Help me to choose a Wi-Fi Router which is ideal replacement of Asus RT-N16

dissel

Skilled
Hello Experts,

As the thread title suggest my Home Router Asus RT-N16 which is now reach at EOL, It remain Power ON almost 24/7 since 2011 - Please help me to choose a Wi-Fi router in the same category. RT-N16 coverage is very good which able to cover the Ground Floor (where it sits) as well as First Floor of our house and some part of the terrace.

At any given time the router got 6-7 clients connected via wirelessly - Other than regular PC - Laptop - Tablets - Mobile Phones, I got 3 Chrome Cast Audio streamer which is connected to the router Time To Time covering the entire house for the music needs - All are handle easily handled.

Also I like to mention ASUS's interface is great to use....if there is anything good from ASUS then it will be great.

Please help me decide router which can have

1. Gigabit Ethernet Port -
2. Wide Area Coverage like RT-N16 - It got 3 external Antennas - Important
3. USB Download feature - I don't know if I need as I tried in RT-N16 but speed is very slow with BSNL BB.
4. 5 Ghz AC feature - Again I don't know
5. Budget is 5k - I don't mind to pay upto 6-7k (Max)

Please help - Looking forward your reply.

Tp link Archer c7, you can also flash Open-wrt/Gargoyle if you need more functionality.
http://www.amazon.in/Tp-Link-Archer-C7-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00CEB53MS

Aha....Spec Looks quite impressive...This one equivalent to ASUS RT-AC66U which is the actual upgrade from RT-N16.

Looks like proper replacement - But is that TP Link product really Good comparing ASUS Router ?

Three 5 dbi external antenna and three internal.... Nice

but still people saying, (9 Critical review and all are Verified Purchase)

http://www.amazon.in/product-review...By=helpful&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

+1. I use an Asus RT-N18U N600 router at home. The wi-fi signal is good though I have not tried it across floors. The Asus router management interface is good.

My reference for comparison is a a TP-Link TD-W8961N N300 modem router that my wife uses in her clinic. The wi-fi signal is good but the modem management interface is rather simple looking when compared to Asus.

I got the RT-N18U for Rs 6,550/- from Flipkart some time ago. Looks like the price has increased.

Thanks for all suggestion - Now I'm more confused - Yes I admit Asus Router works great for me, But TP Link Archer C7 Looks most VFM right now.

So far I gather on spec RT-N18U provide 600 mbps in N mode @ 2.4 Ghz where Archer C7 Provide 450 mbps in N mode as well as extra 1300 mbps @ 5Ghz AC.

Price difference is very nominal.

Confused...

If you are buying a router today, then it doesn't make sense buying an N router. In the AC world, the best router is Netgear R7000/ Asus AC RT-68 in the AC1900 category. The C7 is one of the best in the AC1750 category. Head over to Smallnetbuilder website and forums for proper router ranking and reviews.

+1 for the Asus RT-N18U router. I upgraded to this one about a month back and completely satisfied with it. Dual band (5Ghz) is overhyped. Range is less at that frequency. Asus's USB 3 port for media server functions, its AiCloud app for wireless devices, ability to download torrents with pc off and feature packed router interface is totally worth the price.

Thanks for all suggestion - Now I'm more confused - Yes I admit Asus Router works great for me, But TP Link Archer C7 Looks most VFM right now.

So far I gather on spec RT-N18U provide 600 mbps in N mode @ 2.4 Ghz where Archer C7 Provide 450 mbps in N mode as well as extra 1300 mbps @ 5Ghz AC.

Price difference is very nominal.

Confused...
So what did you get in the end and how is the performance?

So what did you get in the end and how is the performance?

Not Able To decide till now, Still Stuck.....Mind want C7 but Brain resists at point out Asus.

Wish if N18U goes below 6k then it is easier to decide.

During Diwali Deal C7 goes to 6515/- where N18U - no change at 6.5k.

Last edited:
Back