Help to decide Dell U2711 v/s Dell 3008wfp vs any best 32" LED/LCD TV

ssr

Disciple
Plz help me deciding a monitor
Usage: Moviez, Gamez
Current Monitor: Dell G2410 (LED)
I did not get the WoW impression with the current monitor. I am looking for monitor with good color gamut support. So planning to use this as a secondary monitor.

Anyone using dell 27" or 30"? Does it lag during game play?
How about availability of 30" monitors in India? (except Apples display)

For new monitor/TV(Max 32), I am only expecting good eye candy for Games & Movies without any lags.
Thanks in advance

Dell 27inch and 30inch displays are pretty expensive - you may know it already. The 27inch Dell U2711 costs ~40k INR and the 30inch 3007WFP/3008WFP costs close to 80k INR (IIRC cranky has a 3007WFP and I recall him posting a similar price for it in the forums). Are you looking for an LCD at this budget? What work are you involved in? If it doesn't involve too much of text-related applications, content-creation, image editing etc. you are better off with a 32inch LCD monitor instead - movies and games look pretty good in LCD TVs if you can have it calibrated properly (sharpness specifically!).

Post your budget as well!

Thanks for quick replay, Budject is not a concern for me at this point, But I donot want to shell out too much like an Apple displays.
I have seen PrimeABGB listing of Dell 2711 for 43k, and I have yet to get a quote from a local dealer.

I also donot work with text releated stuff, atleast at home.

There are quite a few Dell employees in the forum as well. You may ask them to get a quote, if it turns out to be a bit cheaper. :)

Good luck!

What about Dell U2711 v/s Dell 3008wfp vs any best 32" LED/LCD TV ?
I have been digging forms for a long time for this but not able to decide :(

The U2711 and the 3007WFP/3008WFP has a totally different resolution than the 32incher LCD TVs. 2560x1600 (3007/8WFP) and 2560x1440 (U2711) v/s 1920x1080. So the former would require a better GPU to drive the games you play and the HD movies would now occupy a portion of the display akin to how your DVD rips would look when you play them on the 24inch displays albeit slightly less worse. Moreover, the IPS panels would lend a better image quality to the display on the LCDs suited for professional image editors, video and architectural rendering and so forth. Which is essentially you pay the price of a 46inch LCD TV for a 30inch LCD display. :)

If you have a decent system ATM and you were to use, say for instance a GTX460 to drive the LCD TV, it would do fine and the games would run at the best eye candy (barring few of them). But this wouldn't be the case for the LCDs you have considered - you will require another GTX460 or a better card to drive them to get the best IQ.

I'd say get a LCD TV such as the Samsung LA32C530/C550 which has an S-PVA panel (pretty good!), have it calibrated properly esp. the sharpness so you could get the best of both worlds - better text, games do fine and the movies look good too. And you need not spend a fortune for it!

Your problem seems like you have loads of cash and you desperately need to spend it on a big display irrespective of what panel and specs it has. :p

:no:, I have been thinking of LED v/s 3D TV for a quite some time. But I got hypnotized after looking at Apple cinema display :ashamed:.

Apple Cinema display is an IPS panel with LED backlighting, and 2560x resolution.

When you have a 2560x display, gaming is a very tough challenge for even the biggest graphics cards of today unless you are willing to compromise on eye candy or resolution, which is kind of pointless if you're splurging on the display itself. A 5970 is the way to go for new games and full 2560x resolution and lots of eye candy, no single GPU can handle such a high resolution smoothly. I still play mostly old games (Arkham Asylum being the most recent), and my 4870 x2 is sufficient for the time being. All digital displays exhibit lag - look at the AT article for more information on this effect. This is not the same as ghosting, which my 3008WFP (not 3007, as has been incorrectly pointed out) does not exhibit at all. It does have a bit of input lag but does not create problems for me while playing games, so I assume it is small enough that it is not an issue.

All large IPS panels have some backlight bleed, and this can get irritating in a dark room and dark movie scenes. Under bright light, the superior accuracy and better native contrast of IPS panels makes a huge difference when you work with professional applications, or even just surfing the web.

HD rips play better at native resolution, making 24" 1920x monitors a more sensible choice if you want to watch a lot of movies, so the situation gets complicated. Large screens with low resolution - such as the 32" TVs with 'only' 1920x - have dot pitch problems at typical desktop distance - icons look way too large for my taste, and text is pixelated. It's a larger screen, but actually has less real estate. And they suck for any application requiring accuracy, with viewing optimised to video rather than gamut coverage and true colours.

