Mac OS Help resolve a few issues with Leopard

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
It's been just 4 days since I've been using Leopard, and I'm already loving it :D ... but I've got a few minor niggles that I'd like to be resolved

1) I'm not able to move a file from one location to other, I've to copy it and then delete it from the original location or use drag and drop, so is there a solution or a script to get the move option on the right click menu ??

2)I'm able to see all the hidden and protected files on the windows partition through finder, which I don't want to be able to do for obvious reasons :eek:hyeah: So what can be done about it ?

3)is there any way to increase the size of the os partition ?? had to format and install the whole thing again cause I was running out of space.

4)could you have finder display an address bar, like you get with windows explorer ?? (I googled and found that it isn't possible, but still asking :p ).

thexfactor said:
1) I'm not able to move a file from one location to other, I've to copy it and then delete it from the original location or use drag and drop, so is there a solution or a script to get the move option on the right click menu ??
You don't have the "Cut" option in Leopard. The only option remains available to you is "Drag and Drop". But that too remains restricted to one partition (AFAIK). When you drag files over other partitions, they get copied, so you'll have to delete the original ones..

thexfactor said:
2)I'm able to see all the hidden and protected files on the windows partition through finder, which I don't want to be able to do for obvious reasons :eek:hyeah: So what can be done about it ?
Try using Apimac Secret Folder.

thexfactor said:
3)is there any way to increase the size of the os partition ?? had to format and install the whole thing again cause I was running out of space.
Try using Drive Genius. It might help..

thexfactor said:
4)could you have finder display an address bar, like you get with windows explorer ?? (I googled and found that it isn't possible, but still asking :p ).
Yes, but at the bottom of the Finder window.. To enable it in Finder, go to View --> Show Path Bar.
Other alternative way to see the path of the folder you're currently in is to Command + Click (Or right click) on the name of the Finder Window on the top bar.. That way, you can jump to any earlier location.. :p

1) Use Command key + drag while moving files... it's equivalent to Shift + drag operation on Windows for force moving files.

2) I think you can change this behavior using Onyx, it's free maintenance utility for OS X, which also has some UI tweaks/customization options. I believe you can turn of showing hidden files under finder pane in this app... not sure though, I don't have my mac in front of me right now. Will go home and check it out.

3) No idea... I'm using single drive, single partition on my Macbook... not sure if built-in Disk Utility can resize the partition or not.

4) Mihir already provided the same solution I was going to offer. :)

3. You can resize partitions in leopard (event he one with the OS) using the Disk Utility that comes with the OS. (Note that Tigers Disk Utility does not have this feature) However you need to have the free space immediately next to the partition you are resizing. I haven't had occasion to increase the partition size, but I did decrease my OS partition size using that.

^ i suggest using iPartition.

P.s. Cut paste won't work if ur doing it from and NTFS partitioned drive to a Mac drive since Mac cannot write/delete data from an NTFS formatted drive(it can only read). Try using Macfuse for that.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion guys, will try them out :)

@Lord Nemesis : I had free unpartitioned space right next to the mac partition which I could see in the partition tab. I tried to drag to resize but it didn't allow me to increase the partition to include the free space, in the end I decided not to risk it since I had a lot of data on the disk :/

@benny : I've installed Paragon NTFS/EXT, so I can read/write to ntfs/ext partitions

iGo said:
2) I think you can change this behavior using Onyx, it's free maintenance utility for OS X, which also has some UI tweaks/customization options. I believe you can turn of showing hidden files under finder pane in this app... not sure though, I don't have my mac in front of me right now. Will go home and check it out.

thanks ... will give Onyx a try.

another doubt, is leopard(unix) able to read file attributes set by windows(dos), like hidden attrib set by windows in this case ?? i.e will the file hidden in windows also be hidden in leopard ??

thexfactor said:
thanks ... will give Onyx a try.

another doubt, is leopard(unix) able to read file attributes set by windows(dos), like hidden attrib set by windows in this case ?? i.e will the file hidden in windows also be hidden in leopard ??

No it cannot, stop trying to integrating your Mac and Windows and stick with one OS will you :eek:hyeah:

^ Yeah. I'd hate having them both on one machine, and never ever on the same disk. Unless Windows was on a Virtual Machine. :p
Rather than dragging your way through, it would be smarter to use a plugin called QuickAccess. There is one more thing called FinderPop, which I did not want to use.

Although yeah, when you are doing a cut-paste across partitions, its essentially a copy-paste-delete, at least in most of the OSes that I have used.

^Well both are on different disks, I just select which hdd to boot from at startup (F8). Have macdrive(windows) and Paragon NTFS installed to be able to read/write from the windows/mac partition :)

btw thanks for the replies, managed to get all the issues rectified and successfully updated to 10.5.8, Was thinking about going for snow leopard, anyone managed to get it installed on their AMD system ??

I'm a bit hesitant cause it took me a few tries to get everything working with the current install, don't wanna go through it again :p

I keep several versions of windows under Vmware Fusion. That gives me a good control over when i want to use windows and files stores there and when i dont. So you can keep stuff you want hidden in a virtual machine and close it, its gone.

cheers.

Back