PC Peripherals Help regarding PC Config (3d & video editing)

^^

Looking at those graphs, IF the x-axis shows time, modded gaming card is not good. One thing I have noticed here, of the bat when people ask for 3D rendering pro cards, people recommend:

1. Gaming cards.

2. Modded gaming cards.

3. Useless gaming cards to cut back costs.

It does not work like that. A GD guy needs a specific type of card, and the gaming card will not cut the ice. Even that graph above, shows how clearly useless a modded card is, but still it has been quoted twice to encourage the OP to get a gaming card, mod it and do 3D work on it. And if it does not work -- we continue posting here, as if its our money..right..right.

Also the official drivers that come with 3D PRO cards are important. They have drivers which have been officially and tested as per company standards. The driver pack is certified, and the user can honestly claim, that they are using a set company standards. Artifacting and pixelating should be less of an issue with professional cards as compared to gaming cards. If the OP is ready to spend 10K, why push him on a boat with no paddle. Ya he will float, but will he move..can we sure shot guarantee that. If someone is using a modded gaming accelerator here for professional 3D work, I would really happy to hear his views regarding the same.

asingh said:
^^
Looking at those graphs, IF the x-axis shows time, modded gaming card is not good. One thing I have noticed here, of the bat when people ask for 3D rendering pro cards, people recommend:

1. Gaming cards.
2. Modded gaming cards.
3. Useless gaming cards to cut back costs.

It does not work like that. A GD guy needs a specific type of card.............................

the reason people quote gaming card is very simple, they are value for money, if your budget is 5k or 10k or even more then youll only get a crappy pro card while you can get a good enough gaming card to do the 3d work, specially if your prime application is 3ds max, directx is really really fast in 3ds max. only those people should go with pro card who can afford mid to high range of pro series. and the reason for buying a pro card? 1-youre very rich and money is not a problem, 2- someone else (maybe a client) is buying you a pc, 3- the hourly income your pc generates justifies the pro series, 4- you got shit load of geometry and effects in your scene and you want your viewport to update in real time and your gaming card is not keeping up with the scene.

Yes, of course the gaming cards are value for money. But they will not do true justice to 3D rendering for the OP. The OP hence can choose what he wants to do, and also how tech savvy he is (for the soft mod to work). End of the day a spade is a spade, and should be used for shoveling dirt -- only.

:)

who says a gaming card will not do justice to 3d work? as i type this message im working in 3ds max using the onboard gpu of a 790gx board :D {i will not recommend this to anyone but the project im doing does not require anything more than that}. so figure out what kinda project you will be doing and choose according to the need.

good man, you are the first that i am seeing on TE that went through other threads & took reference & came up with own config which is nearly best, rest all just do not want to take that effort.

but go for VX450 instead of CM.

joyceanblue said:
who says a gaming card will not do justice to 3d work? as i type this message im working in 3ds max using the onboard gpu of a 790gx board :D {i will not recommend this to anyone but the project im doing does not require anything more than that}. so figure out what kinda project you will be doing and choose according to the need.

Ya..I guess the exact nature of the work or total computer use should be assessed. I though (or could have incorrectly assumed) the OP will work exclusively with 3D, so was more in favor with PRO-Cards. Well he has seen both sides of the coin and can choose.

Guess, that is the irony of life. You are doing 3Dmax on a 790gx IGP and I am doing analytics on an ATI FireGL V7200.

As per the reviews Quadro FX 580 OpenGL performance,cool and quiet operation is a huge bonus for me, it will not heat up the system too much.

I am not that much tech savvy for modding a graphics card and I am going to use this system only for 3d works and video editing.

If I have to select from these cards, just want to know the last opinion of you guyz

GTX 260 (DDR3, 896 MB, DX 10, 182W) - 11k

ATI 5750 (DDR5, 1 GB, DX 11, ) - 9k

Quadro FX 580 (DDR3, 512 MB, DX10, 40 W) - 11k

Thanks to all for the feedback!!!

Anybody wants to check the reviews of Quadro FX 580 by its owners using 3d applications.
Follow this link:

Customer Reviews Of PNY VCQFX580-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 580 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card - Retail

ATI 5750 (DDR5, 1 GB, DX 11, ) - 9k

It's 8.4k, for the PowerColour PCS Edition, so this oe hands down.

Okay, here goes:-

cinebench.png

8800ULTRA

cinebench_02.png

8800GTS 320MB

cinebench_03.png

8600GT

specapc.png

The softmod virtually doubled the GeForce 7950 GT's overall performance in Solid Edge V20. It was particularly fast in smooth shading test and the smooth shading with textures/reflections test where it more than doubled the graphics card's performance!

