Monitors Help - PC Configuration under 25k excluding monitor

sagar.sdm

Disciple
1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 25k excluding (a) monitor which I have bought already - P2250 (b) speakers, which I don't intend to buy now.

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration

1. Monitor - Samsung P2250

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping

1. Monitor - Samsung P2250 (Of course :p)

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy

1. CPU, mobo, GPU, RAM, SMPS, cabinet, DVD RW drive, Hdd, UPS, headphones

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future.

1. Yes, will buy good set of speakers later

2. If the present budget is low to include 4GB RAM and 1TB Hdd, might upgrade to them later as well.

3. headphones aren't necessary too if the budget is low.

* I intend to get best CPU, Mobo, GPU, SMPS combo now with no compromises*

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware?

1. Bangalore

2. Open to online purchase, if warranty holds good (local preferably)

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. Yes, if its a good deal.

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware (in decending preference)

1. Watching HD movies

2. Gaming

3. Desktop Processing

4. HTPC

5. Browsing

6. Download rig, 24x7 operation

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. No Preferences as such as long as they are best performers with good VFM.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. Nothing specific, would try hands on many. (racing/first person shooting kind)

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - I'm not sure. The one on which I can run games smoothly on my rig.

2. Desktop - 1920x1080

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. Yes, may be after learning more about it, haven't tried so far though.

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit genuine which I got for free :)

2. Windows 7 32 bit ( should I install this apart from 64 bit ? skeptical here )

3. Linux distros (when needed, of course to learn basics in it to start with)

Ok.. So, please help me to choose the best. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Processor: AMD AthlonII X2 240 - 2.8k

Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E51 -4.6k

RAM: Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333 - 2.2k

HDD: WD 500GB Blue - 2.5k (Go for WD. Seagate has reduced warranty to 3 yrs from 5 years wef 01-jan-2010 for internal drives. WD has 5 yrs warranty and also free pick up from your house for RMA)

Cabby: CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

PSU: Gigabyte superb 460w - 2.2k

Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech Mouse/KB - .7k

ODD: Samsung/LG/Sony SATA DVD R/W- 1.1k

GPU: XFX HD4850 512MB DDR3 - 6.2k/ XFX HD4870512MB DDR5- 7.8k/ Power Color HD5770 1GB DDR5 - 10.2k(depending on how much you can extend your budget).

Total: 24.5/26.1k/28.5k

DDRIII prices are dropping and only 100rs difference between DDRII and DDRIII RAM.

So go for 2GB RAM now and add 2GB later.

^^ Thanks Karthi007. Can I save some money if I opt DDR2 RAM and the mobo which supports it, from which I can get better CPU ? Will that improve performance ?

And can you suggest me a Intel based alternate configuration? Just for the comparison. And yeah, I can increase my budget 5k more if its worthy.

Thanks again :)

Dont go for Intel at this price point. AMD offers more bang for buck. The prices of DDRIII RAM will keep decreasing while DDRII will increase. So DDRIII is better as of now as you have the budget.

If you can increase the budget then go for the AMD PhenomII 550BE - 4.5-4.8k(3.1GHz,6MB Cache->Good for gaming) and the ATI HD5770 as it consumes lesser power and also is a DX11 card.

Be specific about games you play so that ppl here can help you get the GPU that is perfect for your needs.

If you dont need to game immediately i would suggest you to wait till April-May when ATI HD5xxx series GPU prices may dip after the release of NVidia Fermi which is rumoured to be released by march26. They have finally named their cards now. Till then the 785G(HD4200) will suffice your HTPC needs and also play few old games(2007-2008 and before) in low settings

Athlon II X2 250 - 3000

Asus M2N68-AM PLUS - 2300

2GB Transcend DDR2 800mhz - 2000

500GB Seagate ST3500418AS - 2400

LG/Samsung DVDRW - 1100

msi 5770-9.6k

CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

Gigabyte Superb 460W - 2200

Logitech Wired Combo - 600

Total - 24.7k

FOR Intel change the mobo & cpu to

Intel E5400 - 3075

Gigabyte GA G31M-ES2L - 2375.

