[HELP] Windows 7 booting problems

Dhrubo

Disciple
Apr 28, 2010
With all the things happening in my life lately, my PC has been lying unused (unloved :() for quite some time now. First things first, the config -
AMD Phenom II X4 945 at stock
CORSAIR XMS3 DDR2 (2 x 2 GB @800Mhz)
MSI NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB
WD Blue 500GB
Corsair 430W PSU (fail to recollect the exact model no)
Gigabyte MB (fail to recollect the exact model no)
Problem - Windows 7 keeps crashing. Gets stuck at the splash screen. This has happened thrice now. Everytime I have reinstalled (in a different drive) windows but the problem re appears after some days. It might be important to note that I did get BSODs during this interim period when the PC works (possible hardware failure).
Diagnostics so far - I ran memtest+ and immediately got host of errors (test#4). Pulled out the RAMs cleaned them and put one back in a new slot. Ran memtest again - no errors. I tried to reboot but again startup fails. Startup recovery runs overnight but doesn't do a thing. I ran chkdsk on windows partition. It ran okay. Also tried windows memory diagnostic and it passed as well.
Plan to test my HDD in a different system today.
Any ideas to further diagnose the problem is welcome. Thanks in advance.

P.S - Might as well add that the speaker input at the back stopped working a while back. Can it be a failing motherboard?

CapriAnupam

Adept
Apr 1, 2012
If you have installed OS in different drives, and it's giving problems everytime, means there is something wrong with the hardware of the system.

You should have noted the BSOD error code... because that error code, and the error message will help greatly in identifying the problem. So, next time you get the BSOD, please note down the error code, and the error message.

What do you mean by startup recovery?

Did you try booting in safe mode?

Dhrubo

Disciple
Apr 28, 2010
^Thanks. Ah, okay, will do that (physical memory dump was the desc, not sure about the code). I did try safe mode but failed again.
Startup recovery is part of the windows diagnostic tools. You get it in advanced boot options.

iyengar

Adept
May 27, 2010
yeap without the error code its hard to pin point in any direction. Google is you friend. We can find the feasible solution which wont burn your pockets for sure

Dhrubo

Disciple
Apr 28, 2010
Found out the HDD has gone kaput. Bad sectors. Have applied for RMA. Thanks for the help guys.