(Help) Surfing or downloading using Wi-fi

amitmk

Adept
I have a Linksys WRT 120 N router and the LAN cable is connected to my desktop while the Wi-Fi is used for the laptop/Ipad/Mobile phone.

Suppose i am downloading a torrent or something on the desktop I am unable to even surf the web on either of the other 3 devices. The moment i stop the download on the desktop I am able to download & surf on the laptop OR just surf on all - laptop/Ipad/mobile.

If i am not downloading anything on the desktop / laptop I am able to surf on every device simaltaneously.

What do i do that will allow me to maybe restrict download speeds on the desktop / laptop so that someone else can atleast surf on another device (In case this is the solution) ?

thatsashok said:
I think this can be done by QoS by giving low priority to torrents and high priority to other devices via IP /MAC address

That does not work most of the time, since the cheap routers do not appear to read the QoS before routing the packet. Its better to limit the bandwidth from within utorrent, it works most of the time.

But first try out the priority thing, then go with limiting the bandwidth, as Linksys routers should read the QoS field.

thatsashok said:
I think this can be done by QoS by giving low priority to torrents and high priority to other devices via IP /MAC address

Interesting. But pls explain keeping in mind i'm a layman :)

Where should I go, What should I do?

Enter in "430" as the "Uplink" speed and "4500" as the "Downlink." Click "Apply Settings" and the QoS settings will be set and the router will reboot itself. When the router comes back on, QoS will be running.

What does the 430 and 4500 signify? Does this impact anything else?

Back