HELP:: Need to take legal action against people who kill stray dogs

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
I live in a colony with a very moderate population of stray dogs who in my 5 years of residence in this colony have never created issues or harmed anyone unless provoked. There are however a group of people crushing the new born puppies under their cars deliberately to kill them, harassing people who take care of these dogs and feed them, the colony vet has also routinely faced society action in the form of insults in society meetings. The dogs have been poisoned and killed or simply killed by the house keeping dept under the orders of the society chairmen and his band of thugs.
As far as I know the IPC (Indian Penal Code) has the following provisions to protect the rights of stray dogs:-

1. There is no law that prohibits feeding of street animals, and that citizens who choose to do so are in fact performing a duty cast upon them by the Constitution of India.
  2. Persons who are trying to interfere with their effort, or display aggression, can be held liable for having committed the offence described in the Indian Penal Code and criminal intimidation.
  3. Moreover, that as per Indian law, street dogs cannot be beaten or driven away. They can merely be sterilized in the manner envisaged in the Animal Birth Control (Dogs) Rules, 2001 (Rules under Indian Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960), vaccinated, and then returned back to their original locations.
  4. Additionally, Section 428 of the Indian Penal Code also provides for imprisonment and fine in cases involving animal cruelty.
  5. Every citizen of India is thus hereby advised to abide by the law, and refrain from uncivilized, criminal actions such as seeking to intimidate those who choose to deal with street animals compassionately.

However for law to take its course of action, do we need to provide any sort of proof prior (both in material or in electronic form)to pressing charges/ legal action against such criminals who murder innocent creatures?
Please suggest the process in which I can take legal action and if anyone has done something of a similar nature in the TE forum kindly enlighten me on the process undertaken by you.
Thanks in advance.

Warrantless Killing of animals is very much illegal and these people should be prosecuted under some Animal cruelty act.

I will suggest contacting some NGO and which works for Stray animals eg Maneka Gandhi foundation.

You can approach a veterinarian, he will give you the contact details of the NGOs or Civil bodies you need to approach.

Eye Witness account.
Names and exact identification of the persons involved.

Precise Dates,times and location about the acts which were committed in the past. Eg. Reg Number of Car used.

Dead remains of the animals that they killed, if you can trace where they ended up.

Basically you need names, intent, opportunity, eyewitness account of the crime and out come.

The criminals will try to deny that It ever happened then they will deny doing it and claim someone else did it. You need the strongest evidence to link the correct people to the actions they did. Claim only what you can prove.

not against your thread or motive, i usually come home late night on bike from work, i get chased by them quite often, got bitten twice, the last one was 6 weeks back.

BTW .... I have 2 stray cats in my house though, got bitten once :)

Animals fear humans and humans fear animals - try not to show your fear or be overly aggressive that will cause them to pay you attention. Some people do have a way with stray dogs. You usually need to let them trust you. They are by far the most intelligent and loyal of any animals. I would prefer a common mongrel over any other dog.

Personally, I think people feeding stray dogs should also be held accountable for the dogs and their actions. Some people just put the left over food on the street for the dogs to feed and they think they are doing a great thing. But often a lot of stray dogs start accumulating and hanging around such places and often the size of the packs result in their wild instincts coming out. Dogs in packs become like wolves and start becoming bold enough to attack children and often adults as well. I have seen this happen quite a few times. In fact at my present location also, the people in my adjacent house used to put the left overs for dogs to feed on. Even though they were told to stop, they didn't listen and soon there a 20~25 pack of stray dogs formed in the street and they slowly started to become aggressive towards people. After few incidents happened, the dogs had to be forcefully dispersed and driven away. The people who were feeding the dogs objected to the dogs being driven away, but they didn't want to take any responsibility when the dogs attacked somebody. If some one wants to feed and care for a stray animal, they should not be doing it in such an irresponsible manner. They should be taking the animal into their house and take full responsibility for its well being.

Absolutely. agree to what lord Nem said.But not in favor of killing. They can be routed out into nearby jungles away from city.I have seen these dogs behave in a manner ,as if they own a locality and start chasing humans when someone try to enter after 10 PM.

