Budget 71-90K Help with building Rig for friend

bazinga

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
----nil-----

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
-----nil-----

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
---not decided. Need help-----

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
------Permanent----

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
HTPC
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies
College project designing with CAD etc.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
-----none-----

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Strategy - Civilization 4
Racing - Grid at medium to high settings
GTA 5(if it comes on PC)
Skyrim
Crysis 3 etc

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
---max possible on the monitor----

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
---open to overclock. Not that he absolutely wants to-----

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 8 64 bit
Linux 12.10

Please suggest suitable configuration. Thank you.

bazinga Go with this-
Intel Core i5 3570K -15k+Thermalright Silver Arrow-3.8k
GIGABYTE-Z77X-UD3H-13k OR ASUS P8Z77-V PRO-16.5k
G.Skill RIPJAWS X 4GB x2 1600MHz -3.5k
Segate 1TB 7200RPM-4.2k
Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X edition-22.5k
Seasonic S12II 620W - 5.3k OR Corsair TX650V2-5.4k
Dell ST2220L-8.5k
Corsair Carbide 400R -5.4k
Crucial M4 128GB SSD-8.5k
If you don't want to overclock then-
Intel i5 3450-12k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k
Everything else as above.

good suggestions @Jakob..... I just thought of adding the following

PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W - 4.4k
SSD - could go for OCZ Vertex 4 (this will save you 1K over the Crucial M4). Performance wise, I do not know which is better.

You need to add a UPS too (since our friend is from Bangalore).... @ALPHA17; @Jakob .... which model of APC

Cheers
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
For this rig OP should put in few bucks and get Corsair TX650V2 OR Seasonic S12ii 620W since he's overclocking this will give him enough headroom for both CPU and GPU.The Crucial M4 and OCZ Vertex4 perform quite the same so OP can go for either one.
UPS will go out of his budget,OP will have to get the SSD later if he adds APC 1.1KVA-4.5k OR Microtech 800VA-3.5k,I have read that APC UPS has issues with Corsair PSU so that would depend on which psu OP will get.
good suggestions Jakob..... I just thought of adding the following

PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W - 4.4k
SSD - could go for OCZ Vertex 4 (this will save you 1K over the Crucial M4). Performance wise, I do not know which is better.

You need to add a UPS too (since our friend is from Bangalore).... ALPHA17; Jakob .... which model of APC

Cheers
Terry

@bazinga ditch over-clocking and go for this --

Intel Core i5 3570 ~14500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3000/-
Crucial M4 128GB SSD ~8000/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4000/-
HP / ASUS (boxed) optical drive ~1100/-
Sapphire HD7950 3GB Vapor-X edition ~23000/-
Seasonic S12II 620W ~5200/-
DeLL Ultrasharp U2312M ~15000/-
Corsair Carbide 400R ~5000/-
APC 1100VA-IN ~4500/-
Logitech MK 200 wired combo ~750/-
[audio peripherals at your discretion]

Hope this helps, Cheers!

@bazinga ditch over-clocking and go for this --

Intel Core i5 3570 ~14500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3000/-
Crucial M4 128GB SSD ~8000/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4000/-
HP / ASUS (boxed) optical drive ~1100/-
Sapphire HD7950 3GB Vapor-X edition ~23000/-
Seasonic S12II 620W ~5200/-
DeLL Ultrasharp U2312M ~15000/-
Corsair Carbide 400R ~5000/-
APC 1100VA-IN ~4500/-
Logitech MK 200 wired combo ~750/-
[audio peripherals at your discretion]

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Is there any way it can be brought down to 75k? or max 80k? Also, my friend wanted to know whether an iMac would be a viable option in this case? The price of the new Mac is almost same right? Also, perhaps GPU can be compromised a bit to bring down the prices? Please let me know. Thanks a ton. @ALPHA17 AND @Jakob
Also will the Mobo be enough? i mean, i have seen people go for more expensive ones. Not that price directly translates to quality . But i would like to know the other options. Thanks.

Is there any way it can be brought down to 75k? or max 80k? Also, my friend wanted to know whether an iMac would be a viable option in this case? The price of the new Mac is almost same right? Also, perhaps GPU can be compromised a bit to bring down the prices? Please let me know. Thanks a ton. @ALPHA17 AND @Jakob
Also will the Mobo be enough? i mean, i have seen people go for more expensive ones. Not that price directly translates to quality . But i would like to know the other options. Thanks.

The motherboard is one area where we are trying to push down the prices. Other options worth a dekho --
  • Intel DH77-KC ~6500/-
  • ASUS P8H77-V ~10000/-
You can sacrifice the SSD for now and go for the RIG.

Rest all I would prefer if you leave untouched.

Hope this helps, Cheerio

Okay here's my suggestion:
First of all before choosing Flipkart or other online vendors, please do check with local vendors, I saved almost 10K on my system.

