Storage Solutions Help me pick a NAS!

Anish

Skilled
Hey guys,

I planning to get rid of my HTPC cause I find it sucking up too much power and it does nothing but act as a file server an bit torrent server for the most part of the year.

Looking to replace it with a NAS (Preferably RAID 1 capable) which can also run a bit torrent client (Preferably utorrent).

Also would be great if this could stream media to my LCD via HDMI. If this won't work.. Is there any way I can setup my PS3 to access the data stored on the NAS and play it?

Thanks!

Anish

Anish said:
Also would be great if this could stream media to my LCD via HDMI. If this won't work.. Is there any way I can setup my PS3 to access the data stored on the NAS and play it?

No clue on the NAS part but the media can be streamed from the NAS via a router to a dedicated media player or the PS3 and the PS3 can use the PMS (PS3 Media Server not to be confused with anything else! :p) application to bit-stream the content and display it.

For PMS refer this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/gaming-consoles/the-ps3-media-server-thread-158752.html

Alternately, if your LCD has DLNA capabilities + an ethernet port + the ability to playback the formats (most present gen. Samsung displays do for instance), then you can connect the LCD to the router via the ethernet port and the TV can access the media stored on your NAS.

Gannu said:
No clue on the NAS part but the media can be streamed from the NAS via a router to a dedicated media player or the PS3 and the PS3 can use the PMS (PS3 Media Server not to be confused with anything else! :p) application to bit-stream the content and display it.

For PMS refer this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/gaming-consoles/the-ps3-media-server-thread-158752.html

Alternately, if your LCD has DLNA capabilities + an ethernet port + the ability to playback the formats (most present gen. Samsung displays do for instance), then you can connect the LCD to the router via the ethernet port and the TV can access the media stored on your NAS.

Haha I like the PMS abbreviation :p

LCD doesn't have DLNA.. But streaming via the PS3 sounds like a better option since it's already hooked up to the LCD and AVR..

Just came across this.. Sounds like a good option! - Playon!HD | Full HD Network Mediaplayer by A.C.Ryan

^Yeah it sure is. There are a gazillion media players out there in the market which has the ethernet port and can stream content from a PC or a NAS. The chipset inside makes a difference when it comes to the playback of content with higher bit-rates. POHD shouldn't have issues there. :)

POHD's Indian site - http://playonindia.com/

All it takes is to configure the respective IP addresses between the respective devices and you are set.

vivek.krishnan said:
Any basic Atom/Sempron/Athlon machine with FreeNAS 7 should do the trick.

I'm already running a Athlon X2 with twin 1TB drives in RAID 1 but I find it to be an overkill for my usage. Hence trying to replace it with a NAS ;)

@ Gannu - Thanks for the Play On India link.. I think I'm gonna settle on one of those.

Those stock BitTorrent clients are worse i would recommend looking at Tonido Plug you can enable RAID with Debian Flashed on it.

Take a look at Tonido Plug App you would be amazed.

dinjo said:
Those stock BitTorrent clients are worse i would recommend looking at Tonido Plug you can enable RAID with Debian Flashed on it.

Take a look at Tonido Plug App you would be amazed.

Well the Buffalo runs a full featured version of uTorrent so it should be okay I guess.. Will check Tonido out, thanks! :)

Thanks guys.. Decided to pick this.

LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WVL/R1 Network Storage | Buffalo Technology

It runs uTorrent so that's very convenient and will hook up to the PS3 to stream media.

Also has a very very nifty iOS app so I can literally run it from my iPhone/iPad.

Which one and from where? Any idea how much?

How reliable are Buffalo in NAS field, I have short listed Synology DS211+ for the very same purpose except Torrent. Dont use it.
Plant to stream vob but have no idea how am going to do that.
Installed WHS, but read abt its reliablity and gave up before venturing much.
How much is it costing. Synology works out for 32k diskless 2yrs Indian warranty.

Anish said:
Well the Buffalo runs a full featured version of uTorrent so it should be okay I guess.. Will check Tonido out, thanks! :)

utorrent and Linux do not go hand in hand so you would not get max speed on utorrent compared to transmission and deluge

Back