Other options you can check out are the Fiat Punto and Ford Figo. They certainly should have better build quality than Tata and Maruthi.

Polo is expensive for the features it offers and not sure about the cost of maintenance and spares

A new Swift/Ritz Ldi would cost you ~ 4.90L Ex-Showroom. Quoting On-Road prices is difficult u see....... :ashamed:

A used Swift/Ritz Diesel in good condition (2009 Model) with low mileage should cost you around 3.5 to 4 Lakhs.

I suggested the Ritz over the Swift for the only reason I already mentioned. If u buy a new Swift now, be prepared to own an 'Outdated' model in a span of ~ 6 months.

Fiat Service is handled by Tata & though they are supposedly better than what Fiat was, I still don't trust the Fiat brand on the After Sale Service front.

Ford Figo Duratorq Lxi - ~ 4.5L Ex-Showroom

Exi - ~ 4.7L Ex-Showroom

Zxi - ~ 5L Ex-Showroom

Ford service & spares are on the expensive side..... Do keep that in mind.

Have u considered the Indica Vista Diesel?? It is the Cheapest option in Diesel Hatchbacks.....

IMHO i would say STAY AWAY from chevys and fords or regret it. I have owned both and everyone that i know have had horrible experiences with these two brands...Cars are unreliable, spare will cost a bomb, you wont find a mechanic who can fix your ride in middle of road (he will say you will have to tow your vehicle to service center, we cant fix it), after market spares are rarely available, you will have to go to the company and wait for at least 1-2 months for them to arrive, low used car value etc etc. the list is endless...

i20 would be the best bet if you can buy it.
What most people are saying is that buy maruti because of the service. In that sense one should never buy any other car but marutis. But that is now how the world works. Marutis start falling apart fast. The bolts come loose the cabin noise starts and there is squeaking all over.
I have owned a fiesta and have no issues with it as such. Have driven the figo and like it. It's selling well and ford has been doing alot to get the cost of spare parts down for figo. So I'd say with your budget you should get it.
These are the only options you have as polo is out of budget and one should never buy a tata because it always reminds one of a taxi.

^^ Well, service is not the only criterion for buying a car. But besides great service, Marutis do enjoy great resale value as well. :)

If u buy a Figo and a Swift on the same day, one year down the lane, the depreciation on the Figo is much higher than that on the Swift.

Also, the i20 is a great car but as the budget has been reduced to 5L, it is almost out of the question.

Maruti is not the only option but at this point, it seems the most feasible option.

From my personal experience, I would suggest everyone to buy a Honda...... But like u said, that is not how the world works...... ;)

That is true. Marutis do command a good resale value.

Honda, Toyota and VW are in a league of their own though.

Next in line are Maruti, Hyundai and Ford after which is the rest, Tata being the worst.

@ mjumrani: Lolzzz :p I hope Ratan Tata doesn't read ur posts..... Else, he'll appoint u as his successor............!!!

:D

Thanks for your inputs people. I had gone to check out the cars in person and shall reply accordingly.

swordfish123 said:
Since you will be travelling more on Highways you can go for swift. The diesel gives amazing mileage. On highways it is known to give close slightly over 20km/litre.
Swift is what I had decided on, but then its not available in the market for now. Waiting period is about 1-2months. The interiors of it keep giving me nightmares though :S

swordfish123 said:
Another VFM car is Indica Vista QJD. Lots of space inside. Power is on par with swift(basically they have the same engine)
Indica is a BIG NO!!!

swordfish123 said:
Other options you can check out are the Fiat Punto and Ford Figo. They certainly should have better build quality than Tata and Maruthi.
Dint visit the Fiat store, mainly coz it being related to Tata now. Might check it out tomorrow though. Lets see how it looks.
nehaladsul said:
A new Swift/Ritz Ldi would cost you ~ 4.90L Ex-Showroom. Quoting On-Road prices is difficult u see....... :ashamed:

A used Swift/Ritz Diesel in good condition (2009 Model) with low mileage should cost you around 3.5 to 4 Lakhs.

I suggested the Ritz over the Swift for the only reason I already mentioned. If u buy a new Swift now, be prepared to own an 'Outdated' model in a span of ~ 6 months.

