Storage Solutions Help with my external hard disk, please?

lazygarfield

Adept
Jan 18, 2009
www.twitter.com
Hi,

I own a WD 1TB My Passport HDD. It supports USB 2.0 + 3.0. I bought it a little over a year ago, and it's still under warranty.

Now, the problem is that whenever I plug the HDD into my PC, the light comes on. It's detected by my PC. The drivers are successfully installed. But, the partition itself never shows up in My Computer.

I don't know why this has happened. The HDD did have just 2/935 GB free but that can't be the reason, right?

For security's sake, I tried plugging it into different ports on my laptop. I even gave it to a friend to try out on his laptop. No success :(

Help? It'd be highly appreciated :)

benryu

Adept
Dec 24, 2011
Probably an I/O error. Wait till some other members respond.

Also check in disk management if it is visible.

lazygarfield

Adept
Jan 18, 2009
www.twitter.com
Disk Management didn't recognize the HDD. It asked me to initialize it. I chose the MBR format. It said it couldn't perform the request because of an I/O error.

Now, what does that mean for me?

artattak

Disciple
Apr 24, 2012
The exact same thing happened to me. I had the 1 tb WD external essentials drive which required an external power source. I opened the casing and connected the drive directly to my SATA ports and tried to salvage the data using data recovery softwares but the drive wasn't getting recognized in any one of them. It shows up in computer management as uninitialized and any attempt to initialize it gives the same I/O error.

In the end the only option seems to be to give it to a data recovery agency. I tried with stellar and got a quote of 75k for the data recovery. Needless to say i cant afford to blow that much cash as an individual and the drive is lying on my shelf since with no other apparent solution.