Help needed on IP CCTV installation

arnprasad

Disciple
Hi,

I live in an independent house and wanted to have CCTV installed. Came to know that IP cameras are better although they cost 2-3 times traditional CCTV set. Anyways I bought a Dahua setup after I did some researching on the net.

I got 4 bullet cameras and one dome camera along with 8 channel NVR and PPOE switch and wires, 2 TB WD purple HD which cost me around 32K. I would have thought that installation would be half a days work and I would pay around 1K for 4-5 hours of work. When I asked for quotation for the seller - the cost of installing comes to around 7-10K!!! since he gave me cost per camera and metre of cabling and all that.

So my trusted electrician who is very good in his line of work and knows how to install normal CCTVs said he will do all the hardware installation and only needs help to set this whole thing - mainly the software/application part of it. Hence these are my questions:

(1) Even assuming we fixed something wrongly - what can go wrong in the installation in terms of irreparable damage? I can only thing of screwing up the hard disk if not properly connected. What else do I need to keep in mind?
(2) Assuming installing camera and connecting it to NVR is a fairly straight forward typical CCTV install process, how do I set up the NVR ? is it plug and play? is there a manual or a youtube video or instruction on how to go about it?
(3) What smart things can I expect these things to do apart from recording video to the NVR and watching it live on computers or mobile? can it do smart things like facial recognition, reading number plates.etc?

What I bought is not top of the line product - I got two 4MP cameras and three 2 MP cameras.

I would appreciate any help in this regard. I dont mind paying a professional decent amount for installation. But some charging me 5-10K for half a days job, per me, is just fleecing customers.

Just to confirm, my electrician is pretty smart and has helped me to install lots of sonoffs and tixys and other automation in my house. Just that he hasn't installed IP CCTV setup yet. He can easily watch a youtube video or I can read and we can understand any written instructions as well.

Meanwhile I too will search the net for any help that I can get.

Do you think I should go and scout for a more affordable professional closer home or you think there is nothing we cannot learn from forums and internet and doing it ourselves?

Few things I found as I am typing this - I shall view and learn in detail later:

Last edited:
Are you looking to hardwire all the cameras to the NVR with Cat5/6 cable. IP cameras have the ability to connect wirelessly as well, so do consider that. Maybe the high cost you are being quoted is because of the cat5/6 cabling.

Hi yeah... 350 per camera and 1500 for NVR..so thats 3250. 65 per meter for cabling..so thats another 4K say..

I am going with my electrician as I think for one person to get paid 7K a day seems high. I have seen several videos on youtube and it seems we cant screw up on hardware and setting up might take some time..we will figure it out by trial and error. Below is what I bought. need to check if it supports wifi as I havent seen it mentioned.

cctv.jpg

Yeah. Seems the models you chose have network connectivity through ethernet only. I think yes, you can install the cameras yourself with the help of your electrician. With PoE switches you have to make sure that the power requirements match i.e. the switch is capable of powering all the cameras you are going to install. After that it should be fairly straightforward and there should be a video available for your specific NVR as well.

Yes. Thats why I wanted to know what smart things this can do..will spend sometime on the net today as well plus today i am getting it installed

From the specs of the camera, it supports motion detection, it has smart IR (seems more of a gimmick, buy could be true) and image flip where it turns the image in case of a narrow long view you want to cover.

Back