Help! Suggest a best CPU to run Emulators

Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading my D930 and 945GCL + 2GB DDR2 system with a dual/quad CPU + mobo with possible sata 6bps and usb 3.0 and a RAM with longer warranty.

Purpose: Mainly / most importantly to run the Android Emulator.
The Android Emulator upon opening takes up only single core. But after going to task manager and assigning its affinity to 2 cores (in my D930), it equally uses both cores.

But still, i dunno which one is best -
3MB Cache, 3.1 GHz - i3 2100 [OR] 3.1GHz, 2MB, Athlon II X4 645 [OR] 3.2 GHz, 2MB Phenom II

Or is there any other better processor for this. Please help!

Go for Phenom II X4 955/965BE @ 6k. Has 4 cores, and 8MB cache along with Asus M4A87TD EVO USB3 @ 5k. It has sata 6gbps and USB 2.0 ports.

Gte a small capacity SSD, as the android SDK with all updates has around 30,000+ files with small size. An SSD will give you real speed advantage. install OS and Android SDk on it.

i3 2100 or any of the higher sandy bridge processors matched with an H67 motherboard will be the best value for money option and will give better performance than the other processors.

^^

Okay laugh on that one, the Core i3 2100 may beat the current generation Phenom II quads on a single-tread, as soon as it goes over into multi-thread territory, you are going into Phenom territory, game performance is pretty much same.

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News.

AMD has more than this playing in its favor, the fact that this set-up will be cheaper to achieve (an AMD 870G + Phenom IIx4 955 ~ 11000/-, Intel Core i3 2100 + H67 chipset -- non-Intel original ~ 13000/-), this finally puts AMD yet again as the Value King.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Intel i3 - 2100 + H67MA-E35 (USB3+6GB/s) = 11475
PhenomII 955 BE + M4A88TD M EVO USB3 6GBps = 12650

I'm willing to save that extra 1175. I thought of going for x4 635, which would account to 11,100. But dOm1naTOr has specifically told 955 for Emulator it seems.

So which one shall i go for? 645 or 955 or 2100?

@dOm1naTOr - I wouldn't go for SSD as of now. May be after three months. And i definitely need a usb3 and 6gbps. AUdio and video chipset not important as i have 9600gt and creative x-fi fatal1ty.
@yashchitale - by saying "better performance" - you mean in emulator?
@ALPHA17 - for 11K with 955 cpu, i'll get an Asus M4A88T/M motherboard which doesn't have usb3 and 6 gbps. If i want to get a motherboard like that, i'll go for intel original DH61WW for 3350, then the CPU+MOBO combo for intel would be 9325. Intel will be double value king. :)

Do you currently have a IDE DVD R/W or HDD. Most H61/H67 lacks IDE ports.
Also what PSU do you have? Its better to upgrade to a decent PSU if you have the one that comes with the cabinet! My guess is you might not own a GPU. If you have one please let us know which one!

Also where are you located? Because you can get a i3 2100 and MSI H67A-E35 for 11k from SMC Intl Delhi :) (6k+5k)
For RAM i would suggest the Corsair Value RAM 4GB 1333MHz ~ 2.1k (single stick)

Unless your emulator is capable of utilizing 4 cores it would better to stick with the dual core i3 2100!

Plus the PhenomII's L3 cache comes in handy while gaming but not much otherwise! So if AMD go for the AthlonII X4 640~4.6k+Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H ~ 4.1k(No USB 3.0 or SATA 6Gbps) or MSI 880GMA-E45 ~ 5.25k (Has SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0)

Else if you do not mind waiting for a bit more then you can wait for the AMD Bulldozers to hit the stores before deciding on which one to go for (July launch)

emmarbee said:
Thanks for the reply guys.

Intel i3 - 2100 + H67MA-E35 (USB3+6GB/s) = 11475
PhenomII 955 BE + M4A88TD M EVO USB3 6GBps = 12650

I'm willing to save that extra 1175. I thought of going for x4 635, which would account to 11,100. But dOm1naTOr has specifically told 955 for Emulator it seems.

So which one shall i go for? 645 or 955 or 2100?

@dOm1naTOr - I wouldn't go for SSD as of now. May be after three months. And i definitely need a usb3 and 6gbps. AUdio and video chipset not important as i have 9600gt and creative x-fi fatal1ty.
@yashchitale - by saying "better performance" - you mean in emulator?
@ALPHA17 - for 11K with 955 cpu, i'll get an Asus M4A88T/M motherboard which doesn't have usb3 and 6 gbps. If i want to get a motherboard like that, i'll go for intel original DH61WW for 3350, then the CPU+MOBO combo for intel would be 9325. Intel will be double value king. :)
Okay what software will you use for emulation purpose? And what is the main aim of this RIG, use the template provided to submit a detailed response please -- http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/template-what-should-i-buy-use-143714.html

Don't you think with the advent of 64-bit optimised software the advantages of the quad-core is evident. Okay can you please give source foir prices, I'll give you links backing up my claim.

