Storage Solutions [HELP] Request Temporary QNAP NAS Usage To Recover Data

bornlibra23

Disciple
I have QNAP TS251 that is broken because if the Intel CPU silicon degradation bug from the 2015 era. I would like to use someone's QNAP NAS to read the data off my drives onto my external hard disk. I will compensate that someone too.

Multiple questions:

Which city are you in?
Which filesystem?
Was the data encrypted?
How many disks and size of data?
Raid configuration?

I am not sure if qnap uses btrfs, which can complicate things. Other than that, data should be recoverable.

Multiple questions:

Which city are you in?
Which filesystem?
Was the data encrypted?
How many disks and size of data?
Raid configuration?

I am not sure if qnap uses btrfs, which can complicate things. Other than that, data should be recoverable.
Bombay
Default file system
No
2 disk 6 tb
Raid 1
Hi Arya really need your help. Please advise.
Hi Arya please let me know your advice.

Last edited:
Assuming it is running xfs or ext4 and you have drives mirrored, it should be pretty straightforward. I am in ahmedabad.

You can do this on your own. You need the following

You do need a computer, laptop will also work but data copy speed will be a lot slower.
A dock or adapter for 3.5 inch hdd
another disk with at least 6TB if you are not sure. Lesser if you have less amount of data on it. USB external disk will work, it will be slower. Best if the spare disk is internal.

better if it has internal HDD with the capacity of data you need to copy. You also need to use some basic linux commands. Have a friend help you if you don't know it all.

1. Create an ubuntu bootable usb.
2. Boot with USB disk
3. connect disks. 1 of the disks from qnap. Another in which you will copy the data.
4. Be sure to mount the disk from qnap in read only mode.
5. with xfs or ext4 you should be able to copy data by just drag and drop. Use rsync to be sure that everything is copied off correctly.

You'll find a bunch of tutorials on youtube. If you're not able to find anything specific let me know and I'll try to find links relevant for you.

Simplest one I found -

Keep one of the disks untouched, if nothing works you can ship it to me. But i think you should be able to do it on your own.

Assuming it is running xfs or ext4 and you have drives mirrored, it should be pretty straightforward. I am in ahmedabad.

You can do this on your own. You need the following

You do need a computer, laptop will also work but data copy speed will be a lot slower.
A dock or adapter for 3.5 inch hdd
another disk with at least 6TB if you are not sure. Lesser if you have less amount of data on it. USB external disk will work, it will be slower. Best if the spare disk is internal.

better if it has internal HDD with the capacity of data you need to copy. You also need to use some basic linux commands. Have a friend help you if you don't know it all.

1. Create an ubuntu bootable usb.
2. Boot with USB disk
3. connect disks. 1 of the disks from qnap. Another in which you will copy the data.
4. Be sure to mount the disk from qnap in read only mode.
5. with xfs or ext4 you should be able to copy data by just drag and drop. Use rsync to be sure that everything is copied off correctly.

You'll find a bunch of tutorials on youtube. If you're not able to find anything specific let me know and I'll try to find links relevant for you.

Simplest one I found -

Keep one of the disks untouched, if nothing works you can ship it to me. But i think you should be able to do it on your own.
The qnap disks use a proprietary extension of lvm. Will this still work?

If you don't have any other options you can send the one of the disks over to me and I will try to recover the data. Unfortunately, I don't have lot of spare time and bit of travel too. So please keep that in mind.

Back