Personally, I think people feeding stray dogs should also be held accountable for the dogs and their actions. ...

Similar situation which i am facing everyday.
Immediate neighbour's penchant to feed a mongrel pup has led to 7 dogs in the compound who try to act macho with every car and newcomer. Seen elderly man with a stick scared to death while they bullied him. Ditto with cyclists.

Basically the neighbours wanted a live stuffed toy to play with for 5 mins a day and result is that i cant speak on the phone, or watch movies when they start their cacophony of a chorus. Worse is that the neighbour's house is on the opposite side to where the dogs keep barking, so they never bother. Another neighbour pasted a notice and it was torn away by them. Been months now that i been thinking if i had a shotgun.

@OP/Others..
Now that the discussion is on, pls suggest ways to get these dogs a proper place/house. Cuz kalmadi drove them to ncr during the games and after the games got over, he forgot to call his cousins back (pardon me french.)

Let us stick to the topic in the thread and I need more guidelines/inputs if you know how to deal with the said situation or if you've dealt with the said situation.

Btw - the right amount of attention and compassion even from a distance would ensure the dogs in your area behave themselves. If they step out of line discipline them to teach them a lesson. Compare the situation to that of your own child - if he turns out to be a hoodlum or a miscreant or as usual go around breaking windows with cricket balls or harass people - it is because you have not given them time or attention when it mattered neither have you corrected or disciplined them when it was required. This doesn't mean you baby sit the whole lot of dogs the whole day - leave them to their own devices but when you spend time with them make sure you make it a point to weed out the bad habits. I have also seen this myself - when you deal with a few dogs in the above mentioned manner it has an effect of the rest of the dogs.
Stray dogs are better than any other animal or dog and for that matter most humans - its just that they can't speak but they value your emotions and efforts way more than any spitz or labrador.

OP, which city/town do you live in? I might be able to help put you in touch with a lot of animal rights advocates.

Also, if only the municipal corporations did their jobs and properly carry out ABC operations we wouldn't have this problem in the first place. For those not in the now ABC stands for Animal Birth Control, where the corporation is supposed to catch stray animals and sterlise them. If they can't reproduce then the problem disappears in a generation or two.

Damn, don't know many people in Ahmedabad. Although you could contact Harmesh Bhatt a man who runs an animal shelter in Ahmedabad. Don't know him personally but I've heard good things about him. Have PMed you his number

Compare the situation to that of your own child
Stray dogs are better than any other animal or dog and for that matter most humans -

No thank you.
A dog has its own place, and human its own. Stray dogs should be either taken in by the concerned residents or be put in dogpounds where again they should be available for adoption. No need to get overtly emotional. I am not a dog hater but i dont encourage excessive humane viewpoint either.

Just like animal are scared by humans, and vice versa.. Not all stray dogs are better than all the people.
There have been instances where stray dogs have eaten infants/young kids. There have also been instances where dogs have protected their owners. Its not a zero sum game but to make blatant statements will go against your own cause.

its just that they can't speak.

That's a fine emotional line abused time and again right from the time we been watching movies on DD channels. That they cant speak.
They very well can, just that they got their own language and manner of communicating. I again dont go overboard with giving them all the benefits of the doubts just cuz a humane approach seems the right way with an animal.

Stray dogs are not getting the best of the world, but nobody does. At max people should ensure they are treated with a systematic approach. Emotional people will always be there and it should be ensured by dog lovers themselves that they dont start missing out on trees for the woods

I just hope during the discussion, the members suggest ways to deal with people who mercilessly crush the animals and side by side somebody recommends NGOs/forcing municipal authorities to pick these irritants away. Just cuz they are animal doesnt means they should be allowed to lurk in the open. An animal's behaviour can take a turn without any notification, esp when they gain in numbers, and its not wise to be waiting for it to happen.

Sorry if it sounds a bit juvenile, but wouldn't it be a good way to keep a tiny camera (or even just your cell phone) handy? Video footage of such actions happening would be rock-solid proof.

Back