Linux Help with xubuntu 9.04!

4m!7

Adept
Recenltly i have installed the xubuntu 9.04.
This is the first time I am using a Linux distro.
By far I am not able to run a single damn thing on it! :p
can you guyz please help me out:
Here are the problems I am facing.

1. I have downloaded nvidia Legacy drivers
The downloaded file is a .run file. I read a guide by which i was able to initiate the installation window. But then a error came saying "NVIDIA.run Should be installed from root". Plz help me out on this , as i absolutely dont have any idea on what i should be doing :|

2.How to enable compiz fusion in xubuntu 9.04.(one of the reasons i wanted to give linux a go :p)

3. I cant find my other HD drives. any clue.?

1. instead of running a downloaded nvidia installer is there not a "hardware manager" or "hardware drivers" option under system->administration? that should let you install nvidia legacy drivers.

2. once nvidia is installed then you can go to system->preferences->appearance and go to the desktop effects tab and enable it there.

3. other HD drives - what if you click the "places" menu does it show a list? are they ntfs? then install the "ntfs-3g" package if not already there on xubuntu...

^^That sums up pretty well. But still not quite the answer.

1. To gain root privileges. Open Terminal and type sudo su root

Enter root password and you are done. Now change the director and make it where the driver file is located ..

Example. : Suppose I have driver downloaded in the Music folder (/home/music)

Then do this
Code:
cd /home/<user_name>/music

similarly change the location..

Now to install just type

Code:
./name of the file.sh

and install the drivers.Once you have installed the driver. Navigate to system->administration-> hardware drivers and enable the driver. You may need to restart before enabling. The next 2 queries have been answered perfectly.

Oh right, for root access you should of course put "sudo" before the command like "sudo echo foo" or "sudo ./nvidia-blah.run" but I meant to say do not install the downloaded nvidia .run files rather try to install it from default places first...

im not sure but u can try executing the .run file by using the folloing command in terminal

./file.run (do this in the directory where that .run file exists)

if you get error..

rightclick on that file go to properties...

check 'allow execution' under permissions..

that's how it works for ati.run

see if it helps.

uninstalled xubuntu....something got screwed :|

will wait for ubuntu 9.10....

btw when is the final 9.10 coming out?

Back