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core - TheITWares -- AMD Phenom IIx4 955.
TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100 -- Intel Core i3 2100.
TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard -- ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3.
TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Intel DH67BL LGA 1155 Micro ATX Motherboard -- cheapest LGA 1155 board I could find no mention of B-3 revision OR USB 3.0 and SATA III.

For a 1000/- increment, more L3 cache + 2 more cores + USB 3.0 and SATA III support is a acceptable gain to me.

Intel i3 - 2100 if oced to some 4.5Ghz or close will have an upper hand in multithreading, else PII 955 wins, if you set CPU affinity to 4 cores. If you have a GPU already opt for ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 . Its really 500 bucks cheaper than the 88TD one. Seems itwares hasnt updated the price. And its a full ATX mobo, and has lot better features than the 88TD mobo, but the 87TD has no IGP.

@alpha17 - I'm quoting my prices from deltapage.com/list/index.html.
I'll get a bit cheaper than what is quoted in that site.

Here's the template

Code:
Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel D930
Motherboard - D945GCLF
RAM - Transcend 2X1GB DDR2 800
HDD - SG 500 GB + Undetectable WD 320GB
Optical Drive - LiteOn DVDRW IDE
GPU - Zotac 9600GT
Sound Card - Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
Cabinet - Zebronics Sivaji
SMPS - Zebronics Platinum 400W
Monitor - Dell SP2208WFP
KB/MS - Logitech
UPS - None
SPKS - Logitech Z5500

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

HDD - SG 500 GB + Undetectable WD 320GB
Optical Drive - LiteOn DVDRW IDE
GPU - Zotac 9600GT
Sound Card - Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
Cabinet - Zebronics Sivaji
SMPS - Zebronics Platinum 400W
Monitor - Dell SP2208WFP
KB/MS - Logitech
UPS - None
SPKS - Logitech Z5500
Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i3 / AMD X4 645
Motherboard - Cheapest possible with USB 3.0/ 6 Gbps
RAM - 2 GB DDR3

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component 

No upgrade whatsoever unless i win a jackpot/lottery.
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Richie Street, Chennai (less than Deltapage prices) [OR] Online (if price diff. is huge) 

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No way!

Q: What is the intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming - if GPU/CPU permits.
Browsing - 60% usage
Desktop Processing - 10%
HTPC - Weekly 4-5 movies.
Download rig - whatever my 512 kbps can handle
Emulator - Will be running Android Emulator 8 hrs a day. Starting the emulator and handling the emulator takes RAW CPU power. And it isn't optimised for multi core yet. (But "set affinity" option can be used in Win 7)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Any Brand is ok that has good VFM. Don't care about service quality as long as the service center is in chennai.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
FPS - COD: MW, Crysis, BF3 etc., (Will only be getting 2-3 titles per year).
Racing - Only NFS and that too if it is rated well.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1680x1050, if GPU permits.
Desktop - 1680x1050

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Not until the CPU is bottle necked by applications in the future.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Most probably Win 7 32-bit. If 64 bit is proved worthay, then Win7/8 64-bit.
@Dark Angel - Yes I have one IDE DVDRW. And ya OMG!!! (No IDE in H67MA-E35 sob sob sob) I'm getting price from chennai richie street. Current price is 5800/4900 for i3-2100/H67MA-E35

And one IMPORTANT question - will there be a price drop any sooner? cause if it is so, I can definitely wait! (Don't want to see prices drop the week after I bought it and stay at that price for next one year)...

Once DB releases in June/July, you will get much faster performance for this same price. So at least AMD prices may drop. Intel might not, but just might. But you will definitely get a better AMD at the same price point!

Wait for 1 month dude, you got nothing to lose. If BD is too good, prices may drop on INTEL's side. In every way, it's win-win for you.

dOm1naTOr:1796637 said:
Intel i3 - 2100 if oced to some 4.5Ghz or close will have an upper hand in multithreading, else PII 955 wins, if you set CPU affinity to 4 cores. If you have a GPU already opt for ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 . Its really 500 bucks cheaper than the 88TD one. Seems itwares hasnt updated the price. And its a full ATX mobo, and has lot better features than the 88TD mobo, but the 87TD has no IGP.

You cannot overclock the i3 2100 because it has a locked multiplier.

@OP As others suggested, better to wait and see what AMD's new lineup offers.

I still haven't bought the PC. I've recently went to purchase a PC for my friend.
Got MSI H67MA-E35 for 3.2K. Informed the shopkeep that he has quoted very low. He called up the dealer and had few words and said it was 4.5K (which, it wasn't. It's 4.9K). Again while billing he put it as 3.2K. This time I didn't mention it. I checked the motherboard to see whether it has been used, but I couldn't find any problem with it.

Is the price for this motherboard dropped?

Back