Fiat Service is handled by Tata & though they are supposedly better than what Fiat was, I still don't trust the Fiat brand on the After Sale Service front.
The Swift VDI w/ABS, the higher diesel version, is costing 6.5L on-road. But then has waiting period, Dad was telling me about some place that might get the car at the earliest, will be going there tomorrow.
I did get to see the Ritz Genus and it looked alright. The interiors were much better than Swift and I was kinda ok to buy it too. It seemed to be spacious too and I sat with comfort on the drivers seat, I am over 6ft remember. The rear design was a big question. The demo car was not present so will be doing the TD later.
Ritz VDI w/ABS is for 6.35L on-road.
But then when Dad remember how Ritz looked he immediately said NO! Good to hear in a way:)

nehaladsul said:
Ford Figo Duratorq Lxi - ~ 4.5L Ex-Showroom
Exi - ~ 4.7L Ex-Showroom
Zxi - ~ 5L Ex-Showroom
Ford service & spares are on the expensive side..... Do keep that in mind.
The price quotes are correct and kinda decent too. But the reliability of Ford is a question for me and now you saying that the spares/service is on the expensive side too. Not sure if Ford is the way to go.
mjumrani said:
i20 would be the best bet if you can buy it.

I have owned a fiesta and have no issues with it as such. Have driven the figo and like it. It's selling well and ford has been doing alot to get the cost of spare parts down for figo. So I'd say with your budget you should get it.
i20 *expensive* *expensive*
It had a feel-good appearance from the inside and the built quality seemed to be much better than the Santros. TD for it will be done tomorrow as well. But again, this one has a waiting period too and did I mention that its expensive? Well, its freaking expensive. So, might be long shot.

i20 ERA Diesel, basic model, costs 6.7L on-road. WTF!!
Will have to see if I change my mind after the test drive.

Ford Figo.
The Titanium, top-end version, is rated at 6.3L. Diesel.
One look at the Figo and it reminds you of the Fusion. I mean it gave mixed feelings and was a take it or leave it kind of a car. I did get top drive this car today, but then not long enough. Couldnt really get the idea about how the suspension was, as I was riding on a highway like road. Could feel the torque kicking in at 2000rpm. Its pretty comfortable as well. Was spacious enough to fit my long legs. Not sure if its just me or the gear shift wasnt that smooth.
I TD drove its high-end version, the Titanium, and found that certain things were missing. How can it be a high-end?
-The rear windows were NOT powered:mad: and they go down only 3/4 of the way. Thats just plain stupidity and a cheap way of cutting cost.
-The steering was NON-ADJUSTABLE. Should have had this feature.
-The lever thats opens the engine hud was on the passenger side and NOT on the driver side:rofl:
-Its told to have seat heigh adjustment for the drivers seat. But...it only tilts forward or back and doesnt lift the seat itself. Like it does on Polo. This was weird.
-The center part of the rear seat had a bulge in the middle and looked as if the person sitting there might not be comfortable. Not sure though.
-Its pretty noisy.

Now some positives.
-Electronically adjustable side rear-view mirrors. Which, also turn in opposite direction to certain extent and hence reduces chances of them getting damaged but some motorist. Nice one.
-The red colored dashboard did add taste to the appearance and felt refreshing. A plus point any day. The quality looked good too.
- I liked the Bluetooth feature that it had and I did test it too, worked the way it was supposed to:hap2:
-Stereo system had bluetooth streaming and AUX in too, nothing new but useful.
-Supposed to have impressive mileage of 15kmpl in city and around 21kmpl on highway. With AC on.

Overall, its a good option for the budget. But then the brand name 'Ford' leaves me thinking:huh:
Another thing, the torque value is 160@2000 and power rated to be 69@4000. This takes me to Swift and Ritz, whose torque is about 190@2000 and power of 75@2000. How much difference will it really make?
nehaladsul said:
^^ Well, service is not the only criterion for buying a car. But besides great service, Marutis do enjoy great resale value as well. :)

If u buy a Figo and a Swift on the same day, one year down the lane, the depreciation on the Figo is much higher than that on the Swift.

Also, the i20 is a great car but as the budget has been reduced to 5L, it is almost out of the question.
Its a good thing to have a better resale value but then I dont wanna take that into consideration. I would rather buy a car that would serve me better.
After checking out the cars I realized that theres no point in buying a basic or even a average version. They just dont come with any safety features at all. I would prefer spending that extra cash for better features. Told the same to Dad and he is willing to spend over 6L as well now:clap:
This still leaves the i20 out:mad:

Nissan Micra.
I dont really wanna waste my time talking about this car. If someone have some questions about it then I will try answering them.

Volkswagen Polo!!!
Well..well..well..what do we have here?!? A german beauty:hap2:
I just fell in love with this car:D The paint job on this car is a good enough reason to buy one. The interiors beat every other car mentioned here. It has the quality thats expected from a premium brand. Also told to have over 20kmpl on highway.
Polo Highline Diesel is costing 8.1L on-road. Its surely outside my budget but I want this car:)
Havent even told about Polo as one of the options to my Dad, coz of the price. Trendline itself costing 6.5L on-road.

Now heres what I would prefer, priority wise:
-Polo:eek:hyeah:
-Figo/Swift
-i20. Lower coz of the pricing.

Things are clearer now but still indecisive.

Back