Help with a new build - Mutimedia and Multitasking

seraph7

Disciple
Hi Everyone.

I am planning to buy a new pc next month and would like some advice from you. I don't know much about computers so please bear with my lack of knowledge. :)

I mostly work with 3D and Video Editing applications like Maya, 3Ds Max and After Effects - and lots of Photoshop. I would like my new system to be able to multitask, for example ... I should be able to work with Photoshop and maybe browse the web while my 3d file gets rendered at high resolution.? Is that possible?

My budget is around 55k ... but I can add another 15k to it if REALLY necessary.

Can you suggest me a config at the 55k price range.

Parts excluded: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers.

Thanks a lot for your time. :)

Core i-5 750 9.8k
Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 7.7k
Gskill 4 gb ram 7k
1 TB WD Black 5.4k
Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 15.8k
LanCool DragonLord PC-K56W 4.5k
Corsair VX550 4.8k
L.G. GH22NS30 /Samsung SH-S22F SATA DVD-Writer 1.1k
TOTAL ~ 56.1K

thanks Sumit05 for the reply .... but will this config last me for atleast 2-3 years without a problem ? or will I have to upgrade again in a year ?

hey Jambumali .. thnx for the link ... :) it helped clear some doubts .... but there's two things I am not sure of...

1) I read that the i5 processor doesn't support HyperThreading ..... but I am not sure if the current 3D applications or Photoshop make use of the HT feature or not?

2) I also read that the i7 processor can support Triple Channel RAM? What advantage does that have?

sorry for being noobish ... but I eagerly wait for an answer ...

seraph7 said:
hey Jambumali .. thnx for the link ... :) it helped clear some doubts .... but there's two things I am not sure of...

1) I read that the i5 processor doesn't support HyperThreading ..... but I am not sure if the current 3D applications or Photoshop make use of the HT feature or not?

2) I also read that the i7 processor can support Triple Channel RAM? What advantage does that have?

sorry for being noobish ... but I eagerly wait for an answer ...

Dude here is the answer how a Dual Channel memory set up works as well as how it helps the overall performance :), you should able to scale the meaning of Triple Channel and gauge its significance :hap2:

Everything You Need to Know About Dual Channel | Hardware Secrets -- For how channeling affects

Dual-channel architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- For how channeling in the Intel and AMD cores work

Triple-channel architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- How triple channel only supported by Core i7

Best of Luk with finding your best value Setup :eek:hyeah:
Go Original or Go Open Source

Thanks ALPHA17, ... after reading about the i7 .. I think i should go along with the i7 930 instead of the i5, since it seems to be more future-proof and better suited to my needs.

I'm not sure if it is available in Hyderabad though?

Another thing I'm not sure of, is whether I should wait a little longer for the prices of the i7 to drop - since AMD is coming out with its 6 core CPU's soon? What do you say?

seraph7 said:
Thanks ALPHA17, ... after reading about the i7 .. I think i should go along with the i7 930 instead of the i5, since it seems to be more future-proof and better suited to my needs.

I'm not sure if it is available in Hyderabad though?

Another thing I'm not sure of, is whether I should wait a little longer for the prices of the i7 to drop - since AMD is coming out with its 6 core CPU's soon? What do you say?

Dude chill me bought my system from Hyd, no I don't recommend you waiting for the AMD Thuban to release go for the i7 930, inquire with the guys in the SWETA Computer and Peripherals in CTC Secunderabad or Bhumika Peripherals ( Underground )

If you are buying the system around April 14th and don't plan to over clock your system buy the GIGABYTE X58A UD3R :eek:hyeah: mobo as its the best value Intel mobo that will be released and plz don't buy the MSI X58 Pro E mobo it simply sucks :no:

Actually got this new thread on net read up before purchase, and now if you think you can wait for the Thuban it looks mighty attractive.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/01/intel-core-i7-930-cpu-review/1

This is a run up between the 920 and the 930 I don't have a bead on when the Thuban is scheduled to release

Hmm ... I think i'll just take the i7 930 ..won't wait for the AMD x6 ...

Btw, why did u say "if you don't plan to overclock your system buy the GIGABYTE X58A UD3R" ?

I was actually hoping i could overclock my system ..-- although I;ve never done it before -- since I read that the i7 930 and i5 series are easy to overclock?

seraph7 said:
Hmm ... I think i'll just take the i7 930 ..won't wait for the AMD x6 ...

Btw, why did u say "if you don't plan to overclock your system buy the GIGABYTE X58A UD3R" ?

I was actually hoping i could overclock my system ..-- although I;ve never done it before -- since I read that the i7 930 and i5 series are easy to overclock?

Bro then you might as well buy the GIGABYTE X58A UD5 super motherboard, very future proof :hap2:

Okay ... some more questions :

1) Core i7 930 is not available right now .... is it really worth waiting , instead of getting a 920?

