Budget 31-40k [HELP] Partial Upgrade/AIO Suggestions

MagicianRecon

Disciple
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • Max 40K. Don't want to spend alot if possible.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Ryzen 5 2600X
    • Cooler - Stock
    • Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-E Gaming Wifi
    • GPU - Gigabytye GTX 1660 Super
    • RAM - GSkill Trident Z RGB 16 GB
    • Monitor - LG 27" IPS 1080p, Acer 27" IPS 1440p (Dual Monitor Setup)
    • PSU - Corsair CX550 80+ Bronze
    • Case - Antex NX 800
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-E Gaming Wifi
    • GPU - Gigabytye GTX 1660 Super
    • RAM - GSkill Trident Z RGB 16 GB
    • Monitor - LG 27" IPS 1080p, Acer 27" IPS 1440p (Dual Monitor Setup)
    • PSU - Corsair CX550 80+ Bronze
    • Case - Antex NX 800
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Ryzen 5 3600X or Ryzen 7 3700X
    • Cooler - ??
    • Case - Replacement fans to freshen up things ??
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No, would want to keep the configuration good for another 3-4 years
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Virtualization, mainly ESXi
    • Some Gaming
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Not really sure
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • RPG, JRPG Adventure, FPS - 1080p (Games like DS, Salt & Sanctuary, Blasphemous, Witcher, Nioh etc)
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1440p
    2. Desktop - 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux - Manjaro, Kali, Parrot
My gripe is whether to upgrade the processor or not. I do alot of virtualization work, pentesting, trainings etc. Gaming as well but not too heavy. I am more of a console guy.
Current temps for CPU are around 50 C Idle, pretty sure if should be lower. Not sure whether to go for an AIO or a Air Cooler. I think I understand that AIO's are more for OC buils, correct me if I am wrong.
Lastly, would like some suggestions to replace fans on my case to change things a bit, LOL. Thanks in advance.

If you can wait, I would say wait till year end. 4000 series is around corner - rumored launch in October. It would be better upgrade. Most probably, it would be clear by that time, whether your mobo would get support for it.

I also think that you would need more RAM.

For virtualization, even 64 gigs I have is insufficient at times. That would be the first thing I'd upgrade. Also are you experimenting with PCI Passthrough? In that case, a second GPU will help.

If you can wait, I would say wait till year end. 4000 series is around corner - rumored launch in October. It would be better upgrade. Most probably, it would be clear by that time, whether your mobo would get support for it.

I also think that you would need more RAM.

Sounds right! I would prefer to not having to upgrade every few months.
How about a cooler for now, considering my temps at 50 C even when Idle.

For virtualization, even 64 gigs I have is insufficient at times. That would be the first thing I'd upgrade. Also are you experimenting with PCI Passthrough? In that case, a second GPU will help.

For virtualization, i have felt the sweet spot is around 128 gigs, which I have access through work so no issues. This is more for personal/home stuff so I feel 32 gigs is more than enough.
Not looking at PCI pass at the moment

Back