But i suggest go for amd its value for money.

Here is the config I have finalised.. After looking in to various posts here in TE and reviewing online..

Processor: Athlon II X4 620 - 5.2k

Motherboard: Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H - 5.4k

Monitor: Samsung P2250 ( already bought )

RAM: Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333 - 2.2k

HDD: WD 500GB Blue - 2.5k

Cabby: CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

PSU: Gigabyte superb 460w - 2.2k/ Corsair VX450 - 4.1k

Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech Mouse/KB - .7k

ODD: LG SATA DVD R/W- 1.1k

UPS: ??

Plan to get HD5770 GPU after a month or two.. So, will Gigabyte superb 460w suffice for this GPU ? or should I buy Corsair VX450 ?

any comments on CPU-motherboard combo ? which CPU would perform better among - PhenomII 550 BE / Athlon X4 620 ?

Well, somehow managed to increase budget to get the above rig. Any suggestions for change ? do let me know.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: No comments yet ? :( Some help here guys? planning to buy today.. Karthi007, Sumit05 ? Where art thou ? :huh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 2:

Had been to SP road last evening.. to check the availability/prices of components..

Gigabyte 785GMT UD2H -- got quote of 6.5k :( as against 5.4k as suggested here..

2GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz Ram are at 2.6k :( as against 2.2k as suggested here..

So DDR3 RAM prices haven't come down yet.. I saw a thread in Dealer's Paradise where I can get Corsair DDR3 2GB 1333MHz RAM shipped for 2.8k.. Guess its better to get this rather than getting Kingston @ 2.6k

There were two other motherboards - ASUS M4A785TD- V EVO @ 6.5k and ASRock M3A785GXH/128M @ 5.5k

I went through their review here.. Looking at the benchmarks, it seems these two (ASUS/ASRock) have lead compared to others.

So, is ASUS mobo worthy for 6.5k ? and ASRock one for 5.5 ? Can I consider them as choice too ? Which one should I go for now ? ASUS/ASRock/Gigabyte ? err I'm confused.

Comments/suggestions any ?

mediahome.in sells kingston 2GB DDRIII RAM for 2.2k. PM him.

For the mobo PM SMC Intl or theITwares.

6.5k is way too high. You can get a Asus 785 V EVO fo that price. THis is a ATX board with Crossfire capacity. The Giga is mATX.

If you can find the Giga mobo for 5.7k max then go for thay. If u cant get it for less than 6k the Asus EVO is good for 6.5k~

Karthi007 said:
mediahome.in sells kingston 2GB DDRIII RAM for 2.2k. PM him.

For the mobo PM SMC Intl or theITwares.

6.5k is way too high. You can get a Asus 785 V EVO fo that price. THis is a ATX board with Crossfire capacity. The Giga is mATX.

If you can find the Giga mobo for 5.7k max then go for thay. If u cant get it for less than 6k the Asus EVO is good for 6.5k~

Among the two PCIe x16 slots on Asus 785 V EVO, one offers full 16x bandwidth, while the other slot is limited to 4x bandwidth. Won't this have a negative effect on CrossFire performance compared to two 16x or even two 8x slots ?

The ASRock board offers 3 PCIe x16 slots.. one with full 16x bandwidth, second with 8x and the last with limited 4x bandwidth.. So, this one is better CrossFire performer than the ASUS one if the first two slots are used.. what say ?

Moreover, ASRock comes at least cost among all @ 5.5k !! But, what am I skeptical about is its after sale service and its durability compared to the other two..

However, if I plan to use Crossfire in the future, as you said I would better go with Corsair VX550 right ? which would cost 1.5k more than VX450.. So, I can use the saved money on mobo to get VX550 if I go with ASRock.. what say ?

HD4670*2 / HD5770*1 -- which would perform better ?

^^

For mult-GPU best to have x16 x16, and then x8 x8. With the second accelerator running at x4, you will loose performance, and not get the full multi-GPU boost. For Xfire keep 650W a minimal. That too Corsair. Though 750W is better. :)

Back