[HELP] Windows XP not booting.

hawk128

Disciple
Device - Acer Aspire D260
Specs - Acer Aspire D260 specs
OS - Windows XP sp3 | Easy Peasy 1.6 Dual Boot

Scenario - Windows XP not booting.
  • Windows loading screen appears and then system reboots.
  • Booting in Safe Mode(s).
  • VGA mode - Not Booting
  • Last known configuration - Not Booting
Already tried in safe mode -
  • Chkdsk
  • played around with msconfig
  • virus/malware scan
  • system restore is turned off
Now,
  1. Any suggestions to get it to boot in gui ?
  2. Is XP installation via usb stick possible ? ( Currently dual booting with easy peasy )
  3. Would prefer not to format, but if I format ( I get windows image somehow) but how do i get the activation key ? (I mean this device has genuine xp pre-installed)
  4. How good will windows 7 starter be on this config. ? ( Light gamer - aoe,cs,diablo2,nfs u2 etc)
  5. Can I activate win 7 with my key from ^3 (Assuming ^3 is possible )

Have you tried "last know good configuration" ?? And when was it working properly, and what is the last thing that you did on your system ??

If your other os is working fine, then it means it's a software problem.
Try doing a repair install of XP sp3.

CA50 said:
Have you tried "last know good configuration" ?? And when was it working properly, and what is the last thing that you did on your system ??
  • Last know configuration - Not Booting (mentioned in first post)
  • Last thing I did : Dont know; Computer was idle(connected to power;internet),and had to go out for a few hours, after coming back ^^^.

iamddevil said:
If your other os is working fine, then it means it's a software problem.
Try doing a repair install of XP sp3.
Err...thats what I mentioned in first post.Its a netbook. Re-installing xp is PITA.
Some boot/driver file or registry node seems to be corrupted. ( Prob. display driver;but Not Booting in VGA Mode either. )

Any suggestion guys ?

Also,
  1. Is XP installation via usb stick possible ? ( Currently dual booting with easy peasy )
  2. Would prefer not to format, but if I format ( I get windows image somehow) but how do i get the activation key ? (I mean this device has genuine xp pre-installed)
  3. How good will windows 7 starter be on this config. ? ( Light gamer - aoe,cs,diablo2,nfs u2 etc)
  4. Can I activate win 7 with my key from ^3 (Assuming ^3 is possible )

did u do defragmentation and left the system for defrag , coz something of this sort happened with me when i left my system on defrag and when i came back , same thing was happening on my pc , but my system booted with last known good configuration :)

1. Boot into safe mode

2. Disable all the startup options.

3. Disable all 3rd party services.

Let's hope this helps you boot normally.

CA50 said:
You don't have to reinstall windows, just repair it, its not that PITA
^Ohh...yes!

MohitPreet said:
did u do defragmentation and left the system for defrag , coz something of this sort happened with me when i left my system on defrag and when i came back , same thing was happening on my pc , but my system booted with last known good configuration :)
^No,It was totally idle. And I didn't schedule any defrag. or any system operation.

carbonn said:
1. Boot into safe mode
2. Disable all the startup options.
3. Disable all 3rd party services.

Let's hope this helps you boot normally.
Tried all that, still only boots in safe mode.

Finally Re-installing/Repairing... :mad:. Now,
  1. Would prefer not to format, but if I format ( I get windows image somehow) but how do i get the activation key ? (I mean this device has genuine xp pre-installed)
  2. How good will windows 7 starter be on this config. ? ( Light gamer - aoe,cs,diablo2,nfs u2 etc)
  3. Can I activate win 7 with my key from ^1 (Assuming ^1 is possible )
Thanks
CA50,iamddevil,MohitPreet,carbonn for all your suggestions.

^ Ohh thanks a lot buddy.Rep`d !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok. Re-installed xp. Problem`o Solved.

Thanks CA50, iamddevil, MohitPreet, carbonn for all your help and suggestions.

---------

@Ballmer & @Gates : I will get you for this ! Bleh !

Back