Graphic Cards HELP! with brand new Sapphire HD6870 Vapor-X.... :(

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
Guys... I am in immense pain. I recently bought Sapphire HD6870 Vapor-X card from US. Unfortunately, as soon as I plugged it in my PC, on of the IC on the back of the card started spitting out smoke. I immediately removed the card from the system, but the damage was already done.

Before you guys point out to PSU. I have Corsair TX-650 psu and yes, I had connected both PCI-E power cables to the card properly. I had made sure that the card is sitted properly in the PCI-E slot. On the same slot and same PSU, my 5770 is running fine, even in OC'ed state. Rest of my config can be seen in my signature. It just seem like gadgets gods are not favoring my luck this week. :(

Anyway, the next steps on my agenda will be to call up Aditya infotech about possibility of RMA. I'm not sure if they will handle this since this card is bought from US. Can anyone here guide me if anything can be done in this matter? Another TE member mentioned that some guys here have managed to get quick RMA done for their US bought cards. Does anyone here have any direct connections that can be of some help in this matter? Please share anything that will help in this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Yeah seems like some of them DID manage to get their card RMA'd. Because Aditya doesn't seem to care for the bill/invoice but the serial number of the card.

Damn this sucks! :/

A friend RMA'd a todphod 3870 (which was at its end of two year warranty period) locally to Aditya but had to pay about 1500 extra. The new card however had fresh three year local warranty.

If that does not work out for you, I'd suggest sending to Hong Kong, better than sending it back to the US.

If the card has any signs of burns, no hope then.

damn said:
A friend RMA'd a todphod 3870 (which was at its end of two year warranty period) locally to Aditya but had to pay about 1500 extra. The new card however had fresh three year local warranty.

If that does not work out for you, I'd suggest sending to Hong Kong, better than sending it back to the US.

If the card has any signs of burns, no hope then.
Why the hell is it our fault if the damn thing fries up? The OP has a PSU exceeds the requirements run these in even crossfire, and the card fires up as soon as it is installed; just shows that Sapphire's testing is not good enough. And this is the Vapor-X model too, what a shame!

Update on the situation, sorry for not posting this earlier:

I had sent the dead card to Aditya Infotech for checking out the possibility of whatever that can be done. Last month-end, I was told that since the card was bought from US nothing can be done and I'll have to send it back to US for possible RMA. I was told to collect the dead body of my card after a week. I forgot to call them after a week due to my work load. Upon calling them about a week ago about collecting my card, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Aditya guys were ready to replace my card with either same or equivalent model, as per the availability. Finally, they provided me with 6950 1GB card for 1k extra. The new card carries 3 years warranty, which doesn't matter much as the 6870 was just couple months old, but nice to know anyways. :)

Meanwhile, on 11th I purchased this 6950 from Prime ABGB as I had lost hopes on 6870 getting replaced here. So now I'm having two of the same cards and I'm not interested in crossfiring them (one reason because my mobo is 16x + 4x, so not very ideal for CF). So if anyone is interested in buying Sapphire 6950 1GB, I've put the card bought from Prime ABGB, up for sale : Sapphire 6950 (1GB) - 3 weeks old [3 years warranty]

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions/tips/ideas by TE members, even though most of the suggestions were provided offline and not here. :p

Back