2) I came upon this mobo .. Asus p6T ? How does it compare with the Gigabyte UD5?

3) Is it a good idea to wait for another 15 days for the prices of DDR3 to drop?

seraph7 said:
Okay ... some more questions :

1) Core i7 930 is not available right now .... is it really worth waiting , instead of getting a 920?

2) I came upon this mobo .. Asus p6T ? How does it compare with the Gigabyte UD5?

3) Is it a good idea to wait for another 15 days for the prices of DDR3 to drop?

1)Won't make much of a difference, You can go ahead with the 920 if you so wish, OR you could get a Xeon W3520 instead. Its base clock speed is a bit lower as compared to the i7s, but it is equal to the i7 920/930 in every other way, and being a Xeon its server grade, cherry picked silicon that will likely overclock better and at lower voltages. Best of all, it won't cost you much more than an i7 920 :).

2)The ASUS P6T is a fine motherboard, you can go ahead with that though i would personally recommend the Gigabyte EX58 UD5 which is just as good, cheaper and more intuitive(subjective) when it comes to overclocking.

3)Not really, go ahead with the purchase.

Once you have finalized the platform you wish to go for, more specific advice can be given. Also, what resolution/display do you intend to use with this PC?

Thanx Amien for the info ...

I think this is what I've made up my mind about so far :

CPU: Core i7 930/920 whichever is available

Mobo: Gigabyte EX58 UD5

RAM: GSkil / OCZ / Corsair / Kingston 4 GB

The next thing I am not sure about is the graphics card....?

I read in some other thread that a multimedia rig doesn't necessarily need a card with DX11 or SLI capability? Or does it?

seraph7 said:

I read in some other thread that a multimedia rig doesn't necessarily need a card with DX11 or SLI capability? Or does it?

Not the right way but you can have a ATI HD 5450 or 5570 if you don't plan to game or do other such intense graphical intense tasks :hap2: and if you want to do light gaming HD 5670 or 5750

HD 5450 - 5570 around 6K to 7K
HD 5670 - 5750 around 7K to 9K

Your Call bro :eek:hyeah:

seraph7 said:

On the LGA 1366 platform you should look at triple channel memory. So 3 DIMMS instead of two. Buy a 3x2GB tri-channel kit instead of a 2x2GB dual channel. (2x2GB will still run fine though, so you can buy a dual kit to save cash if need be, i'd still recommend a tri-channel kit)

If you are looking for SATA2 and USB3 capability at the same/lower price and don't plan on using more than 2 GPU/6-8GB of RAM anytime in the future, get the Gigabyte EX 58A UD3R instead. It will serve your purpose as well as the UD5(overclocking included).

Use the remainder of your budget to buy a GPU. Make sure you buy a good PSU for your system.

Hey guys ...sorry for the delay ... i crossed my monthly internet limit so couldn't come online for 2 days :D ... felt like forever ........

Anyways ....

@ALPHA17 : I was looking at some of the ATI cards ... found HD 5770... I was planning to buy it. But then, one of my friends who bought a new rig recently , started having problems with his 5770 ... his pc would freeze suddenly .. with vertical lines all over the screen. A Google search revealed that this seems to be a problem many 5770 users are facing. Now this is making me have second thoughts about getting the ATI HD 5xxx series ? ? ?

@Amien: Hmm... I'm a little confused now.. I just checked the Gigabyte website and .. under the LGA1366 category I see two kinds of boards .. one is the GA-EX58-UD3R and the other is GA-X58A-UD3R . How different are they? And which do you suggest that I buy?

Gigabyte website link:

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Comparison Sheet

seraph7 said:
Hey guys ...sorry for the delay ... i crossed my monthly internet limit so couldn't come online for 2 days :D ... felt like forever ........

Anyways ....

@ALPHA17 : I was looking at some of the ATI cards ... found HD 5770... I was planning to buy it. But then, one of my friends who bought a new rig recently , started having problems with his 5770 ... his pc would freeze suddenly .. with vertical lines all over the screen. A Google search revealed that this seems to be a problem many 5770 users are facing. Now this is making me have second thoughts about getting the ATI HD 5xxx series ? ? ?

@Amien: Hmm... I'm a little confused now.. I just checked the Gigabyte website and .. under the LGA1366 category I see two kinds of boards .. one is the GA-EX58-UD3R and the other is GA-X58A-UD3R . How different are they? And which do you suggest that I buy?

Gigabyte website link:
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Comparison Sheet

Hey there,
Firstly, the vertical line problem AFAIK has been resolved, it affected most of the 5xxx series if i remember correctly, a non issue though.

The two motherboards you posted are identical in every other way, except that the X58 A has USB 3.0 and SATA3 6GB/ps support(2 extra ports for each, rest of the ports are standard). Make your choice depending on weather you need these and if the price difference between them justifies it.

Back