Help me get a Asus WL-500GP

vinaycm said:
What's the reason behind not being interested in the WL-520GU??

Mainly limitations in running multiple torrents and programs. It has slow processor and lesser RAM & ROM compared to 500GP. It's bit of a weak piece of hardware for a download rig.

IMO if you are looking out for a heavy downloading rig, then better to go for ASUS RT-N16.. It has got a 480MHz Processor, 128MB RAM & 32MB ROM (as compared to 250Mhz, 32MB, 8MB of WL-500GP).. Moreover RT-N16 is 'N' as compared to the WL-500Gp which is just a 'G".. Of course it costs a little bit more, but is a better option considering your requirements..

vinaycm said:
IMO if you are looking out for a heavy downloading rig, then better to go for ASUS RT-N16.. It has got a 480MHz Processor, 128MB RAM & 32MB ROM (as compared to 250Mhz, 32MB, 8MB of WL-500GP).. Moreover RT-N16 is 'N' as compared to the WL-500Gp which is just a 'G".. Of course it costs a little bit more, but is a better option considering your requirements..

Yes, it is a heavy duty model. But has no support for DD-WRT or Tomato. Also users say that the stock firmware is buggy. I am hoping that some forum member can get it from US for me.

Otaku said:
Yes, it is a heavy duty model. But has no support for DD-WRT or Tomato. Also users say that the stock firmware is buggy. I am hoping that some forum member can get it from US for me.

Nope.. It does support DD-WRT (check out DD-WRT router database).. Why dont you try to source it through KMD..

Otaku said:

The RT-N16 definitely supports DD-WRT. I have been using the router for last couple of months with no issues downloading a 7-10 torrents downloading at the same time. Its running samb2, transmission and openvpn among other thing.

The router is available in India.

DD-WRT Link
Asus RT-N16 - DD-WRT Wiki

Otaku said:
Thank. Will look out for this model too. SMC was offering it fro 7900 + Shipping. Anything lower?

It should be much cheaper.. The WL-520GU which costs $45 on newegg costs just 1900rs shipped here.. RT-N16 should be considerably cheaper than the price quote you got..

vinaycm said:
It should be much cheaper.. The WL-520GU which costs $45 on newegg costs just 1900rs shipped here.. RT-N16 should be considerably cheaper than the price quote you got..

Yes, but how to get 500GP or RT-N16 here through Newegg. I do not want Custom hassles.

Back