CPU/Mobo Help:USB device overcurrent status detected

Blugene

Adept
hello,

my frnd is having this weird issue since last couple of days. after powering on the screen displays 'usb device overcurrent status detected...shutting down computer in 15 seconds' even before the bios screen comes up.

did a lot of searching on net but cudn't find any concrete solution. Some suggest to replace the cmos battery, some say it might be a shorting problem while a few other opine to downgrade the bios to an earlier version(when the bios screen ain't coming up how do u update/downgrade the bios?:mad:)...

if any of u hv faced the issue before it'd be nice of u to post the solution, if any( other than to RMA the board or taking the machine to the shop from where it was bought).

the machine was purchased abt a year back. its a amd 3000+(939), Asus a8v-vm mobo based one.

yeah that was with no usb devices plugged in. the comp was working fine just a few days back n the cabinet was not even opened once ever since it was bought. I'll remove the mobo from the cabinet and see if it boots up. also hv to check teh jumper thing mentioned in that post.

I have seen the same problem in brand new Compaq machines too. Machines were working fine except for no USB. Got the machines replaced as Compaq said it was a mobo fault.

Back