Audio help with home theater

my friend owns a yamaha rx-v440 receiver. its an old model and he had it paired with some cheap indian speakers. now recently he bought a boston acoustic mcs100 5.1 package
i saw the receiver ratings online. it says 75W rms per channel @ 8 ohm with 0.06%THD and peak rms is 90W
i cannot find the spefications of the boston speakers on their official site but read it somewhere else that input should be between 20W-150W @ 8 ohms.

so can my friend play the receiver at a loud volume without causing any damage to the speakers ?

the guy who came to set it up said not to go beyond a certain volume because the receiver has a lot of power and speakers will not be able to handle that.

As the name suggests MCS 100 speakers work have 100 W RMS output per speaker including the subwoofer, you will be perfectly fine using the yammy. Infact with a 0.06% THD you can crank up the volume to whatever level you want it to be.

The MCS 100 datasheet is available here, http://www.bostonacoustics.com/newproduct/mcs100_npa.pdf you can verify that the recommended range for thsee speakers is 10-100W

ok...thanks a lot guys
now i am facing a little problem with my home theater
i have a marantz amplifier sr3001 and jamo s406 hcs 5 speaker package and jamo sub200 woofer
the front speakers are towers...so they handle bass pretty well

the distance between the speakers and woofer from my listening area is 16ft.
when i set it up at that distance in the amplifier there is no output from the woofer and all the bass is coming from the towers but when i decrease the woofer distance to say around 10ft. thats when the woofer gives output.

why is this happening ? considering the distance the woofer output should be higher at 16ft. than at 10ft. instead of no output

Err you sure the signal to the sub is not getting attenuated by the cable? Maybe the cable has a break inside. Try with a different cable. The amount of perceived bass depends on how close the sub is to the walls and especially the corners of the room.

well i dont think the cable has a break inside bcoz the sub is working when i set the distance at 9ft. but its not working when i set the distance at 16ft. ...had the cable been broken it shouldnt be workin at 9ft. also

and the woofer is kept in the same position at both the settings near the wall...

^ That and try increasing the db level of the woofer both from the receiver and the woofer to see if you hear anything.

Having said that, maybe it's some quirk in the SR 3001, I'd suggest you use a longer cable and bring the woofer closer to your listening area. Problem solved.

Back