CPU/Mobo Help with Processor and Motherboard

spidy333

Disciple
HI,

I have a little query.. about my new rig.. which cpu and mobo combination is best for gaming.. (I know dual cores perform better.. but I need a quad core as I'm not sure when will be next update for this computer)

Intel C2Q8200 + MSI P45 Neo-F
or AMD Phenom 9950 BE + Biostar TA790GX A2+

I know phenom II is around the corner.. but my budget is roughly 15k for both CPU and motherboard... so I may or may not be able to fit in this budget..

Is this gigabyte mobo any good.. GA-EP45-DS3L..

any problems with C2Q 8200 if I oc it to some higher speed on stock cooler... (It may not give performance similiar to C2d's but hey.. I will be gaming at 1440x900 resolution as this is the max resolution that my monitor cupports..)

if not C2Q 8200.. is C2Q 6600 good?

Also what is with those phenoms..priced at i7 prices..that just makes i7 look good at that price.. I am sure they are contenders for higher end quads.. which should make them priced at lesser than them.. so no AMD to me.. i was thinking phenom II 920 might come in the range of 9-10k...

^^ Higher C2D provides u better performance than Lower C2Q. U won't see any performance boost with additional 2 cores as the games r not optimized for Quads. :)

Just one more query.. How much frames will I loose when these proccies are compared at 1440x900 resolution with HD4850 card.. Q8200 vs Q6600 vs E8400..

I am not able to find any benchies or some sort of comparisons for q8200 where plenty are there for q6600 among which e8400 is a clear winner with 5-8 frames at 1280x1024 res and 10-20 frames at lower resolutions..

The main thing is I have absolutely no intention of upgrading the CPU which makes quad core a good option as the games that are coming out are getting optimized for quads.. so consider the long run also..

Future is i7 but if you are not willing to spend 35k for the i7 setup at this point then better get yourself a Q6600 with Asus P5Q or P5Q Pro this setup should suffice your need.No point going for Q8200 with 4mb cache etc.:)

How much can I OC the Q6600 on stock cooler with acceptable temps... I started to incline towards C2D's... Can I get it to near 3Ghz with stock cooler.. and what about Q8200?

Why cant I edit my posts... Ok I've made a decision.. seems Q6600 is all the way to go.. it also seems to be a pretty good overclocker.. Asus p5q boards are better but it will increase my budget.. So I think I will be having this setup most proabably.. Q6600 + GA-EP45-DS3L..

Check this thread before going for a gigabyte 4* series mobo though its only for d G4* series so should not be n issue in ur case:-

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/bad-news-for-gigabyte-mb-owners-125645.html :)

spidy333 said:
Why cant I edit my posts... Ok I've made a decision.. seems Q6600 is all the way to go.. it also seems to be a pretty good overclocker.. Asus p5q boards are better but it will increase my budget.. So I think I will be having this setup most proabably.. Q6600 + GA-EP45-DS3L..

Ok.. one little query.. Do I really need to get a P45 motherboard for quad.. or P31 or anything will be ok..

Is there any performance improvements by going to p45 motherboard.. compared with extra price that we need to pay for p45 board..

Back