CPU/Mobo Help me - Need to build a LAN Party Rig

Darklord

Skilled
Hey guys,
I want to build a Rig to take for LAN parties.

Here is a list of hardware i currently have that can be used fr that system

Suggest me what changes i shud make to these to build a decent system,

1] Asus A7V8X-X Board
2] 1800XP Palomino
3] 256 MB D43 hynix
4] 40GB Seagate 5400RPM Drive
5] 80GB Maxtor SATA
6] 15" Samsung 56V
7] MS Internet Keyboard
8] Logitach optical scroll mouse
9] Asus 52X CD-Rom
10] BIG Geforce FX 5200 256 MB 128Bit
11] XFX Geforce 6200TC 256 MB
12] 450 Watt Powersafe PSU
13] VIP 855 modded cabinet

I am not keen on that board+cpu, want something else.

I can invest around 15-20k

My sig has my main System,please consider that system while suggesting. ;)

Please help me out,please.

Darky use your Socket 754 rig, get more RAM atleast 768 mb. And get a better Video card atleast a Radeon 9600 pro.

You might wanna invest in one of those SFF cases..

Well my suggesstion would be to get an AMD 64 based SFF along with a Good proccy... I beleive you would be flaying FPS games during lans... Would not hurt to get a 6600GT too but then it goes out of your budget...

But if you are not too keen on a SFF then get yourself a Neat Small Light Cabby and Tad faster CPU along with a Good HSF... Helps a lot...

@ Edit Aces you jst beat me to it :p

A Rig - means one rig ur own thats it

Keep This
- AMD Athlon64 3200+[Winchester] or get a better CPU if u want
- DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
- 1GB OCZ Gold VX PC3200
- XFX Geforce 6800GT
- 80GB Maxtor SATA - is gr8
- Sound Card not mucha issue as many prefer using HeadPhones at a LAN party
[get ur self gr8 set of headphones]
- LiteOn SOHD 16P9S
- VIP 855 modded cabinet[Show ur Se** DFI to them with a transparent Side Panel]

Softwares
~~~~~~~~~
Load the latest DirectX Drivers , Update Nvida Mobo and GPU drivers , Patches for Games and do carry them with you.

NO need for a LAN Card as DFI already has it.

Hardware Req For LP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will require a 8Port Switch Dlink,NetGear,LinkSys Cost Rs2000 [Get a Switch not Hub][You can share this amount with the players comming for the LAN Party]
If more than 8 Players are comming get a 16Port Switch.

2-3 Meters of Straight Crimped CAT5 Wire[LAN COnnecting Cable] [Each for Each PC]
2 RJ-45 Connectors are required for connecting Your PC to the Switch.

Well not much of money will be spend Max 2.5K

Hey Quad,
I think you are mistaken here.

I have a Main PC.

I need another one specifically meant for LAN Parties.
;)

Also i know what all is needed for LAN parties. :p

Darky i take my second rig to all my lan parties... But i seriously doubt i need that much power while Lan partying(Until and unless everybody else have sme uber rigs on which they can play any game they want)... Also carrying a mid tower case hurts a lot... So my advise is to get a small case with a good HSF combo cause in lanparties the rig heats up a lot... A must carry for a Lan party is a Mouse pad and try to have two Lan ports on the rig... Comes handy all the time...

Well, very hard to see daky asking for a config, lol, anyways, here what i think

1] Asus A7V8X-X Board
2] 1800XP Palomino

These got to go, get atleast a 3000+ and a k8v

3] 256 MB D43 hynix

add one more, that shud be enough i guess..
oh, no dual channel naa, so get a 512 mb stick..

4] 40GB Seagate 5400RPM Drive
5] 80GB Maxtor SATA
6] 15" Samsung 56V
7] MS Internet Keyboard

all these are good, 15" is also very decent, coz not much hassle moving it around ;)
8] Logitach optical scroll mouse

well, try and get MS wheel mouse optical, decent bang for bux, since ur looking for gaming, this mouse is quite good, using it personally

9] Asus 52X CD-Rom

good enough..

10] BIG Geforce FX 5200 256 MB 128Bit
11] XFX Geforce 6200TC 256 MB

sell both and get a 9600 pro atleast, or maybe u can get a gr8 deal on a 6600 gt ;)

12] 450 Watt Powersafe PSU
13] VIP 855 modded cabinet

Roxxros

make sure that cabinet is extremly moded, jazzy, so that other ppl around get distracted by the sesky appeal of the cabinet :eek:hyeah:

LOL darky...
You asking us? Hehe, thats odd ;)

Anyway yep get A64 3000+ and RS480 mobo, i think that will fit in your 15K budget. Else you can look for some cheap second hand stuff here or at ebay. A cheap P4 northwood will also do for lanparty and northwood will overclock easy without need of heavy HSF.
The one which i have is P4 2.6C and does 3.25Ghz on stock HSF with temps below 55C.
And i tell ya its not bad machine to have as a LAN rig. I was gona sell this CPU+mobo but couldnt find any buyers so i turned it into my LAN rig.
:)

Get a shuttle if u can afford it ;). Or else, get the smallest nicely ventilated box with a mATX board. A winnie 3000+ with an MSI radeon xpress board and a 6600 vanilla would fit in nicely in that budget and would be more than sufficient for lan gaming. Invest in an lcd as crts are a pain to carry around.

Back