Help ! Victim of Debit card fraud :(

vinodh89

Disciple
Guys, So I tried doing a transaction this morning in this site called FirstCry.com : Asias Largest Online Portal for Baby Products and Toys, Buy Diapers, Clothes, Car Seats, Strollers

I checked out the cart and entered the card details. The payment gateway was Axis bank. After I clicked on Submit, the next page was a blank page. I thought it was some technical glitch and immediately checked my bank balance to check if the amount was debited. And the amount remained the same. And I thought I'll give a try later.

An hour bank I checked the balance again and to my shock there has been a transaction of 14,036 and 18,459 rupees totalling to around 33,000 Rupees :(

The transaction statement shows - DELIAS and which when googled seems to be a gift certificates buying site.

I'm gonna have to visit my bank tomorrow. Is there any possibility of getting the amount back ? Is that even remotely possible.

Let me know your suggestions and opinions guys :(

UPDATE: I called the Delias customer service and they've revoked the amount on my request. So most prolly I should get the funds(14k) back in my account in a week or so.

And there is another transaction of 18k which in my bank statement shows as EMERGENCY EFTPOS. And I've got no clue on this. From a bit of googling it looks like the fraudster has used my card to recharge his cashcard(in some countries debitcards are called this way)

Any one has any idea on what this EMERGENCY EFTPOS means ?

P.S Indian Overseas is my bank

Do they have customer care??? Call them up immediately, and ask them not to process the charges. With cc its easier and possible, not sure with banks....

once i got charged twice by ccavenue for the same stuff. contacted their customer service and got refund in 3 days. Hope it works for you too.

No idea about debit cards - but with credit cards I've have charged twice for one particular transaction several times. Everytime I got my money back within 3-4 days automatically. You contact your bank also and ask them how to stop or reverse the payment. For CC you can claim chargeback not sure about debit card.

I dont see any visa/mastercard logos of secure payment over there ! Thats first thing i check in case of credit cards and if its for debit card, then ofcourse it will redirect me to my bank site. I dont see why you have to give any third person your card details.

It clearly appears that you were cheated. I would take advice from my bank and file a police complaint immediately.

>>The payment gateway was Axis bank.

So the web page which pass the call to Axis bank gateway was hacked!! as I doubt that the gateway was hacked

I tried one dummy payment and reached https://migs.mastercard.com.au using axis bank gateway which looks a genuine site from google search. So god knows what happened that time.

Your only saving point would be to contact your Bank CC and asked them to contact Delias to void the coupon issued and reject the payment. Instead of tomorrow do it IMMEDIATELY.

do contact FirstCry CC and BLAST them, make sure you mail your bank and First cry on this with a copy to you.

Did you enter your visa protection pwd as well? if so change it ASAP or block the card itself. If not than how can your transaction was approved?

But do it Quick as it might already be too late, do not leave it for tomorrow.

Guys, I called FirstCry.Com's helpline and the customer service guy assured me that their Axis bank gateway is 100% secure and there is no possibility of it getting hacked. He told me to check with the bank and only they can help with this issue.

adi_vastava said:
>>

Did you enter your visa protection pwd as well? if so change it ASAP or block the card itself. If not than how can your transaction was approved?

But do it Quick as it might already be too late, do not leave it for tomorrow.

The payment page stopped before it could load the Verified-By-Visa page, So I did not enter it. I also checked the Verified-By-Visa authentication log and there is no transaction made through it. And IOB doesn't have a 24/7 support :( I can only get things done by morning.

>>The payment page stopped before it could load the Verified-By-Visa page, So I did not enter it.

So back to original question how did the transaction got approve?? do ASK the bank.

>>>And IOB doesn't have a 24/7 support

WTF

adi_vastava said:
>>The payment page stopped before it could load the Verified-By-Visa page, So I did not enter it.

So back to original question how did the transaction got approve?? do ASK the bank.
The payment did not get approved ! As I said, I immediately check the bank balance and it was not debited. My speculation is this gateway should've been under attack and thus my CC details leaked on to the fraudster.

But you if you didn't entered the verified by VISA password how the transaction completed? Even if any one gets your debit or credit card no. it's of no use (online) unless they know your VBV password also.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Is your PC adequately secured? Check for any malware / keylogger etc.

adi_vastava said:

AFAIK, VBV and Mastercard Securecode are mandated by RBI, and they are not required for international transactions. Everytime I pay for Godaddy with my credit card, all that is needed is the card number and the CVV number. The same appears to be the case here, seeing that Delias is a US based shop.

@OP: Do keep Delias in loop, try contacting their customer service too. Make sure that your bank stops the transaction tomorrow. Hopefully, the transaction can be cancelled before the fund is released. And of course, change your card pin and passwords..

vinodh89 said:
An hour bank I checked the balance again and to my shock there has been a transaction of 14,036 and 18,459 rupees totalling to around 33,000 Rupees :(

Damm, This is precisely why I dont use my debit card ever for online or offline transactions. I use it for ATM, thatz it.

I hope you get your money back fast.

What was the original amount in the shopping cart??

I have never used my ICICI Visa debit card online but how can i make sure that the Verified by Visa thing is available for me ?? I want to add this extra level of protection to my debit card too.

I have a ICICI Master card CC and that has the secure code stuff, but then again it does not work for international websites i guess.

^^ Most international websites that do accept cards that way also do a lot of verification from their side before approving a transaction. For instance when I ordered memory from Memory-Configurator UK, they sent a fax to my bank for verification of my CC details. My transaction was initially rejected on the basis that the shipping address I provided was different from the billing address of my credit card. I had to change the shipping address to same as billing address in order to get the transaction approved.

As for using debit card online, you should rather not use it at all for online transactions or swipe it in shops for payment. Especially if your main salary account or any account where you keep a lot of cash is linked to that card.

^^ Thats the very reason i have 2 ICICI accounts and most of the cash stays in another account, for which i do not have any debit card at all. My main salary account always contains cash upto a certain limit.

Icici offers a virtual credit card for which we can set our own limit within the limit of primary credit card. It would be great if they introduce such a feature for debit cards.

Do get it in touch with your bank at the earliest.

If the gateway was(is) safe then you also need to check your PC/laptop for keyloggers etc. Secondly IOB's website mentions this as person for Internet/mobile Banking call/mail him. Shri.V.Narayan, Sr. Manager Internet /Mobile Banking 044-28889350/28519460 narayanv@iobnet.co.in

As the transaction is done on international site VBV procedure are not required, only Debit Card details are enough, you need to talk to the website whose coupons are issued and ask them to block the coupons. Additionally talk to the branch manager/PO in your branch who has idea about Internet banking to initiate the charge back process on your behalf from the website.

vpraveenis said:
Icici offers a virtual credit card for which we can set our own limit within the limit of primary credit card. It would be great if they introduce such a feature for debit cards.

Do get it in touch with your bank at the earliest.
HDFC has this feature for debit cards, its called netsafe, if i buy something for Rs150, i can generate Rs 150 VCC using my debit card details, i use this always for online payments.

UPDATE ! I called the Delias customer service and they've revoked the amount on my request. So most prolly I should get the funds(14k) back in my account in a week or so.

And there is another transaction of 18k which in my bank statement shows as EMERGENCY EFTPOS. And I've got no clue on this. From a bit of googling it looks like the fraudster has used my card to recharge his cashcard(in some countries debitcards are called this way)

Any one has any idea on what this EMERGENCY EFTPOS means ?

^^ Great thing that delias responded positively. Hope the other transaction gets cancelled too. WHat did the bank say?

Back