Help with Sales Tax!!

Hey everyone
I recently bought some PC components from PrimeABGB amounting to Rs.44250. They sent it via FedEx and somewhere along the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border called Walayar checkpost, it was detained and I got a notice from them stating - "The consignee is not a registered dealer under KVAT & CST. Tax evasion suspected. SD demanded "
The amount that I have to pay is Rs.13500 which is about 30% of the item tax. What do I do? I'm not a dealer or part of any company. I'm just a student buying for personal use. How come I've to pay sales tax?
The place is nearly 450km from my home and about 10 hours of journey. I don't know & haven't seen the place before in my life. I don't even have the time for visiting there.
Can anyone with experience in this kindly help out? I'm really stuck in this situation !!
I have the purchase invoice and a shipment declaration made by PrimeABGB stating that it is only for personal use.

Never faced this problem, but the two times when my packages were sent by Surface (mostly heavy items and was sent through BlueDart) I had to submit Form 16 form along with my ID proof stating the details of the goods and declare that it was for personal use. BlueDart held the shipment at their Walayar warehouse or something until they received the docs from me.

So I believe this lack of declaration might have caused the issue and is needed only for packages coming by Surface mode, but Fedex should have asked for it.

is there any way to submit the documents without me personally going all the way there?

I never had to go there, I just submitted the docs at the BlueDart office near my house. But this should've been done before the shipment was sent through Walayar. I am not really sure of the process now after it has been fined.

Fedex and bluedart are turning out to be stupid couriers. They demand too many documents which are never asked by any other courier company.

Fedex and bluedart are turning out to be stupid couriers. They demand too many documents which are never asked by any other courier company.
Using FedEx has now become a very costly and tiresome affair. The last two shipments for me were netted by the OCtroi guys and no surprises here, both were handled by FedEx, all other couriers find thier way out of the silly Pune Octroi.

Back