Intel i5 3570k (it can be overclocked greatly in future and you never need i7 for gaming as it has 2 extra hyperthreads which games don't use) INR 14500
ASUS P8Z77-M (its Micro ATX so can be fitted in smaller cabinets also.) INR 11000
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB x 2 = 8 GB INR 3300
Asus AMD/ATI HD7950-DC2T 3 GB GDDR5 INR 27000
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600W (for futureproof overclocking) INR 4500
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB INR 4000
Dell 21.5 inch LED - S2240L Monitor INR 8.5K
Asus/Samsung DVD RW INR 1100
Logitech/Microsoft Keyboard+Mouse Combo INR 750
Get simple cabinet for now and save money for a good motherboard. INR 2000

Total goes to 76650 INR. All rates are from local Asus vendor Rashitek.
Wifi Modem from TP Link 1500 INR

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Strategy - Civilization 4
Racing - Grid at medium to high settings
GTA 5(if it comes on PC)
Skyrim
Crysis 3 etc
Crysis 3 will work fine on this rig, rather you would be able to play it on near max settings if you reduce FXAA and Anti Aliasing. I am also waiting for GTA V on PC, but it will work on this Rig.

Hope this helps.

Okay here's my suggestion:
First of all before choosing Flipkart or other online vendors, please do check with local vendors, I saved almost 10K on my system.

+1

.....Get simple cabinet for now and save money for a good motherboard. INR 2000.

minus 1 ... Now that's disastrous advice. :annoyed:

If one is ready to pay 75-80k, you do not scrimp on the cabinet - This is the one place that will house all your (expensive) components, it need's to have good air-flow; at least 2-3 fans and room for future expansion. The cheapest & best cabinet is the NZXT Gamma (2.7-2.9k), otherwise the cabby that's suggested - Corsair Carbide 400R is an excellent one

minus 1 ... Now that's disastrous advice. :annoyed:

If one is ready to pay 75-80k, you do not scrimp on the cabinet - This is the one place that will house all your (expensive) components, it need's to have good air-flow; at least 2-3 fans and room for future expansion. The cheapest & best cabinet is the NZXT Gamma (2.7-2.9k), otherwise the cabby that's suggested - Corsair Carbide 400R is an excellent one

HA I was just saying it because max budget of OP is 75K and the config is already exceeding it. And for buying a good cabinet he must not compromise on Motherboard or Graphics card. He can buy a good cabinet later after saving some money. But if he can exceed his budget by just 3000 then all is done!

Asus AMD/ATI HD7950-DC2T 3 GB GDDR5 INR 27000
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600W (for futureproof overclocking) INR 4500
Get simple cabinet for now and save money for a good motherboard. INR 2000

Okay these three choices are the most bewildering --
  • Why go for the ASUS HD7950 card over the Sapphire Vapor-X edition card which is available for ~23000/-.
  • Don't. Just STOP! That SMPS is going to be a reason for a lot of heart-burn later, a Seasonic S12II 620W OR Corsair TX v2650W is minimum if OP plans to over-clock.
  • Bad advice, you want to put a bunch of equipment worth ~70000/- in the cheapest enclosure possible, the results will be less than stellar.
OP should forsake over-clocking and go for a simpler build investing the saved monies in other ends.

Asus offer two fans which always help in keeping the graphics card cooler and saves you from aftermarket coolers for your fan. You can overclock your GPU with the stock fans. Plus my friend was using Saphire GPU which gave problem and service was really really poor even in Chandigarh. So Asus which I am using from last 5 years has always been great in service. *(No offense though)*.
The PSU was according to his budget but I have other wise always recommended 80 Plus Silver or Gold.
And as far as Cabinet is considered you can get a good cabinet ATX one in 3000-4000.

Asus offer two fans which always help in keeping the graphics card cooler and saves you from aftermarket coolers for your fan. You can overclock your GPU with the stock fans. Plus my friend was using Saphire GPU which gave problem and service was really really poor even in Chandigarh. So Asus which I am using from last 5 years has always been great in service. *(No offense though)*.
The PSU was according to his budget but I have other wise always recommended 80 Plus Silver or Gold.
And as far as Cabinet is considered you can get a good cabinet ATX one in 3000-4000.

sapphire-7950-vaporx.jpg

Two fans are not a guarantee of cool operation. And I am not talking of over-clocking, the Sapphire card comes with a higher core-clock than the ASUS card and a dedicated one-touch boost system.

Hmmm... never heard bad service on Sapphire's India distributors but then not all are branches are equal.

That SMPS is definitely not intended to be used with such components.

Examples for a good ATX cabinet in ~3000/- -->4000/-?

Cooler Master K380
Corsair Carbide Series 300R

- - - Updated - - -

And one major thing is still left out, which is OS. It will also cost you much. And I would never recommend Pirated one ;)

Cooler Master K380
Corsair Carbide Series 300R

And one major thing is still left out, which is OS. It will also cost you much. And I would never recommend Pirated one ;)

The Carbide 300R is what I would recommend.

And yes, support you fully on point two. =]

Sorry for the late reply :) . I have suggested to my friend the components that you guys have suggested. He said that he will go to SP road this week. And also, he asked *again* whether an iMac be a viable option for the price. Il get back to you soon as he decides the config. Thanks for all the help. :yahoo:
Im trying to dissuade him from buying a Mac. Though whether it is viable, you should tell me. Then perhaps i can put across the point better. Thanks @ALPHA17 @Jakob @itspriyank

As you have mentioned :

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
HTPC
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies
College project designing with CAD etc.

You won't able to play games on the iMac. Almost all games use Directx which is unavailable on Mac OS, there are only a very few exceptions like World of Warcraft or Starcraft from Blizzard which can run on OpenGL/Mac. So your main demand does not get fulfilled with Mac. Plus you won't get as high configuration on iMac as on custom rig. You would be getting only a good looking computer to boast off :p (imho iMac or Mac suck *no offense*)

Back