It would seem you are torn between apples and oranges, as it were. You have to first decide what you want the display to do for most of the time, and only then you will make an informed choice. Hypnosis is all nice and it's your money to waste, so all the best for that!

I think cranky pretty much summed it up there but either u didnt read it or didnt understand it.

Panels and Resolutions are two different thing. So i dont see sense in asking the question "What about TV with IPS panel". The resolution would remain the same so you will still face the Same problem. Lets take Philips PFL 5609 in picture. Its an IPS panel TV but its still dsnt work properly as a Monitor. Icons are small, text to some extent is pixelated etc.

So if you work involves manipulating text dont get a TV since it would be a royal pain in the arse.

Simply put Monitors give you more Real Estate in the same size segment as they have higher resolution. Now this higher resolution is helpfull in ur case is what u have to decide.

Apple Cinema is brighter than U2711 since it doesnt have a Anti Glare coat. If that dsnt matter to you get a Dell U2711.

I know that, I don't have any problems with small/large text or small/large icons because I will be using my existing monitor(Read my first post).
For new monitor/TV I am only expecting good eye candy in games and movies that's all (Updated my first post to avoid confusion).

^Forget IPS panels if you are worried of input lags. An S-PVA panel would be your best bet. I wouldn't bank on LG's LCDs because they resort to a lot of cheap marketing tactics. Haven't heard of Sharp's displays since they seem to be pretty rare. I am not sure of the Sharp LCDs are sold in numbers for the consumer segment although a lot of industries and organisations use them. For instance, we have a lot of Sharp displays in our organisation to display ships' models and 3D rendering.

I say go to a Croma or any outlet, see the Samsung LA32C530/C550 in person, demo it yourself with all the games and HD rips on your laptop and buy one from a cheaper outlet. :)

how much Chroma is costlier than others?
We do have several sharp IDP at our org, but sharp panel is out of question now, bz of insane price and delivery time.
I don't have a good lptp :(
what's the difference between LA32C530/550/650 ?
Also some of the LED panels have some extra lag in switching the resolution or while turning ON, Is there any method to test this.

For others reference,Here is the price list I got from Chroma, Audishwar, Samsung/Sony outlets .
All these outlets seems to have similar prices.

Samsung
-----------------------------
UA32C5000 - 50
UA32C6900 - 59-Samsung, 62-Adishwar
LA32C630 - 45
LA32C650 - 50
LA40C630 - 65
LA40C650 - 72

Sony
-------------------
KLV-32Ex600 - 50
KLV-32Ex700 - 63
KLV-32Nx500 - 43
KLV-40Ex600 - 80
KLV-40Ex700 - 1L

LG
--------------
32LE5500 - 53
32LE7500 - ?
32LD6500 - 43
42LD650 - 67
42LH70YR - 58

Chroma LED-40 - 70

For me Sony Ex series, samsung 6 series, LG-LED were good.
In these Sony Ex was best with HD.

But according to Shripad in some post, BE3 engine is not good for PC use, So Samsung is the best option for me now.
Dell monitor is out of question now because I donot want-to upgrade GF card.
Any idea on LG-LED TV for Gaming and Movies from Computer?

Sony is the Best according to me.

Since it doubles as a TV and a Monitor it is a good option over Dell and Apple displays.

I am currently using a Sony 19 inch TV(check signature) as my monitor which is currently set at a res of 1360x768@ 50Hz via HDMI.

Movies look Excellent on that Display and so do Text but you need to calibrate the display to get the best of both the worlds.

Samsung is something that I would avoid over Sony because of the Quality and simplicity.

I currently have 3 LCD TVs

-32 inch BRAVIA 2007 model (BE Engine)

-19 inch BRAVIA 2008 model (BE2 Engine)

-26inch Samsung 2009 Model (Wine inspired design)

Believe me the Best display is still Sony at least for me.

I have seen the New Designs also and the LED Backlit one is the Best for HD videos.

Devras Products (Chickpet, Bangalore), list products almost 5k less than the above list in compareindia.in.com, Any one has experience with this Shop?

Holy shit! Dude congrats. Calibrate the LCD well and you will get outstanding results. I am sure Udit must have told you how bad Bravia LCDs are when it comes to displaying PC output through HDMI as opposed to what harishgayathri has posted above. ;)

Congrats again! Awesomeness!

Back