Help! Speed's Dropped From 2mbps to 256kbps [MTNL Mumbai]

kidrow

Adept
Dear all,

I've had MTNL Mumbai broadband [@Goregaon] for the past one and a half years - DSL_TRIB_59NU [Rs.590pm Night Unlimited] - & enjoyed speeds close to 2mbps during that time. For the past few days, due to a server crash initially & later due to some line problem, I was without internet connectivity. Now that it's been fixed, however, my speeds have dropped to 256kbps!

So how do I go about getting my speed back up again? Should I speak to the local linesman? Or do I merely register a complaint with 1504? Or do I speak to someone at the local Goregaon exchange? What would be my best bet?

Do I have the right to demand earlier speeds, given that my plan seems to have been discontinued now? & if I cannot do so, would shifting to the DSL NU 849 plan give me that right [since it expressly mentions max download speed as 2mbps]?

Please suggest the best way to go about this as I don't want to botch things up. Downloads at 256kbps are such a pain! Thanks a lot.

yea u were lucky to have tht 2mbps for sooo long.. ull have to shift to 849NU to get 2 mbps.. the 590NU is 256kbps officially...

2 mbps from BSNL/MTNL was always crap.
In Kolkata I found the download traffic graph looks like a sawtooth; practically getting disconnected every 15-20 mins, finally giving an avarage 256 kbps.
I was hardly ever successful in download a ~100MB from Rapidshare, always breaks in the middle. :mad:

Thanks for your replies. I'd thought that 256kbps was the minimum speed for 590 UL. Didn't realise that it was supposed to be the maximum limit. If that is indeed the case then I was really lucky to get such terrific speeds for so long.

I don't mind shifting to the 849 plan provided I get my ~2mbps speeds. If I do change over & don't get those speeds, then what?! Can I then demand better speeds as a matter of right? Could I then argue that I should be getting ~2mbps since I was getting it earlier & therefore the line, distance from the exchange etc. can't be any preventive factors?

Awaiting your replies. Thanks.

^^ Dude shifting to 849 NU gives you the right to ask for increase in speed .... But do not think they will increase ur speed just because u changed your plan ... Calling 1504 hardly does any gud ....

Call up the GM's office and ask for the increase in speed ....

Shri A K Takkar General Manager (BB) 24310645

I had done the same thing...But the lady at the other end threatened me .. "Hum speed toh badha dengey lekin uske baad agar disconnections hone lag gaye toh yaha complaint mat karna " :p

I have a speed of around 1.5 Mbps at night ... and around 900 kbps during daytime .... I am trying to survive with this for the time being .. but if the connection remains stable for a week or two then I might call them up again for the increase to 2mbps ....

Thanks for the tip sharezebra. I'll keep that in mind. I'm waiting till the end of the month to see what the shift in plan will bring. In the meantime, I'll try and get an assurance from someone higher up that the speed will increase.

Thanks to all for your help. I'm still open to any suggestions/advice you'll might have.

^^ wakeup kidrow...... u are in india and have no right to ask even minimal desirable quality of service even if u for the same....... wake up...

Harpy.eagle said:
^^ wakeup kidrow...... u are in india and have no right to ask even minimal desirable quality of service even if u for the same....... wake up...

Well, at least I gotta try! & being hopeful ain't gonna cost me a paisa, so I might as well hope for the best. Being positive is the first step to getting things done. & quite frankly, I don't have a choice.;)

Back