HELP required for troubleshooting lack of connectivity

Kneo

Adept
Hi,
I am a MTNL Triband (850NU) user. I have been using the Starcom UT340(?) router since the last 5 months now. It is directly connected to my onboard LAN slot on A8NE. On top of this I have configured (by following instructions from a website) PPOE connection for the same (to enable scheduled dial ins/disconnects)

Yesterday all of a sudden my PPOE connection failed. On exploring more, I found that I was not able to ping my router at all. I have tried the following

1. Change the lan cable connecting router + PC.
2. Change the slot in the router.
3. Check the light (displaying connectivity on the mobo) - its working
4. Enable/disable the hardware (nVidia networking controller) - still nothing
5. The router does show the light of the slot that i am using and the tray icon too displays it as connected.
6. Restart the router umpteen times.
7. Reset the router.
8. Try DHCP and a static address on the PC (192.168.1.2)
Please let me know what else can I try. How do i know whether its the router or my onboard mobo LAN slot which went kaput. I dont have any extra router or a LAN card to check this :(

Please help.

Have u checked with any firewall blocking the connecting(Try disabling any firewall or for that matter antivirus)..
Also try uninstalling and reinstalling the Lan card drivers.

Not worked then try connecting with other pc or laptop if possible

Have tried disabling the firewall. Not tried uninstalling/reinstalling the LAN card drivers. When i ping the local loopback, it works fine (I think that means that the adapter is working, isnt it).

I dont have any other PC or laptop - this one is a home PC actually.

How do I test whether the modem is working fine?

Kneo said:
Have tried disabling the firewall. Not tried uninstalling/reinstalling the LAN card drivers. When i ping the local loopback, it works fine (I think that means that the adapter is working, isnt it).

I dont have any other PC or laptop - this one is a home PC actually.

How do I test whether the modem is working fine?

Yes ur modem is fine as u got the ping .Have u tried connecting to the net .As u told that u have reseted the modem try reconfigaring it again and see if it works

techfreak said:
Yes ur modem is fine as u got the ping .Have u tried connecting to the net .As u told that u have reseted the modem try reconfigaring it again and see if it works

You misread - i got ping from the local loopback (127.0.0.1) - not from the modem (192.168.1.1)

Somehow all the lights blinking on the modem seems really fine - would it be possible for the router to have any other IP other than 192.168.1.1 (thats what its supposed to have according to the manual). I have tried DHCP but to no avail - the adapter fails to acquire an IP.

Ok! Getting ping from the localhost does'nt mean ur Adapter is good(I may be wrong ).
I think Only way to chk the modem is good or not is by connecting it to the working system(Try on ur friends system if possible)
Ohh forgot have u smelled the modem for burn signs.Chk it

I was under the impression that local pings to loopback IPs does mean that its working fine (and the light is working too !!).

There are no burn signs and the modem apparently is showing all the expected signs in terms of its LEDs (stable connection, etc.)

have u configured the subnet mask properly? what does ipconfig /all report?

also try this: right click on ur pc lan icon and click on repair.

Tried repair to no avail.

The subnet mask is okay (255.255.255.0) - basically the settings are the as when it was working.

Back