OC & Modding Help please!!need to find a motherboard to overclock my core2duo e6600

rdst_1

Skilled
Guys this is my first thread so please forgive me for any mistakes>>>
I read the threads that were similar to my query and they seemed to be quite old although they answered my question.

So i need your help to find a motherboard that will overclock my e6600 to 4ghz.
as i have read nearly everywhere this processor is quite capable of achieving this feat using just air cooling.

i have seen everybody getting excited about the mugen2 cpu cooler.so please tell me will it be sufficient to help me overclock my proccy or should i go for v10 which will definitely get the job done since it is a TEC based cooler.

i currently have core 2duo e6600 2.4ghz@2.7ghz using stock cooler on a MSI p965 neo mobo. i want to buy a new mobo because this mobo is not that good at overclocking though it was second in its price segment in digit's survey of mobos in it's time. i also have kingston 3x1gb ddr2 800mhz ram.

any help is appreciated.....

Firstly, i'd suggest that you not buy a mobo just for the sake of OCing your proccy. 4Ghz the chip can do(varies from chip to chip), but why would you wanna run something like that 24x7?
See how much you can push on current mobo, then invest in some good cooling. Don't bother with V10 etc, its expensive and pointless, an OCZ Vendetta 2 should give you all the cooling performance you need.

If you absolutely must buy, get a Gigabyte G31 series mobo, the S2L or ES2L.
If you ask me though, you're better off putting your money into RAM/new GPU.
Post the rest of your config, along with budget for upgrades, then we can talk...

I doubt you can hit 4ghz on an E6600 for 24 x 7 usage . Heck CoolerMaster v10 cost's more than the procy you are buying it for ..

Get G31 S2L + Core Contact Freezer @ 4.5k for both . You can probably do 3.2 - 3.4 Ghz 24 x 7 with the combo .

A 4GHz OC on a E6600 is quite doable using a good air cooler such as the TRUE (needless to say, good memory modules, a decent motherboard etc. being other mandatory requirements!) but not recommended for a 24x7 setup due to the higher core voltage required. Excessive heat generation being another con.

In addition a TEC based cooler is going to leech power (say close to 200W?). The V10 is no downer here either. That calls for a better PSU.

The assumption that the CM V10 would let you take the E6600 to 4GHz clocks is totally wrong. There're a lot more factors associated to it. ;)

Take your pick.

Amien said:
Firstly, i'd suggest that you not buy a mobo just for the sake of OCing your proccy. 4Ghz the chip can do(varies from chip to chip), but why would you wanna run something like that 24x7?
See how much you can push on current mobo, then invest in some good cooling. Don't bother with V10 etc, its expensive and pointless, an OCZ Vendetta 2 should give you all the cooling performance you need.

If you absolutely must buy, get a Gigabyte G31 series mobo, the S2L or ES2L.
If you ask me though, you're better off putting your money into RAM/new GPU.
Post the rest of your config, along with budget for upgrades, then we can talk...

Thank you for the quick reply!!!!!!!!!!
I agree tht v10 would be a complete waste of money when the job can be done by cheaper means.
secondly i can clock upto 2.82 ghz with ease on stock cooler though temperatures are above 70 on full load in this sweltering heat.

i also understand your concern on why i should buy a new motherboard with the current changes in proccessor technology.however we are still seeing processors being released for the LGA775 socket whereas news of the phasing out of higher end nehalem processors is already out. thus it seems to me that LGA 775 is still going to see advancements although the 32nm chips will be launched by intel in few months.

i spent 70000 bucks when i built this rig but i have realized that it is more beneficial to buy value for money products.

i have my eyes set on this motherboard:DFI P45-T2RS Elite

from the reviews it is perfect for a novice overclocker, has nifty settings that overclock to a stable fsb itself,and is cheaper than most enthu mobos.
it is available on a chinese website for around 5800 bucks and i can get it here through amarbir(lynx) who has an office in china.

once again thanks for your esteemed advice

P.S. i have read other advices that you have given to people in other threads and have seen for myself that you care about the person's problem as it is your own. please keep up the good work

Back