Storage Solutions Help : Setting up Raid0

espeez

Disciple
I want to setup Raid0 on
2 X WD 10k 37GB hdds
Abit IP35Pro mobo n Q6600 proccy
WinXP Pro OS
I have a few Qs. What Raid0 drivers should I use(the ones on the mobo CDs or any other better/updated ones)?
I have cloned the C: (OS+programs) drive of the hdd I am presently using WinXP on now onto another hdd. Is there anyway I can copy back the clone once the RAID0 is setup? I'd hate to install all the programs once again.
Is there anyway i can load the RAID drivers off an usb stick for WinXP?
Else i gotta rip out the fdd from my old machine n find/buy a workin floppy disk tsk. Will Vista Ultimate give me options to load RAID drivers off usb?
Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thx :)

With XP, u'll have to load drivers via floppy only. Better still, u can integrate the drivers using nLite which is easier and hassle free. Regarding drivers, its always better to use WHQL drivers when installing a fresh Windows. So, if you find updated SIGNED drivers go ahead. I don't think it's possible 2 use a non-RAID clone onto a RAID setup. Vista, anyone else have the answer? I think the answer is yes but I don't know as Vista recognised my nVidia RAID without any intervention on my side.

"Will XP give me options to load RAID drivers off usb?"

No, only FDD IMO.

"Will Vista Ultimate give me options to load RAID drivers off usb?"

Yes, you can browse it in too while installation of vista, and point to the right driver.

"I don't think it's possible 2 use a non-RAID clone onto a RAID setup."

I don't think this should be in issue, but I have never used clones, but used raid enough.

But i think you might just have to setup the raid before even starting installing vista or XP,

and tell the Sata Bios or whatever to make a RAID 0 or whatever you want out of your HDD's.

And then put the vista/XP boot CD, then again point the installation to your

Raid controller drivers and then vista will recoginse it as one disk.

Hope this help..

Cheers,

PS. I really don't know if its worth the effort, esp. if you don't have a UPS.

Most of the time you will be trying to fixing arrays in raid 0 though I have almost

always tried this on nVidia Chipsets which aint the greatest for this.

just download windows xp with integrated sata raid drivers and then it will detect the array which u made in bios , then create partition on the array and install xp :)

Back