Help me to run/view/edit asp.net website

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I need to mod a project to create something of my own. So this project will just be a base for my own.

The project is a website consisting of .aspx extension pages.

The project says---

Front end : ASP.NET 3.5

Back end : SQL Server 2005

I'm using winxpsp3 but not able to view the website. I installed IIS but even thats not working & giving out error.

My question is--

• what should i do to viw thise aspx pages in my browser?
  • How to edit them like we edit html pages in dreamweaver?
  • Do i need to install ASP.NET & SQL Server?
  • Will then i be able to open the pages or edit them?

Or do i specifically need to install some server OS-2k3/2k8 to do all this?

Please guys help me out as i'm noob at programming.:ashamed:

if you try to execute "inetmgr" in the run box, do you see any iis admin window opening?

Easiest way to do it to install VSTS 2005 + SQL Server 2005 and create a new project and include all the aspx files + web config etc to the project and click on design mode to see and edit the design, you can even navigate to HTML preview/view/code etc.This will minimise the time and effort. Let me know if you need any more info :)

thank you guys for your suggessions. Will try in a day or two and will let you know the results. :)

@urssriks & seshu: this sounds simple. I need to obtain .net and sql first and then will go your ways. :)

Easiest method of all time :p

Also...a single answer to all your questions above. :cool2:

Install Visual Studio 2008 (Either Express Edition(free)/Professional Edition(paid...but free for dreamspark members) .

It will automatically install SQL Server 2005 Express edition.

After installation..its just a 1 min task to load any existing project and start working on it,

Open Microsoft Visual Studio 2008...

Go to File-->Open--> Website.

Then search for your website folder which includes all the .aspx files and database.

Then click OK.

It will load the website. Just hit "F5" key to compile and run the project.

If u wanted to edit any aspx file in project...go to "Solution Explorer" in the right corner and double click the desired .aspx file to open it.

Here u go..!!!

P.S. dont forget to install SP1 update of Visual Studio 2008. It will give u .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 support also. Its necessary if your project is on .NET 3.5.

I installed vs8 + iis + sql 2k8

but i guess the site itself has got some issues, so when i try to login, it throws some sql error.

it work fine with vs when we try to debug it "f5"

I got similar site with ms access db which is freely editable and runs great with just IIS. :)

If somebody can help and devote his time, i can send him the project personally to try at his end. Just pm me your email add.

It is givin u an SQL error cause the database does not exsist in your comp... U will have to use SQL server to create a database abnd then u will have to acc chenge the parameters for the DA that is accessing the database afterwhich only it will work...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Its actually been some time since i have worked with SQL/DOTNET... so will install it over the weekend and see if i can recollect anything.... If i do will inform u and try and help

@ronit..i can help but only after 3rd June coz i'm having my end term exams and they will be over on 3rd June.

If its an interesting project and you can wait for 3rd June, then i can surely help you out. :)

upload it to any free file sharing site(with no waiting/download limit) and pm me the link.(do this only if u can wait till 3rd June).

but i guess the site itself has got some issues, so when i try to login, it throws some sql error.

may be due to database connectivity. You said that its working with MS access db, so you have change the connection string according to the SQL Server and also ..change the path of database file in "web.config" file.

Ya harpreet thnx man, i 'm in no hurry as the project can be submitted by mid june.

And yes theres something wrong with the "web.config" file. I tried correcting it with all possible ways but on the website, while logging on via any user incl admin throws the the red sql text errors.

Will post the sshots by tomorrow.

I'm expert at html/dhtml but noob at .Net & sql. Still trying to correct the faults by best possible ways.

@lida: if u wish so i can send you the project by tomorrow. You can take your time to understand & correct it & besides, we both are from same cities so you can show me live what changes you made and we need to make further.

Any other guys who wish to participate then please let me know.

You guys will ultimately land up get a place in my project reports acknowledgment section.:p

I'm also looking out for another projects but similar ones like hotel booking, train reservation system, shop onlines etc. having either MSaccess db or sql db but project should be in aspx. having base--[Front end : ASP.NET & Back end : SQL Server 5]

If anybody had made such project before & if willing to share with me then it will be really very appreciable.

sure...ready to help u.

btw i had made similar projects in .NET and SQL Server as backend. I can show you those projects how they work via Teamviewer.

Also, i wanted to know what coding language is used because i'm only familiar with C# in .NET.

So, if it turns out to be some other language, then it might get troublesome for me.

Back