Linux Help me stay on with Arch

Hey, this is the second time I am trying my hand with Arch, the first time I had to abandon it as I couldn't fix some weird hijacking problem I faced every time I tried visiting FB.

This time I have installed it on my laptop along with KDE, I am not getting the maximize, minimize and close window buttons! This is driving me up the wall. How do I fix it?
Also, the touchpad is super sensitive, tried tinkering around in the system settings mouse area, but to no effect. Even the tap for clicking is not working.

Attachments

• snapshot1.jpg
    snapshot1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 147
Is there a particular reason for choosing Arch? If not, then simply switch to some "readymade" KDE distro like OpenSUSE or my personal favourite, Kubuntu :D

Otherwise, your only hope is Gaurish/archish here who can help... I've abandoned Arch for the time being...

Then why not go for one of those easier alternatives... unless you really want to go through the pain of fixing Arch problems for learning experience? :)

yes learning experience is something I am looking forward to. I am open to other distributions as well as long as they are in the same plane as arch/slack

It looks like the KDE window manager hasn't loaded properly. What method are you using to start KDE? Also, do you use a graphical login manager?

ujjwal said:
It looks like the KDE window manager hasn't loaded properly. What method are you using to start KDE? Also, do you use a graphical login manager?

startx and then startkde,
I tried xinit and then startkde, this time I got the maximize, minimize and close window buttons, but the issue this time is there is a console open all the time, I close it and the x server shuts down.

I am not using kdm for login, default init level is 3

If learning is your aim try out gentoo, this will teach you the most. Much more than arch can. But if you dont have time go for Kubuntu/ Ubuntu. Simple and easy and almost everything will work out of the box.

What are the contents of your ~/.xinitrc file? Check this wiki entry for details:

KDE - ArchWiki

My guess is that the console on startup is being caused because startkde is started within the terminal. Use "exec startkde" to fix that.

Any reason for NOT using KDM?

Ho0ligaN said:
This time I have installed it on my laptop along with KDE, I am not getting the maximize, minimize and close window buttons! This is driving me up the wall. How do I fix it?
seems like bug in Kwin. If you have desktop Effected enabled, please disable it and try again. try launching it manually from command line.

Ps: did you switch netbook acclivity to desktop mode? because there is bug which stops Kwin from loading --> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=231762

of nothing works, try reinstalling kde packages
Code:
pacman -S kdebase
and also delete your kde related settings(Remember, take backup first)
Code:
rm ~/.kde4
Also, the touchpad is super sensitive, tried tinkering around in the system settings mouse area, but to no effect. Even the tap for clicking is not working.
Please see Touchpad_Synaptics on how to configure touchpad.

no the missing min/max buttons are because OP is not starting it the "right" way. i too saw that when i started X manually then ran startkde from inside the xterm (as posted above)... if OP just reads the Arch wiki properly and follows the steps to setup the xinitrc (exec startkde) and set inittab runlevels he will get it working in no time...

Back