Help Needed: buying mobile for bro : Nokia E71vs E72vs8520

spirit

Disciple
Hi Freinds,
need your expertise help again :)
my bro is buying a mobile phone. Narrowed down to Nokia E71,E72 and BB8520.
Usage is mainly texting, mails etc. Needed a qwerty phone.
I have some doubts.

Thought E72 is the advance one and loaded with more features, i have read it's being buggy at many forums(hanging, slow etc). SO After firmware update are these problems solved?

The only negative point with E71 is it's processor speed and 2 mm jack( as he was planning to use his creative earphones).

Moreover he will be taking a gprs connection in case of nokia or a BIS connection( now it's 399 unlimited for prepaid on vodafone ).

But i was not sure of the built quality of BB8520 as compare to these phones and in terms of it's pros ans cons over the other.

So need help both from BB users as well nokia E72 users to pour their comments.
Thanks

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Any Suggestions?

^^ Please read his post carefully..He is looking for a QWERTY phone with the primary usage being texting and mails.

@OP: Haven't used either the E72 or BB, but have been more than satisfied with my 11 months with Nokia E71. I use it extensively for mails & internet browsing and for that, the processor has never been a bottleneck. As for the 2.5 mm jack on the E71, 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm converters are available for as cheap as Rs. 30/- in Nehru Place (at least that is what is costed me back in Dec'09).

If you consider the approx. Rs. 4K differential between the pricing of E71 and E72, my pick would be E71. But as they say, every individual is entitled to his own opinion.

Cheers mate!

A blackberry would be useful only you are interested in using the messenger/email service . Build quality of the curve is quite sturdy , although its much more plasticky compared to E7x , also I personally don't like the Blackberry OS . Between E71 and E72 , its basically upto you . E72 has a beefier processor but there have been reports of the OS being laggy . Both have sucky cameras . It were me , i'd probably get the E71 and save money . A 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter would be easily and cheaply available so that's not much of an issue .

You can also checkout the newly launched Sony Ericsson Aspen (14k , touch + full qwerty , Windows Mobile) or the Samsung Omnia Pro B7330 (12k , full qwerty , Windows Mobile)

Jaxx89 said:
NO NO-KIA

Anything but NO-KIA

Well it depends upon purpose. Like E series of Nokia is actually very good in terms of performance and sale as compare to other mobiles in that section. Criticizing the brand just for the sake of criticizing will not do good for anyone, at least for this thread. SO if you are willing to criticize even then, please do come up with suggestions also or refrain yourself from contributing the threads in a negative way.

Sahibosaurus said:
how about the E5?
Specs wise Nokia E5 is better than E72. But no body knows how bug free this phone is. E72 was very buggy when it launched but now most of those issues are resolved. I would go for E72 for better build quality and better camera, battery.

desiibond said:
Specs wise Nokia E5 is better than E72. But no body knows how bug free this phone is. E72 was very buggy when it launched but now most of those issues are resolved. I would go for E72 for better build quality and better camera, battery.
E5 though has more ram (256 mb,a lot for a symbian with a QVGA display) and e72 has 128mb. Id say that is a HUGE advantage.from my experience with nokias,their lack of ram will frustrate you so much you will kill yourself.

OP can wait for the blackberry curve 9300 which is updated 8520 with 3g connectivity.Although you should keep in mind that BBs require special data plans.

yeah I have the same reasons to go against E5. Build quality of E72 is much better than E5 as well as the battery backup.
desiibond said:

Sahibosaurus said:
E5 though has more ram (256 mb,a lot for a symbian with a QVGA display) and e72 has 128mb. Id say that is a HUGE advantage.from my experience with nokias,their lack of ram will frustrate you so much you will kill yourself.

OP can wait for the blackberry curve 9300 which is updated 8520 with 3g connectivity.Although you should keep in mind that BBs require special data plans.
Thanks. But 9300 is having only 3g extra from 8520 and i am not sure when are airtel, vodafone etc will roll our their 3g plans and at what prices. The only thing that is pressing against 8520 is it's build quality which looks too plasticy and not blackberry type :)

bb rules .. its no 1 os acroos the world .. a bb is a 100 times better .. nokia push email is still in beta mode i think ....but get a bb with a trackpad ..nokia is rubbish now no innovation whatsoever in the past year .. all same phone with some modifications .. like e71 e63 e72 .....only indians have this love affair with nokia .

once u use bb u never usually switch to any other phone ...

if u r on a budget get the bb 8520 .. great value for money .. if u want to spend more then its the new bb 9800 ... 9800 is a brilliant phone .cause the web browser was the only issue in a bb .. the 9800 solves that problem ...

buy the 9800 when pricces dip below 30k .. and the prices should dip in 1-2 weeks for sure .. its already at 31-32 in Mumbai

spirit said:
yeah I have the same reasons to go against E5. Build quality of E72 is much better than E5 as well as the battery backup.

Thanks. But 9300 is having only 3g extra from 8520 and i am not sure when are airtel, vodafone etc will roll our their 3g plans and at what prices. The only thing that is pressing against 8520 is it's build quality which looks too plasticy and not blackberry type :)
9300 is WAYY better looking than 8520.it has chrome and everything.It also has a faster processor and will get upgraded to OS6 which 8520 wont.imo getting 8520 is a waste of money at this moment.

vjabraham said:
Go for BB.9300. That's the latest offering from BB India & like some one mentioned, it will get the OS 6 upgrade. It even looks way better than the plasticky looking 8520!

Is BB 9300 available in India right now? How is it's battery performance as 8520 was weak in battery.

Back