Help with BSNL Billing Issue

Anish

Skilled
Alright folks, as I had predicted, them morons have billed me for my usage between 2AM - 2:30AM, and a bill with excess charges of ~2.2k has been thrown at my face.

Spoke with the accounts officer who was pretty reassuring saying the situation will be "looked into" and has asked me to write a letter stating the problem.

Now this might go on for eternity, so the people who have faced this before, I'd really appreciate your guidance and your success stories (if any!).

For starters, any specific things to mention when writing to them, or is there any completely alternate procedure also possible?

Thanks a lot of everybody in advance, your advice will be extremely helpful :)

P.S. - I'm on the Home 500 plan.

i got an excess bill for 23k... :lol:

this was way back when they just launched and had the free unltd thingy running...

ran from pillar to post. dint pay bill for 3-4 months.. finally sense prevailed and i got my connection disconnected along with a cancellation of the previous charges.

Also, from what ive heard, the billing server times are a lil different as compared to real world time :p

sTALKEr said:
Also, from what ive heard, the billing server times are a lil different as compared to real world time :p
Right, but then the time on their billing records also show billed usage between 2:00-2:30.

Disconnection is not an option sadly cause firstly its a landline for the house, plus there's no other BB service in my area :(

if the time on their records shows that u were billed from 2:00 to 2:30 then you shouldnt be having any issues at all.

mebbe a visit to the local excahnge to meet some manager types fellow is on the cards.. but otherwise, dont see why you should be apprehensive..

Anish said:
Disconnection is not an option sadly cause firstly its a landline for the house, plus there's no other BB service in my area :(

Was faced with a similar situation. Don't think i've still got my moonee back (~2.5k) :S . But thats cuz of different reasons...

Here's what you do,

Log into that internet usage portal. Select the previous month (assuming thats what you have been charged for) and it'l show u ALL the connections/disconnections, time online, data transferred and most importantly - time and date. Copy all this to Excel and then say highlight all the ones where you have been charged b/w 2am-8am. Keep those and discard the

The exchange or the BSNL office can't do anything for you. Take a copy of this to the Accounts dept and you will have to haggle with them a lot. Make a complaint and keep following up with them. The amount will/should be credited into your account (Tel no.)

Hope this helps :hap2:

Ank1t said:
Was faced with a similar situation. Don't think i've still got my moonee back (~2.5k) :S . But thats cuz of different reasons...

Here's what you do,

Log into that internet usage portal. Select the previous month (assuming thats what you have been charged for) and it'l show u ALL the connections/disconnections, time online, data transferred and most importantly - time and date. Copy all this to Excel and then say highlight all the ones where you have been charged b/w 2am-8am. Keep those and discard the

The exchange or the BSNL office can't do anything for you. Take a copy of this to the Accounts dept and you will have to haggle with them a lot. Make a complaint and keep following up with them. The amount will/should be credited into your account (Tel no.)

Hope this helps :hap2:
Thanks a ton! I'll be printing screenshots of the billing page and attaching it to my letter to the accounts section.

virtua_pirate said:
how about shooting out few mails to the DGM(BB)...take screenshots of the billing sessions wherein you have been charged for the NU period and send 'em along...
Edit: found this id of the DGM on BSNL's site
dnwsw@sancharnet.in
Great idea mate! Will keep it in mind if these guys do nothing.

Thanks a ton guys! Keep 'em coming :D

Anish what ankit has suggested is sureshot idea.

I have been able to reduce the billing of my Spare internet phone in days of dialup internet.

You take a look at local telephone directory and note down the names / designation / phone no. of officers in ascending order.

You have to daily go to their office, talk with them politely and most importantly talk to them in English i dont know why but english speaking person get their work done in multilingual govt. departments faster. This is my first hand experience.

and go after them relentlessly till your last day of bill payment arrives. on the last day you have to pay to prevent disconnection.

even after payment go relentlessly to get the credit. you will get it.

I just paid and switched to unltd.

dad did go to some tribunal and managed to get some compensation, but that was for the billing + connectivity issues we had.

Still there is some internal redressal forum/tribunal . present your case ,and they will decide on the compensation

Well I had got a bill of 84k once :D

I went to the BSNL regional office here and met the CRO(customer relation officer ) and Accounts officer. I didn't take any printouts as well as I was on unlimited plan and still managed to get that bill :p

The discrepancy was corrected in next bill ....in fact my attitude towards BSNL changed after meeting the officers there. They were quite friendly and unlike the people in local exchanges

One of my friends had a similar issue with BSNL, he initially faced some problems, but then he managed to find out some "Connection" with some BSNL billing official.....the problem was solved within hours....they just accepted Rs.500 as the monthly charge and no paperwork at all....just like that ! So I guess It would greatly help if one could find out someone who knows someone within BSNL .....

I got 16k+ bills twice. First time, I printed logs for the whole month and gave a letter to accounts officer. But had to go there personally to get it fixed. They didnt even look at the logs and just fixed the problem.

The next time, I just went to the lady who had helped me first time and again it was solved. Only problem with BSNL is paperwork moves too slowly. If you know the right person, things can be fixed in minutes.

- Go to the senior AO of your area and give him written complaint/request for adjusting your bill.

- Include details of times when chargeable usage overlaps with free usage.

- Important : Give a written request for extending your bill's due date till the matter is resolved.

- Whatever printed requests/complaints you submit, make sure you get a take a photocopy along and get their sign + stamp. With BSNL, its important to keep a receipt.
I got a bill of ~2.5 lacs for feb 2008, and the matter is still under consideration :mad:

Supra said:
I went to the BSNL regional office here and met the CRO(customer relation officer ) and Accounts officer. I didn't take any printouts as well as I was on unlimited plan and still managed to get that bill :p

It was that simple for you cuz you were on UL plan man :)

I ONCE GOT A 7K BILL !!!
Thankfully i used to monitor my daily usage regularly and had taken print outs(screenshots) as proof to show my usage..
apparently,some anonymous person(mostly @ bsnl) was using my account and every afternoon when i was in college & my comp. switched off,there was a .7~ 1gb entry in my usage ..!!! And i was in the home 250 plan !!!

these b$trd$ actually do that !

thnx to my presence of mind i just ended up paying about 800 bucks for my actual usage and got my bsnl connection DISCONNECTED forever!!! the screenshots of the usage really came in handy !!

have been a happy airtel customer ever since...:cool2:

thetoxicmind said:
some anonymous person(mostly @ bsnl) was using my account and every afternoon when i was in college & my comp.

well, there is no need for them to do that because they all get un-metered 8MB connection :S. either it could be a family member or your neighbour thru your wireless modem(if you got one and configured to make connections automatically).

A friend of mine works at BSNL and sometimes avail his help to download huge files(mostly OS distributions) ;) .

sTALKEr said:
from what ive heard, the billing server times are a lil different as compared to real world time :p

Yep, 2 mins at my place, if you connect before say 2:03 local time (the server time might be 1:59), any thing you download within the next 15mins does not fall under night-unlimited, weird accounting.

Back