FINAL COMPARISON

So, a genuine NVIDIA Quadro card is at least 2X faster than a soft-modded NVIDIA GeForce card. However, NVIDIA prices the Quadro cards at ridiculously high prices which are often 4-10X higher than the equivalent GeForce cards. As such, soft-modded GeForce cards definitely offer much better value for money, even if they do run much slower than the "real" things.

Tech ARP - NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide Rev. 4.1

REGARDING THE X-AXIS:

Check the review posted here,

Performance Gaming Vs. Workstation: GeForce GTX 280 And Quadro FX 4800 - Review Tom's Hardware : Nvidia Quadro FX 4800: Workstation Graphics At Its Finest?

This shows the same data in tabular form, with higher scores for Quadro, similarly the TechARP review, which shows 50-150% performance increase over a SOFT-MODDED card....

EDIT:- It's fps

asingh said:
Yes, of course the gaming cards are value for money. But they will not do true justice to 3D rendering for the OP. The OP hence can choose what he wants to do, and also how tech savvy he is (for the soft mod to work). End of the day a spade is a spade, and should be used for shoveling dirt -- only.

Justice is Justice!! and Fraunce is Fraunce!!

See link: Softmodded cards performing 1/2 as well as quadroFX cards at less than 1/4th of the Cost!!!. Means TWICE more VFM than quadro, while giving a decent performance level

Isnt this justice? :)

PS: Dont mind the humour, courtesy: The Pink Panther :p.

@Comp@addict:

Also while you were quoting..you missed this line from the last link which you gave.

there's no good reason to use a GeForce graphics card for workstation applications. It just doesn't pay.

It boils down to what the OP wants, as we discussed, just throwing hard data at him -- is not a good way to convince the OP.

1. OP has to be tech savvy to carry out the soft mod.

2. He gets shady driver support if using soft modded GPU for workstation work. (Depends on the quality he wants for his output).

3. He does save money if he goes the soft mod way.

4. He is never going to game. :)

He can decide now. I would suggest the Quadro 580 @ 11K

sato1986 said:
Justice is Justice!! and Fraunce is Fraunce!!
See link: Softmodded cards performing 1/2 as well as quadroFX cards at less than 1/4th of the Cost!!!. Means TWICE more VFM than quadro, while giving a decent performance level
Isnt this justice? :)

PS: Dont mind the humour, courtesy: The Pink Panther :p.

I think that is the 10th time I am looking at that link. Its not just about raw numbers that 1/2 the performance available for 1/4 of the cost. Please. Quality too has to be there. And ease of use, application installation, modification capability, support available. It like using a cycle with a motor strapped on it to get to a destination compared to a cheapo bike. Ya you get there in half the time it would on a bike, for 1/4 of the cost. Would you..! I sure would not..!

Now what you say. I never mind the humor. (I do not use a 'u') :)

Can u check is it balanced now?

INTEL CORE i-5 750 9900

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 6300

Kingston 2 X 2GB DDR3 1333MHz 4400

ATI HD 5750 1GB DDR5 8900

Westen Digital 500GB 2400

CoolerMaster elite 310 2200

Dell ST2210 21.5 9300

DVD Writer 1100

Mouse + KB 800

Corsair VX450 4000

APC 650 VA 2800

TOTAL 52000/-

Can I buy APC 500 VA instead of 650 VA

Also want to change PSU to save some money. Suggest some good PSU...

Any reviews on this dell monitor?

Thanks!

Even Sapphire ATI HD 5750 1GB DDR5 sells for 8300rs. only. Power Color ones sells for 8000rs.~
Consider MSI ATI HD 5770 1GB DDR5 9600rs. instead

CoolerMaster elite 310 sells for 1844 shipped from Mediahome.in in TE.
It sells for 1.5-1.6k. 2.2k is way too high for that cabby.

ajay11 said:
Is it really worth to spent 1.5k extra for HD5770... any major difference??
Pls give ur views on PSU and UPS.

For gaming yes its worth the difference. But u want it for 3D work right :S
Not sure about that. Why not a professional card?
The APC 550VA gives a max of 300w output and will give you a back up of 5-6 mins at peak load and 10-11 mins if the load is 150w.

If you are ok with a 5 min backup time go for the 550 VA. You have chosen energy efficient products so you wont be needing a 650VA.

The VX450 is worth every penny at 3.9k. Its kind of a lengendary PSU :D

Back