Help regarding hosting and creating static website

AgentBane

Disciple
Hi All,

I need some suggestions w.r.t website and hosting. We have started a small venture purchased .com domain from GoDaddy now want to host static website with 2-3 pages with contact us page nothing fancy which can mostly be done using templates.

Currently I have tried wix.com and I loved their templates, AI to create information on it but regarding GoDaddy there is also website builder there few templates but if anyone is aware of any good sites, please reply will check those as well.

Also, if I start using wix.com for hosting will there be any issue as domain is purchased from GoDaddy?

You can host your static site anywhere on the internet, cloudflare is a good place, also static site hosting is free, so no payments there. You can get simple html, css templates from the internet and get this done. Alternatively you can pay someone to set the whole thing up for you, generally it's between 5k to 10k depending on number of pages.

You can also use Github/Gitlab pages to host your static site for free.
It's a bit complicated, but it's better than most shared hosting plans IMO.
You can use any template you want to create the site.

how about (may not be the best suggestion) get a cheap VPS from linode.com (I have a "nano" one) for around USD 5 per month which includes a IPv4 static IP, you can run straight up ubuntu/debian on it and setup your website as you like, and point a dynamic dns hostname to it, or even your domain if you have one?

For hosting static websites, I've found Cloudflare to be very useful (just at the free tier).

Cloudflare pages is fairly easy to setup with multiple options to get started quickly (you can do a direct upload or connect to a git repo). DNS management is also very good with additional features like email relays (so you can setup something like email@yourdomain.com to forward to one of your existing mailbox), CDN, analytics etc available OOB.

Building static sites is a different beast. To keep it simple might be worth looking into a static site generator like Hugo which can generate a site from markdown content and offers community made themes/plugins etc: https://themes.gohugo.io/. Platforms like Wix etc are easy to get started with but you will be vendor-locked and limited to whatever features the platform supports.

Last edited:
Back