PC Peripherals help Please- Vista will not recognize the SATA Drive

achadha7

Disciple
Hi guys I have been trying to install Vista on my desktop on a SATA drive and the setup refuses to recognize the drive I have a SIS mother board and i have downloaded the drivers as well but to no avail, on POST the BIOS shows the drive as IDE as well, XP recognized the drive, more over Vista recognizes the other IDE drives but not this Drive, Help please. I have tried a clean install ( booting from the CD and no luck, I booted up XP on the IDE Drive and then did an install and selected the SATA Drive, the machine copied stuff over rebooted and Wham will not recognize the SATA drive even with the new drivers on a USB drive :(

The motherboard is an SIS and the new drive is a Segate 360 GB

you need to configure ATA/IDE configuration in BIOS..what is model number of your sis board?

well it should be like..

Onboard IDE Operate Mode:

[Off]

[Enhanced Mode] <--- selected.
Enhanced Mode Support On:

[S-ATA] <--- selected.

[P-ATA]

[S-ATA + P-ATA]

It may differ according to board and BIOS.Check your motherboard manual for configuring IDE/PATA/ATAPI in BIOS

..there is an option while installing Vista,

Before it starts to install to add drives for Sata and Raid,

I think the drive selection screen itself or the one before. Let me see if I can find a screen shot for you.

You have to click on that.

Have a backup of the drivers on a USB or a floppy.

Windows setup will install them first and then continue with the installation.

It is similar to installing XP on a primary SATA drive.

Cheers,

Infected said:
..there is an option while installing Vista,
Before it starts to install to add drives for Sata and Raid,
I think the drive selection screen itself or the one before. Let me see if I can find a screen shot for you.
You have to click on that.
Have a backup of the drivers on a USB or a floppy.
Windows setup will install them first and then continue with the installation.
It is similar to installing XP on a primary SATA drive.
Cheers,

i tried that i got the latest drivers from SIS and it didnt work

^^ Admins please delete the above post.

how_to_vista_11.jpg

how_to_vista_11.jpg

^^ U're not supposed to hot-link images; U're l33ching their bandwidth;

Use imageshack/imgx/supload to post images; :)

"^^ U're not supposed to hot-link images; U're l33ching their bandwidth; Use imageshack/imgx/supload to post images; "

Sorry Nood here, will do next time.

@Infected

it does not show the Drive at all

@cool_boy4ua

I'll try this tonight, in the mean time I installed Vista on the 40 GB Ide drive it installed and then Voila No SATA drive more over it recognized my on board LAN and Audio Card but said error occurred , Return Code 10, Now I have no internet at home :(

More over before installing vista I did the whole Is my computer ready for vista thing and it didnt show any errors

..you can also try disabling the ON-board LAN and Audio and give it a try.

On my machine if I have my Audizy2 plugged in and onboard sound enabled then it doesn't recognise any of my SATA drives as well....(Wierd)

Infected said:
..you can also try disabling the ON-board LAN and Audio and give it a try.
On my machine if I have my Audizy2 plugged in and onboard sound enabled then it doesn't recognise any of my SATA drives as well....(Wierd)

I dont have an external sound card or any other Lan card, it recognizes the LAn & Audio Cards but gives an error "Problem code 10'

..Yes I read you don't.

But it could be somehowthere is some conflict in the bios with even onboard hardware, very unlikely but still. So just disable them and try. Giving you options to try out, and to rule out things.

You can even update the BIOS and give it a shot.

but i feel CoolBoy4U 's suggestion should make it work.

Happy Hunting for the fix...

^^From your bios did you try playing with

# IDE Bus Master

# On-Chip IDE-0 Controller

# On-Chip IDE-1 Controller

I dont think it will be one of the following but worth a try if the above 3 fails.

# IEEE 1394 Controller

# Onboard LAN Controller

# LAN Boot ROM

# Onboard Serial Port 1

# Onboard Serial Port 2

# Onboard Parallel Port

Disable whatever you dont use/need and try.

And then update...This is getting interesting...

achadha7 said:

Are you sure your BIOS appears exactly like above Simulator and there is no option to control Sis OnChip PCI Devices sis or something ???There must be something to control Sis-964 South Bridge in BIOS.Any how this chip support Serial ATA 1.0 Specification with transfer rate 150MB/s SATA not like to days HDD's 300MB/s SATA2.It could be compatibility issue check for jumper inserted in HDD for 150MB/s operation.May be Your motherboard won't accept SATA2 hard drive, it will only accept SATA1 .As the compatibility issue arises, so jumper the drive into SATA1 mode i.e Limit data transfer rate to 1.5Gbits per second(SATA1 mode) by inserting jumper as shown in figure.

cudasatablockwg7.gif

cool_boy4ua said:
Enable Serial ATA controller then change Sis serial ATA mode.
sshot1hg2.jpg

This is set to IDE, :) the other option is Raid , tried both but failed miserably, I collect my old HDD with XP and that recognizes the drive and i can cop stuff to it , I know very very interesting

cool_boy4ua said:
Are you sure your BIOS appears exactly like above Simulator and there is no option to control Sis OnChip PCI Devices sis or something ???There must be something to control Sis-964 South Bridge in BIOS.Any how this chip support Serial ATA 1.0 Specification with transfer rate 150MB/s SATA not like to days HDD's 300MB/s SATA2.It could be compatibility issue check for jumper inserted in HDD for 150MB/s operation.May be Your motherboard won't accept SATA2 hard drive, it will only accept SATA1 .As the compatibility issue arises, so jumper the drive into SATA1 mode i.e Limit data transfer rate to 1.5Gbits per second(SATA1 mode) by inserting jumper as shown in figure.
cudasatablockwg7.gif

Well Almost like that it has the SIS SATA settings and like I said above it is set to IDE and the other option is RAID,
If this was a jumper setting issue I am assuming that XP would not recognize the drive either correct... :)

the weirdest thing is that when I ran the Vista util t check if all my hardware was compatible it said yes and didnt show me any errors or anything of that sort and now it does not recognize the SATA drive the network card it says loaded with code 10- device not functioning correctly, the audio device is not recognized, i've just about had it with vista, :mad: :mad: i'll do a clean install of XP sp 3 or 2 whatever I can find on torrents on the 40 GB IDE and use the 360 Seagate as the data / program drive or should i use the 360 Seagate as the primary for the OS ?

Back